Patch Placement on New Uniform

Ok so I'm finally getting around to buying a new uniform. The BSA literature shows the Left Sleeve patches aligned with the center of the shoulder seam on top, AND, centered on the small pocket below. Very nice except that the pocket is not aligned with the shoulder seam. The pocket is slightly forward of the shoulder seam.

I have four of these shirts, and each is the same. So where do the patches really go?

foto

Well, technically, I'd go with the shoulder seam. But the epaulettes ( shoulder loop holders) are set with the back side of the epaulettes even with the shoulder seam.

The pocket is centered with that.

So, technically, center with the shoulder seam,

Cosmetically, center with the pocket or epaulette.

fotoscout,

Having went and read the EXACT wording of the uniform inspection and placement..It does not say centered under shoulder seam,but rather:

"Council shoulder patch is directly below the shoulder seam."

Every patch after that is centered based on the council patch except the rank patch which is centered on the pocket.

I agree with Scoutfish.

If I am conducting a uniform inspection on the Centennial Uniform, then I look for the CSP to be directly below the shoulder seam, and the unit numerals to be centered below the CSP.

The trained patch (green) goes centered on the pocket flap and the POS goes centered on the pocket. Regardless of how the pocket aligns.

(This message has been edited by UCEagle72)(This message has been edited by UCEagle72)

The pocket placement is the problem. I laughed when I saw this and couldn't believe it made it through quality control. It was very hard mentally to sew the patches on the new shirt because of this. I am tempted to take my shirt to a professional and having the pocket moved if it won't be noticable where it used to be.

It is always something with the uniform isn't it.

The problem is thst the pocket is centered with the epaulettes on your shoulder, which are NOT centered with the shoulder seam.

Now as for drawings.....Well, that's just it - somebody drew them. They might be just as accurate as specs that list the wrong colors, wrong positions or better yet: As accurate as the photograph of the Tiger Cub who somehow has earned his Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf, and Bear badges! :)

The drawing may be more of a references, but the actual specs of CSP patch under and touching shoulder seam..all others centered based on CSP and rank centered on pocket are as are and not based on the drawing.

But truth be told, go to my council and compare this pack to that and you see one fella witha 1 " gap between shoulder seam and CSP and then a 1" gap between each consequetive patch after that.

I even saw den numbers and the Stars and Stripes on the wrong arm.

point being, if your patch ends up a 1/4 " off center, I wouldn't sweat it to badly.

I took a look at my new shirt this morning. Just by sight, it looks right. I guess it could be off, but I'd need a ruler to really know that. Maybe my pocket is centered correctly and there are some that are way off.

It seems to me that as long as the position patch is centered on the pocket itself, it would look right. Even if the pocket itself is off, putting the patch centered off the shoulder seam (and therefore off or overlapping the pocket) would just draw more attention to it.

Dontcha just love the quality of these new and more expensive Chinese uniform shirts and the guy at National who wrote the uniforming rules for the patches, one hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing once again. The UP's must be going crazy, lol.

fotoscout don't sweat it, do the best you can cuz it really is not all that important to the effective running of your program.