Why is the world scout crest not "part" of the uniform?

If every scout everywhere in the BSA wears the same world scout crest and never takes it off or swaps it for something else, why isn't it a part of the uniform like the American flag? I mean, do I really need to pay X for the shirt, then Y to have the world scout crest sewn on it by the scout shop?

Yes b/c 1) the BSA doesn't own the WC patent, it is owned by the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM) 2) It is a fundraiser for WOSM as it supports various WOSM programs and 3)there is a history in which it was an "optional" patch that one could wear if they had to be earned it. I was might ticked off that in the middle of my international trip which would have qualified for the WC, that WOSM "requested" all member associations to allow everyone to wear it.

Pretty much in all NSO, everyone wore the WC. For whatever reason, the BSA made it an earned item, and one that few could earn.

For those upset, there IS the International Participation award.

I found it funny, that the uniform shirts of the BSP (philippines), they embroider their logo on one pocket, and the world crest on another. I still don't see why the BSA couldn't provide a stock of WC patches to their shirt manufactorer, like they do with the american flag patches, to put on all uniforms.

Emb,

I was upset as a 15yo scout who,literally waiting to board the plan to got to Canada was told that national removed the requirements for the WC. In additional international activity patch, necker, slide, and hat, which do not have any formal requriements as I discovered, they now have the International Youth Exchange Emblem and these requirements:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/International/Highlights/22-323.aspx

For Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and Unit Leaders)

Participate for at least five days in a group exchange program, visiting a Scout group in another nation.* This visit can involve home hospitality, joint camping with the host group, or another joint activity.

Participate for at least five days in a group exchange program hosting a Scout group from another nation in your community.* This can involve home hospitality, joint camping with the guest group, or another joint activity.

Plan activities, both as guest and as host, that will provide opportunities to learn about each other's country, culture, and Scout association.

Exchange groups must be at least patrols or crews of six to eight Scouts or Venturers with two adult leaders.

All preceding requirements must be completed by a group to qualify for recognition. An individual in the group must complete all requirements to qualify.

When requirements are completed, the International Youth Exchange emblem, No. M-214, may be ordered by the unit leader from the International Division, Boy Scouts of America. The emblem is worn as a temporary insignia on the right uniform shirt pocket.

*Under special circumstances, the exchange can be with a non-Scout youth group from a nation without a recognized Scout program, if approved in advance by the International Division.

Certification of an individual for the International Youth Exchange emblem is the responsibility of the unit leader or a designated representative.

Emblems, No. ID-214, are ordered from the International Division by the unit representative. Cost is $3.00 per emblem plus your state sales tax. Please make check payable to Boy Scouts of America:

The necker, slide, and hat never had requirements, but the international activity patch did. But it looks like now National says that "Specific requirements are developed by the local council or its districts with council approval", which is a change. Not sure when that happened. Am sure I have some form in my collection of documents with the full requirements.

AIR, the IAP had required that included participating in an international activity.

being upset as a kid is why I never liked the fact that the BSA EVER set such requirements on the WC.

I remember earning the World Crest with the rest of my troop after a trip to Canada. Our troop was the only one in town with all members wearing the World Crest. About a year later the BSA announced that all registered members would start wearing it. Annoyed the heck out of everyone in the troop. The World Crest went from being an excited Big Deal to whatever big deal.

Chazz Lees

Well, you can still earn the international activity temporary patch and the the international scouter knot. I believe they have requirements comparable to what the old world crest requirements were. I didn't know that the money for the patch went to some other organization, I thought it was a case of charging extra for the uniform without having to raise the price on the uniform. ;)

I remember serving as an ASM in Trans-Atlantic Council back when one still had to earn the emblem. I got mine, and now the rules have changed. Although now I am again serving in TAC and live in Europe. and am a Member of the International Committee, my Troop has camped and held actvitites several times with other Scout Troops from other countries. We'll go to Whales next Summer camp to visit a Whelsh unit.

BartHumphries wrote:

"Well, you can still earn the international activity temporary patch and the the international scouter knot. I believe they have requirements comparable to what the old world crest requirements were.

As a youth, I "earned" my World Crest three times before the change to having to earn it vs. anyone can wear it. Though I've been active in scouting now for over 30 years, have participated in staff at a regional Canadian Jamboree, was the "advisor" for my home troop at CJ'01, taken youth (and served on staff) at a Scouts Canada weekend event for several years...oh and four times to the Moosehorn International Camporee (on the USA side of the border), I have yet to complete the requirements for the knot.

So, NO, the knot isn't comparable. It's tougher. We have one adult in our entire district who has earned the knot (and they were the first in the council to boot).

Requirements are at:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/International/Highlights/22-721.aspx

The numbering is off--whoever did that page up used the wrong CSS or html as they've accidentally numbered the headers of each section (bold) and continued the same numbering for the options in that section. I'm almost there. All I need to do is hold one more collection for the World Fellowship Fund and I'll finally have completed it.

Personal preference and NOT a political statement, but I don't wear the purple patch on my routine BSA uniform shirt for regular meetings and camp-outs.

On my formal BSA shirt, I think I may have it on there; now I'll have to go check, as I wear the formal one with knots and doo-hickie dangles so seldom!

Well, it won't let me edit/correct the earlier post. The PDF version of the requirements for the knot is more clear. I'm not as far along as I thought on the quick glance. I'm at 3.5 completed out of 6. Like I said previously, it's more difficult.

Oh, and the last two options are the "buy a knot" category. The become/recruit a member bit requires a four-figure donation if I recall correctly.

As to the original topic, I don't understand why National doesn't just have the patch presewn on the uniform either.

Maybe b/c folks who don't wear neckers, or wear them underneath the open collar (which is incorrect in pre-1972 literature), would have it covered up by the collar if worn in the correct space: centered horizontally over left pocket and vertically between left shoulder seam and top of pocket.

Yeah, I've looked at those requirements, moxieman, but I can't compare them with the old World Crest patch as I don't know what those old requirements are. From what I heard, they were sort of close. I mean, except for the 6th thing, the following seems pretty doable:

2a. Host a group of scouts from another country for three weeks and have them take part in the troop meetings and stuff that you do each week. Just to make it more fun, I presume that one of those weeks would be scout camp and that one of the weekends would be an overnighter. Otherwise, it's basically be just like hosting any other foreign exchange student for a few weeks. (Official unit activity)

3b. You go with your troop while they're hosted by someone from another country (exchange program or if they go to camp in that other country then it's a camp experience). This doesn't have to be the same year as 2a.

4a. Go to Philmont for an "international conference" then tell everyone about it when you get back home.

4b. See who else wants to go and promote others helping to fundraise for their boys to do a large camp trip or to all join an exchange program or something -- beat the drums.

4c. Help plan these activities that you, you know, are already planning.

5a. Pass the pot around in organized fundraisers at two District/Council things. Perhaps at that 100th anniversary campout that just occured (for me, anyway) your troop could have manned a booth selling ice cream or something then donated the profits to the World Friendship Fun. You have to do this twice, by the way.

If you don't want to go to Philmont for a conference, you can go serve with a troop in another country for a while, do something international (but in the US) for National, be the one who convinces someone from another country to come work at a scout camp here, or pony up $1,000 (perhaps, during those two fundraisers, you might find someone who'd be interested in making a special $1,000 donation, since it doesn't have to be you or even anyone in the troop who pays, you just either have to become or recruit a donor).

Sure, you could also cross one of those requirements off by instead paying (or finding someone else who'd be willing to pay) a cool $10,000 (in which case you'd get an extra special award that would be given to you by the King of Sweden), but personally I'm just ignoring that part. Honestly, $10k?