is this patch official BSA?

This is a NEW and OFFICIAL change to the leader patches to reflect earning the "Unit Leader Award of Merit". They can be ordered online at ScoutStuff: http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&c3=INSIGNIA&c4=&lv=3&item=UNITLEADEREMB&nimg=610094&us7=Y

RememberSchiff posted the link to the requirements for the award above.

Agree, why a square knot and a star? Maybe the star on the patch is to "...recognize the successful contributions of quality unit leaders" while they are still in that position but the square knot is the permanent award. Also the star instantly says it is related to the leader position but the knots on uniforms are often a mystery.

[EDIT] Note the patch is only $2.59 through Supply Division vice $20 on eBay.(This message has been edited by ntrog8r)

While I have no problem with the "star" on the POR (for those of us who remember the mylar POR for trained leaders) - what I fail to understand is why change the knot!

The old knot, white knot, white border, on tan background -- was replaced with a gold knot, gold border on blue background. Extremely close to the Community Organization award, which is the same color knot and border on a purple background.

Since I just tried to re-order the knots for my store and they came up with our system's "discontinued" marker after them, and I didn't recieve them in the last three orders I've placed for them, I'd say we will no longer be available when the current supply around the country is gone.

As for Ebay, it ticks me off no end that low-life, so called scouts and scouters snap new stuff up and then sell it on Ebay. Jambo stuff which was supposed to be restricted to registered participants and staff is all over Ebay. Stores were denied the profits of selling these items or even ordering them for customers on an as needed basis to insure the specialness of the items. Anybody can get it now if you pay enough. Want a Jambo patch for your shirt, cough up enough cash and it's yours. Sorry for the rant.

My advice to all those that have earned the knot, get 'em while you can.

"As for Ebay, it ticks me off no end that low-life, so called scouts and scouters snap new stuff up and then sell it on Ebay."

That doesn't bother me so much as the people who put stuff up on eBay for more then what one could buy it from a Scout Store or ScoutStuff. I saw these patches up there, and wanted one for my display. I ordered it from ScoutStuff rather then paying $10 or so on eBay. I challenged one person who had jacked up the price on something, and he acted like he was doing a 'service' for people who couldn't get to a scout shop (like they couldn't order it by mail, phone or on-line).

Trainer,

Are the new knots now being discontinued?

As for ebay, I have mix emotions. While I do not like some current stuff being on the market, I have bought older items off of ebay to replace damaged and destroyed stuff I earned. I also have bought items that I couldn't afford at the time, or the store were out of at the time. That's usually NSJ and WSJ items.