Webelos Colors

When I re-entered scouting with my boys in the mid 80s I was surprised to see the the Webelos ribbons on the right sleeve. I thought that this was a rather dumb idea as they presented a perfect handle to grab onto while the boys played the inevitable Grab--s. As predicted, I saw several torn shirts as a result. It was only recently that I found that the Webelos ribbons had a historical precedent in the BSA.

In the fist decade of the BSA, Patrols, as now, took the name on animals. However, Patrol Patches didn't come until later so Patrols were identified by 2 or 3 colored ribbons worn on the right sleeve. There was a National policy that standardised which colors identified which animal. These ribbons can be seen in old scout photos of BSA and English Scouts.

As for the Web. colors today: Some of you oldies may remember the old green uniforms before the ODL uniforms. We had knee sox that required a garter to keep them up. The garters had a ribbon tab on the side which identified the program. Yellow for Cubs, Green for Boy Scouts and Red for Explorers.

Just an interesting item