troop meetings . . . does your troop wear full uniforms?

Lisa, I'm with you 100 percent on that point.

Function lost out to form many, many years ago.

The cottage industry of uniform doo dads boggles the mind. It satisfies the patch nerd community, but the average scout, and his family, pay the price.

A simple, tough, durable uniform isn't rocket science. Find a scout shirt or pants from the fifties and you'll see. A few tweaks in style, make it in the US from the same material as yesteryear, and you'll have an instant hit that kids will want to wear. And can withstand bacon grease at the camporee breakfast time, hiking thru brush, etc.

For whatever reason, I'm not aware that National will consider the past. Perhaps it all ties in with the veering away from adventure.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a youth, I was a member of two fully-uniformed-at-all-meeting troops. We looked good, but guess what? We rarely went outside. And 50some meetings in the Legion hall or church basement can get borin

So, desert, from your post (and note, I might agree with some of the general sentiments you express) I gather that the purpose of requiring the full uniform at weekly meetings is to ensure that boys w

In reference to functioning uniform, I do think the old Switchbacks, were a step in the right direction. To bad they were not sized properly and national got rid of the leg zippers.

Good news is they are now making the neckers larger. Grant you it's not the full square, but it is sized at a half square.

I am another one who likes the switchbacks, but I don't miss zippered cuffs. Too hard to get them tailored for length. I now wear them exclusively as my camping and full uniform pants in all activities.

The uniform shirt is OK. I would LOVE to see a competition among clothiers to design the next generation, with voting online by Scouts. We tell them it needs a place for rank, OA, etc. - but maybe we give them some flexibility. We tell them the MSRP must be below $30 - I think they could even be cheaper based on what I see online. Then we put out the bid to REI, Lands End, Cabellas, etc. and we see who comes up with the next generation outdoor adventure uniform shirt.

We might kill the epaulets, since they don't work well with backpacks. The electronics pouch might get bigger, to hold something real. Maybe it will incorporate a velcro circle, to make it easier to change out POR patches over time (something we have done for our son's uniform). Maybe someone will propose a wicking t-shirt and a photographer's vest system instead.

Make it wide open, and let each Council have a vote.

Here is another question - what use are the shirt pockets themselves, aside from a pen? I don't carry anything in my pockets, nor do my Scouts. Other than a way to help place patches (esp OA lodge flaps), do the pockets serve a purpose?

I wear custom dress shirts to work, and I no longer have pockets put on my dress shirts.

I find the chest pockets to be nice for stashing counselor stubs of blue cards, the occasional trinket, a patch or two received along the way... Now that silly pocket on the left sleeve? No idea. Absolutely no clue.

Hmmm

Shoulder pocket is for compass, (and map if map is small enough.)

Left breast pocket is for minimalist survival gear (whistle, fire starter, fish hooks etc.)

Right breast pocket is

- for bigger maps and/or

- for adult leaders to carry cell phones

- something to sew temporry patches onto so that uniform proper does not get too worn out.

Okay so maybe that one is not all so necessary.

Pants:

Front right pocket has, keys, pocket knife, empty bagies for plant and lef samples

Front left pocket has . . . err umm . . room for whatever is necessary on this particular trip.

Back left pocket ahs wallet.

Back right pocket has contact info. health info etc. ( I guess the boys dont' need this pocket but I sure like it.)

Left clam digger (thigh) pocket contains baggies with leaf/plant samples in them, one hand lense (for examining smaples and/or a lighted hand lens.

Right clam digger contains bottle of water and two trail mix bars.

Now all I need to pack is

- first aid kit

- survival kit (if in real wilderness)

- poncho

- pencil and paper

- camera (optional)

- extra batteries

- lunch and sometimes extra water.

There ya have it.

Only 7 more pockets and I won't need to carry a knapsack. LOL

Oh I should add that I don't carry all that stuff to an troop meeting.

That's hiking gear.

In fact recently (summer) my son and I have taken so many hikes I have put most of that gear into a fanny packs (looks as nerdy as it sounds)so that i have most of my hiking gear in one place.

Recently when it's time to hike I

- grab the nerd pack

- grab some water

- get a map

- leave a hike plan on the coffee table for my wife to see.

- go hike with my son.

What's really cool is when we leave our hiking boots at home an wear our "mud shoes." . . . .

LL,

Do not, repeat DO NOT, go there ;) I actually know of one troop where when they do wilderness survival without Webelos present, whatever they can carry on their person is what they bring. Some of the guys are quite ingneious in how they carry things,

Traditionally outdoorsmen carried a possibilities bag before there were a ton of pockets to fill up. This over-the-shoulder bag carried everything one could possibly need along the way. I don't have to worry about what I have in which pocket. Everything from firestarters to compass, to whistle, to books, to poncho, to pencil/paper, to knife, to pills, to food all get put in the bag and before I leave home, it gets grabbed up and taken along.

The bag I use is a WWI bread bag and the size is just about right. BSA did at one time make a single strap bag for the boys, but they are rare to find. Most of the boys preferred the double strapped rucksack, (small book-bag size). I find that I can't get into the rucksack without taking it off, but the single strapped possibilities bag can be accessed on the march. Just swing it from around back to the front, open and grab.

Man-purse? Yep, mens' clothing prior to the mid-1800's didn't have pockets and everything was carried in pouches and possibilities bags. The original pant pocket was nothing more than a coin pouch sewn into the seam so that it didn't bounce around and wasn't as obviously bulging with coins when hung from the belt on a string. Back pockets were added at a much later date. The inside breast coat pocket was the favorite choice for wallet, not the pants.

Stosh

I will admit I don't use the shirt pockets after having it hammered into me in the military that uniform pockets are not to be used for ANYTHING other than 1 (one) Mk1 ballpoint pent, black and your current orders if traveling.

So my shirt pockets stay empty except for a pen. Plus, a full shirt pocket does not work well once again with a backpack.

I have long carried a "go-bag" when camping, and we encourage that for the Troop. When a Scout joins, they are told to take an old school knapsack and use it for their handbook, MB books, to always have their outdoor essentials, plus 10 feet of rope. This means that they are always ready for a short hike, to help someone with a first aid kit, or to practice their knots. We have these "essentials" bags at all activities by default (with about a 70% participation rate). We laminate the Scout ID cards as luggage tags, with the backside having their list of essentials as well as a reference point.