Uniform and long sleeved shirts

A friend and I were chatting about various scouting things and this conversation came up and not sure about the answer.....

We were talking about wearing long sleeved shirts under the official uniform and talking about the color. I have heard various thoughts on this and was told a few things:

1- the color (of the long sleeve shirt) does not matter, as long as it does not distract from the official uniform (ie-meaning white, black, etc.)

2- the color (of the long sleeve shirt) does matter-and needs to match the program you are affiliated with, meaning that if you wear the yellow cub shirt, then the shirt must be navy, the khaki unis need red if you are with boy scouts, orange with varsity and kelly green with venturing.

So, I asked about the centennial unis and asked that since the color of the eplets (sp?) are now a forrest-like green does that mean that the ls shirt has to match?

Any thoughts on this???? Any "official" word? I am just curious what others have to say. Honestly I am not going for a fashion statement, it is usually for warmth!!!

Thanks, in advance for your words of wisdom!

YiS,

Julie in WA

wear what you want, although the uniform L/S shirts do roll up and have teh Swiss tabs on them. Grant you I think the tabs need to be a wee bit higher, they work.

Now I've worn white turtlenecks, black turtlenecks,and red turtlenecks when I was with a troop and wearing red loop. When I worked for national, i did wear a gold one briefly, but I then started wearing a BSA windbreaker.

On cold days I wear a long sleeved shirt with wool jacket.

I never wear long sleeves under a short sleeve shirt. If a boy needs more warmth, put on a sweater, sweatshirt or coat.

If one is going to do flags, just take the coat off for a few minutes. If it's too cold to do that. "Salute" with your hand over your heart and keep your coat on. No big deal.

Personally, I think a long sleeved shirt under a short sleeved shirt looks worse than putting on a coat when it's cold.

If one has a tendency to be uncomfortably cold when others aren't, then see a doctor or buy a long sleeved shirt. Most organizations that expect uniforms, except when indoors all the time have both a winter and summer uniforms or some process to accommodate the changes in temperature. None of them use long sleeves under short sleeves as an option.

Stosh

eagle90, don't let the Virginia location fool you, I've spent a good deal of time in Canada, Maine, and northern PA, I know cold, and still don't do it. To each their own though. Like I said, not trying to say it isn't right, just saying I don't like it, lol.

jblake, that is my view on it as well.

When I was a youth, none of us owned a long-sleeved ODL shirt - they simply weren't practical (then & now, IMHO). It didn't get *that* cold during the winter, and when winter camping we simply layered up. The only people I ever saw wearing the L/S ODLs were adults who had stopped growing.

There was one exception to that rule. Whenever it was time to march in the town Christmas parade - too cold to walk outside with arms bared, but we obviously wanted our uniforms to be seen - we wore long-sleeved shirts underneath our short-sleeved ODLs. My first troop wore the red berets, so we all wore matching red shirts underneath. My second troop allowed a mishmash, but red and black were the usual colors.

The former looked sharper - but I think that was due in large part to the berets! ;)

I've never heard anything about matching the color to the program level.

I like my socks & sandles almost as much as I love long sleave underarmor beneath my uni!

I wouldn't waste time matching epalets. There would be no way to get a perfect match, and since the vintage uni's aren't gowing away any time soon, you'd have a mix of reds and greens.

Matching colors within unit would be kind of neat. Uniforming is not a method in venturing, but I think if a crew wanted to adopt the national uniform as their own -- having matching underarmour would help give them the distinctive flair that we're looking for from units.

On many outdoor activities in the cooler months I have worn a sweatshirt under my short-sleeved uniform shirt, because I wanted the shirt to be visible. Obviously if it is the middle of the winter, a coat is going over the uniform, but if all I need is a sweatshirt I have usually worn it under the uniform shirt. Even if you're indoors, I think if someone wants to wear something like a turtleneck (regardless of color) under the uniform shirt, it's fine. It says to the boys, "I am being a good example by wearing my uniform, and wearing it proudly on the outside, I just want to keep my arms warm!" Not everybody's internal thermostat is exactly the same.

we have boys and adults in this area that wear long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt underneath their uniform a lot during the winter months. We require uniforms when traveling to and from camping trips and if stops are made during a trip the boys unzip their coat while inside buildings. The biggest thing is when we get to our destination and they remove their uniform or change clothes they have their base layer underneath and aren't totally exposed (and only change their base layer if it gets wet or sweaty)

It's a known fact that cotton against the skin in cold weather is not a good idea. So to wear a turtle-neck or sweatshirt under the uniform is not as warm as say maybe a jack-shirt or wool sweater over the top. If you have a nice wool cardigan, plenty of sweater shows and it's easily removable for flags, special occasions, etc.

For those who are really into warmth materials, be sure to wear you poly-lined wool long underwear so it looks nice coming out of the short sleeves. After all most are a neutral grey that shouldn't clash with any of the uniforms and might look a bit more dressed up with the commissioner's epaulets.

Stosh