Uniform and long sleeved shirts

Our Scouts wear all manner of long-sleeved t-shirts hanging out from under their short-sleeved uniform shirts. I don't care. That they're present, in uniform and active in the troop is much more important. If the boys were serving in some important public event, like a parade or flag ceremony, we would pay closer attention to appearance. But for routine troop meetings and activities? Nah.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Of course not all sweatshirts, turtle necks, and mock turtles are cotton. National supply has (or had I can't find it right now) a green technical fabric mock-turtle base layer that matched the Centennial uniform, I have that and a similar type navy-blue mock-turtle that I wear with my Cub uniform.

We're not talking really cold weather but rather Fall type, 40s -- 50s. A shirt isn't enough but a jacket is too much. And we northern scouters aren't the only folks with this sartorial taste -- think of football or even playoff baseball players -- and they do it for the same reason, you want the identifying uniform to be your outermost layer but you need at least one additional full layer for comfort.

One other options, get a BSA sweatshirt. With my old troop, you wore stuff under the shirt UNLESS is was a scouting sweatshirt, i.e. winter camp, from the shop, or from an event , and then it was OK to wear over the uniform. ( I wore my Sea Scout and later WSJ sweatshirt)

Popular fashion trend is to wear a short sleeve shirt overtop a long sleeve shirt. They even sell shirts that long sleeves sewn to short sleeve shirts to emulate the two shirt look. I think it looks stupid but I am a grumpy old man who prefers silk neckties and gleaming shined leather shoes. But the scouts only see it as popular fashion and so wear long sleeve shirts under the short sleeve uniform shirt.

I would prefer that if scouts are going to wear long sleeved shirts under their short sleeve uniform shirt that all members of the troop wear the same color. Not gonna happen. When I tried to choose the appropriate color of long sleeve shirt to wear I came to the only logical conclusion, a long sleeve uniform shirt.

I have two uniform shirts, one long and one short sleeve.

Wow, I am surprised at some of the answers on this. Maybe it's a regional pacific northwest fashion. (as is the socks and sandals). I always wear a long sleave shirt under my short sleeve uniform shirt. I hate wearing jackets and usually won't wear one.

I usually just wear a black long sleeve t-shirt. black matches everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Beardad: It's not just a Pacific NW thing...we do it here in the NE/Mid-Atlantic.

The logic behind it isn't really the whole "fashion statement" thing. If you were a little chilly and wanted to keep warm, you would wear a long sleeve tee right? That's the concept, except that you still want to be in uniform, so you wear it over top. Why not a L/S shirt? Maybe this scout doesn't own one? Maybe can't afford a second shirt? Perhaps he didn't bring it because he didn't think it would get cold enough to warrant the long sleeve. The point is that it doesn't matter why the scout is wearing a long sleeve tee. The original poster was asking about any regs on color of the shirt. I don't see why there would be...after all, there's no reg on color of short sleeve shirts, correct? If there were, then I think the greater question would be why the BSA has an interest in the color of my undergarments...

Not a big deal wearing a long-sleeve shirt under the uniform shirt. It's a temporary situation and serves a practical purpose. Preferably, it's good to wear a color that coordinates well with the shirt or shoulder-loops.

The main thing is the scouts stay warm and comfortable and avoid hypothermia.

Cross my heart, hope to die: I don't mean to come off holier-than-thou. With that promise at the forefront, I see many folks live for the s/s-only shirts and then wear l/s undergarments. To *me* it looks pretty funky, but hey; opinions are like armpits, right? We all got 'em, and nearly all of 'em are bad at some time or another.

Personally, I'm a fan of the l/s. I prefer the roll up feature (works for me) in 100+ heat or leave 'em down in 10 degrees with some thermals underneath. Then again, as an armed force veteran, our working attire was generally l/s with some roll-up functionality.

To me and for me: If it's good enough for Uncle Sugar to have everybody in l/s and let 'em roll as appropriate for the conditions, and they're paid to know how to live in the dirt pretty well, then I can easily follow suit.

To each one's own, though. :-)