Another Hat question

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

All you Indiana Jones affectianados out there need to remember, Jones wore a fedora hat which the expedition hat is NOT a copy of. The expedition hat is a copy of the Australian "cowboy" hat. Similar to the American cowboy hat but with a far lower crown.

The campaign hat is great especially when worn correctly. The hat was originally created round. Now it is more oval to accommodate the more modern fashionable way to wear it.

Being originally round meant that when put on an oval head, the front and back would naturally bend downward, similar to the way all full brimmed hats tend to do. Look at the "natural" look of a cowboy hat. However, everyone's insistence that the brim remain flat has made the hat a bit dorky in my estimation.

My expedition hat is over 15 years old, it has one color on the top and another on the bottom, the Philmont brands decorate the brim, and it's badly stained. My campaign hat hasn't seen a flat brim since the day I bought it. As much as I am hard on hats, I am always amazed at how many compliments I get on them. I have been asked more than once how I was able to shape my hat that way and I tell them I didn't do anything, just let the hat become what it want's to become. Baseball caps used to have flat brims, now the manufacturers pre-bend them for everyone. Wearing them flat like the original is rather dorky. So why wear the campaign hat like a dork? :)

Stosh

Stosh,

The "Wearing them flat like the original is rather dorky. So why wear the campaign hat like a dork?" is fighting words ;)

Seriously though I got 2 of those one that is very, very field expereinced,i.e. bent out of shape, faded, stained, and shot at by Germans (don't ask, let's just say I now know why we won WWII ;) )and one that is in pristine shape stored in a press for formal occasions. there's a time and a place for the pristine look. Not many, but a few.

As for your Expedition hat being two toned, must've come form the same dye lot mine did as I have the same problem.

Gee the only way to make the flat brimmed campaign hat dorkier is to flip the brim up in the front instead of curved down. :) Flipped up on the side might be cool.

The two-toned color of the expedition hat comes from 15+ years of sunlight. :)

I just like the look of the old paintings/photos of the boy's wearing the hat in slouched fashion. It looks relaxed and comfortable. The flat brim looks stiff and authoritarian. All hats of personalities just like the wearer. It says a lot about the person. Please just don't flip the brim up in front, okay? Can we agree on that much? :)

Stosh

Thought I'dd share this option,I've worn a tan one of these every summer for years, does a fine job keeping the sun of your head and neck plus in a down pour it does the same with rain, takes 20+ MPH winds before it wants to lift off. The big side vents really do help keep the air moving as well.

http://www.gemplers.com/img/ventilated-sun-helmet-127496.jpg

found here, my only connection is as a happy customer, I'm sure they can be bought other places.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/127496/Ventilated-Sun-Helmet

• 4 weeks later...

I finally broke down and bought brimmed hat. I've seen it on the Scout Stuff web site with the Universal Emblem Hat Pin and it also had the Adult Universal Emblem Hat Pin next to it. Are you required to have a hat pin on the brimmed hat? Since head gear is optional, I haven't seen anything on it.

Eagle92

Are you picking on my hat. I may have only had it for about 2 years now, but I can garuntee you that it is not in the same shape that it was when I got it. Guess that will happend when camp gear gets piles on it in the van.

I like my expediction hat. Covers face and ears. May soak a little water when it rains, but generally keeps the water off.

I had melanoma cancer back in 1990, so I try to watch myself in the sun. As a result, I became known as the hat expert (nut?) in our pack and troop. I have just about all the hats the BSA offers including several of their special addition hats that are still wrapped in plastic bags. But for the sunny hot two weeks treks of backpacking or boundary waters canoeing, I dont care much for the BSA hats. I need a wider brim hat that can take a beating. My favorite BSA hat is my campaign hat, but I never wore it. It was a gift from the pack and I wore it for cubs a few times, but I dont like to stick out and wearing that hat made me feel as if I was 10 feet tall. Still, I will always keep that hat because it reminds of everything good about scouting.

Now our scouts like the military boony hats. They are cheap, durable and can be packed anywhere. That is if I can get the scouts to wear a hat. They unfortunately suffered under an adult leader who was concerned for their skin. Two things I seem to harp on more than I should was sun screen and head gear. My scouts never got a bad sun burn, but Im not sure that is something a boy run leader should be bragging about.

One last thing. When I took over as the Cub Master of our pack, I found that the pack lost 50% of our first year Webelos and 90% of Webelos IIs. My goal was not only to change the trend of crossovering 90% of first year Webelos to Webelos IIs, but to cross 90% of them into the Troops. We tried many ideas, but one of them was the Webelos got to wear a boony hat to identify them as the older scouts of the pack. Each Webelos Den went to the Surplus store and chose their style and color of camo. So not only did they wear a different hat, but it had a different color than any other year of Webelos. I know it was camo and shouldnt have been, and it wasnt BSA, but it worked. Our Webelos felt special and our Bears couldnt wait to get that cool looking hats. That was 1993 and I hear the pack still has that tradition. I watched those scouts wear that boony hat all the way to their scouting career. I saw one on the Eagle.s disply table at his ECOH. I even saw some pictures of the hats on Church youth trips. Someof the adults still wear those hats on our church outtings. Sometimes the BSA just misses out on cool.

Barry

Glad I had the brimmed hat today at the Centenial parade. Provided me shade in the hot sun and when the rain started coming down in the afternoon. Are you suppose to clean/wash the brimmed hat? I had a Tilly hat that I use for my outdoor activities and it gives directions to wash it often since sweat weakens the fabric. How do you clean a felt hat?

Barry, I just had two melanoma operations : one in Nov of '09 and Dec of '09.Not completely sure about the price tag on the first as it was $100 % insurance covered, but I do know the 2nd one was $59,743.17

I am not an instant overnight cancer awareness advocate, but I will show my scars to any and every scout who declares" I don't need no sunscreen!"

I have a scar that runs from even with and 2 inches behind the very top of my right ear lobe, down to my shoulder, around the front and straight across to 1 inch below and dead under my Adam's apple.

My melanoma was never on my skin though...my immune system attacked it and drug it to my lymph node that sat right at the point where my neck and shoulder met. My ( what is supposed to be) half a garden pea size lymnph node was swollen to the size of 1 and a half grade A X large chicken eggs.

I lost 19 lymph nodes, my Sternocleidomastoid muscle, and my right side Spinal Accesory Nerve was severed in the process.

Okay, it's all gone, pathology says I am clear, my 6 month PET scan on 7-14-10 came back clear too.

The best they can figure was it all started back when I wa 18 years old and spent 3 days stright playing inter fire depeartment softball. I got sunburnt to the point of water blisters all over my back.

Took 20 years to become melanoma.