I am looking for any help anyone can give me in locating garrison hats for my troop. We need about 20. Ebay only has a feww of the vintage models. We are looking for the 70's type. I have tried thr nation supply office to no avail. The boys have seen other Troops wearing these and think they really look sharp! Any help?

Finding that many of the same style is gonna be tough.

I bought a collection or two of ebay a few years ago, the one with a tenderfoot style patch is the most common followed by the last which just has a gold FDL patch. Some of the early ones have a lineing like any other good hat but don't lend themselves to being worn over the belt or stuffed in a pocket.

Forgot to add, most collectors try for one or two of each version, finding someone who collected all of one style but all the different sizes might drive you crazy.

Just get the word out and they surface in ones and twos. I might even part with some small ones.

Why not buy some like these http://stores.uniforms-4you.com/-strse-18/Navy-Khaki-Garrison-Hat/Detail.bok (just an example there are lots of others) and modify them with a BSA patch or pin? Unless you feel the need to have official gear those may be your best bet to find sizes and a decent cost in a quick amount of time before the boys move on and you are able to collect them all.

www.baylyhats.com makes custom garrison caps of any color and have just about every style of garrison cap that has been made. I know of a few military schools that get their garrison caps made there. So you could just do some research and find out what style then color. Then either find some patches or have some made.

Offers to trade garrison caps were almost as prevalent as offers to trade patches at Jambo. The number of times I heard: "I sure wish they'd bring back that old green uniform!" was too numerous to count. (And most of those comments were NOT from adults!)

Stosh

"Offers to trade garrison caps were almost as prevalent as offers to trade patches at Jambo. The number of times I heard: "I sure wish they'd bring back that old green uniform!" was too numerous to count. (And most of those comments were NOT from adults!) "

But, but ... National told us the BOYS wanted these new fancy expensive baggy looking uniforms including the change from traditional white-on-red to green-on-khaki numerals and new shoulder loops! (Guess I've just been around the wrong boys since changing the troop numerals colors is something I've NEVER heard in over 25 years of Scouting.)

HICO,

Please, please, please don't get me started on the ncentennial uniform fiasco :( . I ran into something like 10+ pages on MYSCOUTING on the topic of the stupid changes, lack of info/constantly changing information on the new uniform, and lack of stock.

It was quite fun to be walking one direction at Jamboree and see literally dozens of Scouts coming the other direction wearing the old garrison caps with big smiles on their faces. I wanted one for myself, but it seemed the adult visitors only wanted to trade them with kids for full sets of patches (through an intermediary kid, presumably). Guys were coming in for the day with stacks and stacks of the things to trade, and the kids were gobbling them up. Gotta say, they look GREAT with the new uniforms, which is quite surprising indeed.

Bring back the garrison caps! (and the red-topped knee socks!)

Thanks for all the great respose to these hats. I have been talking to National Supply Head Quarters and may have found a BSA source to get these from. They have informed me that a supplier of BSA hats will be able to provide them for us. We have not been givin a price but it looks positive. If there are any other Troops that may be interested I will be glad to share the contact information. Just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya. If your close in Kansas or want to go for a drive, a long one, go to The Annual Trappers Rendezvous in kansas, there's this man that has loads of those hats. You can look up a few videos about trappers on youtube. You have to trade the man somting good. he usually profers something BSA uniform. Like a shirts,(old)