How does a knot represent doing good deeds?

How does the knot on the Boy Scout emblem represent doing good deeds? We had a new boy join and I was about to do all the initial Boy Scout requirements with him and another boy tomorrow night. I understand the symbolism in everything else, but I didn't remember this one -- I have "knot" done my good deed for the day? Is the symbolism really all about (what seems to me to be) an atrocious pun?

Edit: Maybe this should be in a different forum. I was thinking that the knot is part of the Scout emblem as depicted on parts of the uniform, but maybe it should have been somewhere else. If that's the case, please move it.(This message has been edited by BartHumphries)

The knot represents "doing a good turn"

In Baden Powell's own words:

"The Scout's Necktie

I HAVE had a conundrum propounded to me as to the relation between a good turn and the knot in the Scout's tie. My idea was, and is, that the Scout should, in the morning, tie an extra knot in his necktie, or leave his necktie hanging outside his waistcoat, until he had done his good turn for that day, when he could resume the ordinary fashion of wearing his tie inside his waistcoat or with only a single knot in it. Through stupid wording on my part some confused impressions on the subject got abroad; but I don't think it mattered much -- the good turns were done all the same."

Bart and Fellow Scouters,

I've also heard about Scouts tying the ends of the neckerchief in a square knot after completing a good deed. But I read Bart's question a little differently. I think its the knot at the bottom of the second class and first class rank.

It was debated on this forum, but I think it is a type of prussik knot or reminder knot. But for ease of talking to the Scouts (or just simple people like me), I refer to the square knot instead of this 2nd class/1st class rank knot.

One of the simplest knots, the basic square knot is an over hand throw, followed by another over hand throw in the opposite direction.

After you have the over hand throw. I've often heard, that it take one good turn, to create a square knot. So, the square knot serves as a reminder to do a good turn.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/webelos/boyscoutreqsaid.asp

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/webelos/scoutknot.asp

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)