Venturing Shorts for Jamboree

Well, I blew it again. I didn't get "old" Venturing shorts at $16 until they were down to the really skinny and the really obese. I seem to recall some posts about alternative sources for cargo shorts that look official enough to pass muster at the Jamboree. Call me a curmudgeon, but I do not, repeat not, wish to wear any of the new shorts at all.

Can somebody suggest a source at reasonable prices?

Thanks.

Cabela's has some shorts on sale ($14.99) that fit the bill in the color "cinder", but in my size they are on backorder.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_901860&id=0012138903357a

I've read some other places that people like the Dickie's shorts in grey....I personally don't because they have their label sewn in the bottom front. I don't own the Cabela's, but they look like they'd really work.

I'm in the same boat, I was able to pick up some older Venturing pants, but not the shorts.

(Let's try this again...)

Check out Bass Pro Shop. There's one in my area, and that's been my source for charcoal gray shorts. I have gotten 3 different styles from their RedHead brand. Plus, buying locally, I can take advantage of their sales.

There is the 8-pocket hiking short in charcoal. I have several of these and used these at the last 2 jamborees. I believe Cabelas has the same style, and one or the other has a 'pants version' and maybe a zipoff version of this.

There is the Sportman's Cargo short in gravel, which is new. A little lighter gray, but so what? There is a pants version, which I got, which I plan on using when I need something a little more dressy.

The third style they dropped, which is too bad because I really like it.

After Kahuna posted yesterday I started looking around and found the Redhead charcoal shorts at basspro.com...luckily I still have a gift card from Christmas I need to use and thing I'll be picking up a few pairs.

Especially since you've mentioned that you've used them the last two Jambos.

Thanks for the post!

Well, I got my charcoal 8-pocket Redhead shorts for $14.99 at Bass Pro Outdoor World. They are close enough that I don't think anyone would ever question them.

Of great interest was the place itself. Being located in the International Drive discount Mecca of Orlando the place is big enough to sell airplanes (I didn't see any). You could spend an hour just looking around the store and probably several hours people watching. I didn't have several hours, but I did spend an hour both store and people watching. :)

Thanks again for the advice.

@Kahuna --

Don't know if you looked at the web site before you headed over -- but I thought this was a nice boon for Central Florida Council:

June 5, 2010 - July 10, 2010

Boy Scouts Of America Month - Merit Badges / Win Gift Cards

Bass Pro Shops 53 stores nationwide are recognizing the Boy Scouts of America's 100th Anniversary by making the month of June "Boy Scouts Month". Customers can donate $2.00, $5.00 or more to benefit Central Florida area programs and National Scouting programs. Customer that donate will also receive a chance to win Bass Pro Shops Gift Cards.

Heck ... and Rifle Shooting MB to boot!

From June 5th - July 10th we will also be offering opportunities for Scouts to earn their Fishing & Rifle Shooting Merit Badge on select Thursdays & Saturdays at 7:00pm. Class size is limited to 10 Scouts. Advanced registration is mandatory. Scouts can pre register at our Customer Service Desk or call 407-563-5200 and ask for one of our friendly associates at Customer Service.

I ordered three pair from basspro.com yesterday, since I didn't think I'd make it to the store anytime soon...I recieved an email this morning saying they've already been shipped, so I'm pretty happy.

Kahuna, didn't realize you were in Central Florida. I've spent a lot of time in the Bass Pro over in I-Drive. The company who owns Festival Bay was my wife's client when they were building it. Unfortunatly, we left CFL a couple years ago to come to ATL, but we really miss our hometown. If I wasn't heading to Jambo, I'd have taken a week off work to go to Lanoche with my nephew for summer camp.

UCEagle: I did look at the website, but didn't see that. It's a great deal for CFC Scouts. That was my first visit down to that store, since I live on the North end of town (Seminole County) and avoid the tourist areas like the plague. My car had to go in to the dealer which is near the Millenia Mall, so I killed two birds with one stone. It's always interesting to go down there to I Drive and watch tourists.

eaglescout1996: I can see why you'd miss Central Florida living in Atlanta. I haven't been out to La No Che in years. I know it's changed completely in the last 10 years or so. Maybe I'll drive up there one day and walk around. I'm trying to condition myself to being out in the heat so I won't be so miserable at the Jamboree. :)

"I'm in Seminole Springs District myself."

Yeah, me too.

You're right about Harry Potter World. I'd like to see it and one day I will, but out of season and definitely out of this season. :)

We really miss it.

I was in Canaveral District, which is now Challenger. I don't understand why they changed the names of the District and Chapter, especially after they had the names before they split them in the first place....even if the Council decided to recombine them again.

I can't speak for others, but my district was the Wekiwa District before the original breakup and then became Wekiwa again after the second redistribution. Now we're Seminole Trails because everybody on the District Committee except me at the organization meeting wanted that name. Seemed to me that since the Wekiwa River, park and Wekiwa River Basin covers most of the district, it should have stayed Wekiwa and add Trails if you want. I have no idea why they wanted that, just sounded good, I guess.

Yeah, I don't understand it. I still keep up with what happens back home since my nephew is still a scout and my dad is still a Commissioner. They merged the old Yahoo Groups so I still get information...like for instance, "Canaveral" wasn't even an option...they decided to name the District by online poll.

Canaveral and Woapalanne were the names of the District and Chapter even back when my dad was a scout in Titusville in the 50s and 60s.