merit badge sash--identification

That's certainly an option. But since every Scout earns different merit badges in a different order, that's really the best way to tell it apart from others'.

From a practical perspective, the MB sash is generally only worn to special events like Courts of Honor and Scout Sabbath and such. It's not something for the field, nor generally even for regular troop meetings - a little too constricting. So he's not going to have too many chances to lose it, no fear.

Fear. Put his name and phone number NEATLY behind a row of MBs, so any marker ink won't bleed thru. Also put it on his OA sash, if appropriate, on the back of his Scout belt (especially if it is a special belt:: Philmont, Jamboree, etc.), bottom hem of his shirt, back of necker, too.. Ordinary BIC ball point pen will do.

Better yet, HE should put it on the back.

Such ID is,after all, for the benefit of the HONEST finder. "A Scout is Trustworthy".

sam&johnsw mom,

According to the BSA Insignia Guide, the back of the sash is a place where temporary patches can be worn. With that said (and if anyone in the forum feels I'm wrong on this, please say so), one thing you could do is on the back of the sash (outside) sew on a council strip, troop # and patrol patch...all as "temporary" insignia. This way if, for some reason, your Scout loses it at camp someone will be able to return it based on the info on the patches. However, shortridge and ssscout are right. On one hand, it shouldn't be too much of a risk to lose it because it is typically only worn at special events. With that said, ssscout is correct because, well...kids lose things (you're a parent so i'm sure you know that already). My idea is only a mere suggestion due to the fact that it is also temporary (in the event that he outgrows that sash and decides to donate it to a smaller, less fortunate Scout). Hope that helped some.

Yours in Scouting,

Ryan

I just took my sons sash to the local embroadry shop and had them put the First Initial and Last Name in the same color thread on the back of the sash near the seam at the bottom. Anyone who picks it up does not have to guess about whose it is.

One more recommendation if you are doing some sewing:

Add an epaulet to the top/inside of the sash. For a Court of Honor or Color Guard, you can then ATTACH the sash to the uniform shirt, and it won't slide off or shift when the Scout is sitting around or moving. This especially helps when the sash is the really long one and the Scout is not that high yet.

Horizon - GREAT idea!!

I'll be executing that one post haste.

As far as OA sash goes - I sewed my son's initials on the inside of the front corner (carefully not going all the way through). In retrospect, his full name would have been a better idea, but he's Brotherhood now so he can do what he wants with it...

Thanks,

Vicki