To HAT, or not to HAT - that is the question! LOL!

Okay, I am going to be the new Cubmaster of my pack. Well, actually I already am, but doing the transition stuff and what not so I can be 100% by fall roundup.

Anyways, while shooting the breeze, I was asked if I would get a campaign hat or something similar.

Well, I said no because I'm just not into hats. I keep a high and tight flat top haircut as my hair is just soooo freaking thick that my head sweats even in snowy conditions.

So anyways, It got me thinking: I have no doubt that a hat does not change me or you, nor does it make either of us a better or worse scout leader. A hat will not give either of us a better personality, make us smarter or make us better scouters.

BUT... I do know that wearing the uniform tucked in, neat and clean does rub off eventually. And I am a firm believer in leading by example.

So, what about the hat? We buy and for the most part expect our scouts to wear their hats. In Cub Scouts, we know the hats also dennote rank too.

So, what do you think? Should I - as a CM - wear a hat?

I mean, if I expect the cubs to wear a hat, shouldn't I be held to a higher set of standards?

I mean, I know not wearing a hat will not make the program crash....but at the same time...sometimes..the smallest details make a BIG difference.

What's your take on it?

I think you answered your own question, lead by example!

It's not just a matter of uniform.

A Hat is a safety precaution, it protects from the sun and rain, and it help keeps your head warm.

A Hat, as you stated, is a quick differentiator of your cubs (and their leaders)

A Hat, is good advertisment, you wear your hat, the boys wear theirs, some start wearing their hats outside of meetings and bam MORE CUBS!

If hats were required, I'd be out of the program.

I'm like you, Scoutfish - I put something on the top of my head, and bam, I'm sweating buckets. I only wear a hat in the coldest of cold weather, and even so often have to take it off when I'm engaging in physical activity.

Thank goodness they're optional!

While a hat is optional, it is a very useful uniform item like the necker. It protects your head form the sun, shades your eyes so you can see, gives you a little added warmth in the winter etc.

Now I personally like the campaign covers, aka "Smokey Bears" I wear b/c the first one I received upon completion of Brownsea 22 and the second was issued to me for serving on staff of JLT back in the day. Depending upon formal event or regular old Scouting depends upon whether the good one of the "experienced" one. One caveat, you wear it, you will be noticed and people will think you are in charge even if you aren't

I also own a Expedition hat, aka the brimmed hat. It's water proof, mine's been through about 7 hurricanes, and crushable so that it can take a beating. I wear that on ocassion, usually when I know bad weather is coming and don't feel like wearing smokey and the rain cover.

Now one hat I like but do not own is the CS Leader Bush hat. However I noticed there is only one size available, and that means it's probably about to be discontinued. Although I know one place that has sizes still.

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&C3=UHATS&C4=&LV=3&item=880CBH&prodid=880CBH^8^01RTL&

other options are the current green BSA ball caps,or if you can find an older yellow and blue CS hat, that is also allowed. I am also in favor of camp and event hats. Lots of folks I know got a Regional Jamboree and CS Family Campout hat that you missed in Kinston "Fish.

But if you want to campaign hat route, get a surplus one, and then buy the BSA hatband and chin strap.

Or you can go this route for a navy blue one from the UK, you would just need to replace the WSJ logo with a BSA Universal emblem. ;)

http://www.scoutshops.com/acatalog/WSJ.html

You are not a youth member. Hats are optional for adult members.

What kind of an example would you be setting to wear something you obviously dislike, that is not a required part of the uniform (even that of a CM)?

To me, it would look pretentious.

If you don't like to wear hats, then don't wear one. If you like hats, then there are plenty of BSA options out there.

It is about the boys in the Pack, not about a showy hat on your head.

Around this area, hats are not worn indoors, period. Many of our units meet in church halls/basements. You don't wear a hat in church, so it comes off when you enter said building. So, you don't see a lot of youth in this area wearing hats into meetings. They come off at the door. If they don't come off, other youth/adults remind them they're in a building, hat off, please. Ditto in our camp dining hall. And so, it quickly spreads that hats are not worn at indoor meetings regardless of where that meeting is held.

So, it's up to you as to whether or not you have a hat. If hats are worn indoors in your area and you want your youth to wear hats, you should lead by example. Otherwise, don't bother.

I wear a hat all the time. Little balding and the sun is uncomfortable. Plastic lenses will not photo-change, so I no longer wear sun glasses and the brim is necessary. I hate a burned neck and ears so it's full brimmed whether I'm in scouts or not. I get a ton of compliments on my chapeaus.... Normally for formal occasions I wear the classic Montana Peak hat, otherwise I wear the expedition hat for most of the campouts, etc. I do have a cotton/mesh hat, but wear it sparingly and prefer the felt hats year-around. It's just what you get used to.

Unless it is a Christian church, the hat stays on indoors. It's part of the uniform.

Stosh

JBlake does point out something I've noticed in some of the historic literature. In some of the older literature, it does indeed show scouts wearing hats in uniform. This was pre 1940s if memory serves. Sometime int he 40s, if memory serves, the switch to having literature not showing Scouts with hats on inside occured.

Why did this occur, I don't know. I know that cusomarily men do not wear hats in Christain Churches. That may be part of it. Another may be that the naval services, i.e. USMC, USN, and USCG do not wear covers indoors except when under arms. We had a lot of Vets serving as leaders, so maybe it's coming from that tradition?

As SM I chose to have a Campaign hat. I choose to wear it at Formal occasions; i.e. Scout Sunday, New Parent Orientations, When acting as a Council trainer really anytime I need to let it be known with a emblem of authority that I am the person the adults need to listen to - does it stay on my head throughout any of those? Rarely.

But at Times the Scouts want me to wear it, At Campfires at Summer Camp. When they want to Show off for another Troop (how my wearing the hat is showing off I have yet to figure out_ I think they're messing with me.)

Personally I like hats but I don't wear any of them all the time, I think you need to figure out what your style is and do what's right for you. There isn't any one right person to be a Cubmaster or Scoutmaster so grab it and make it yours - be you.

So I just looked in the Insignia Guide and saw several interesting points that I didn't even know where in there.

- "Official headgear may be worn while the unit or individual is participating in an indoor formal ceremony or service duty, except in religious institutions where custom forbids."

So hats are *not* mandatory, even for youth - see the "may."

- "In any informal indoor activity where no official ceremony is involved, the headgear is removed as when in street clothes."

Interesting! I really didn't know that was official policy.