venturing shirt for EBOR

I'm a Council VP - Program, I've been involved in my Council Venturing Program since the start of Venturing. I also chair Eagle Boards.

There the credentials, now let's talk...

Eagle Boards are either a Council or District function (based on what your Council wants to do).

So what you really need to do is sit down with the Eagle Board Chair, and take someone from either your District or Council with you that understands the program, and is someone the Chair trusts. You go to coffee, pie, whatever and sit and talk about the differences between Venturing and Boy Scouts. Offer to help provide folks to fill the Board that understand the differences between Venturing and Boy Scouts.

It's hard sometimes to get folks to sit on Boards, they don't think they meet the MQs and they don't understand what REALLY happens. So you go with the same gang. This is fine, if the same gang knows that if they show up in a tie or in a green shirt, or a purple one for that matter, that we're not hurt.

Granted all this has to happen away from the boy, and before the Board starts, if you don't have that, then you better find a way to get that young man in a uniform. The idea of a shared shirt, causes me some problem. Things like Unit Number, would be missing, or "velcroed" on, and then you'd be preceived as wanting me to over look that?

Hope this helps ya. Good Luck!!

AG--- They also can be a UNIT function with support from a District Guest.

My question is why the Crew Advisor/Committee did not decide to sponsor the kid for Eagle? That's permitted :)

My own EagleSon earned his Eagle from his Crew. ACP&P permits that. His Crew Advisor introduced him to the Board, his Crew CC chaired it. Our District uses unit Boards with district Guest mode.

There is no reason this Eagle could not have been hatched within the Crew

Thanks for the clarification. Some council's will not allow unit EBORs with a District representative on board, but want a District EBOR, which is allowed by policy. That's the way my council does things.

I see it in the opposite direction. We need to stand by the youth's choices (that includes choosing a crew with a particular uniform - or lack thereof) within the boundaries set by the program. If it means "educating" the board of review, when introducing the scout, so be it. ("It is my pleasure to introduce Pee-Wee Harris, currently sporting the uniform of crew ___, which is deemed appropriate according to BSA regulations for occasions such as this ...")

Hopefully it will boil down to a few guys like Eagle92 sucking it their breath and moving on to more pertinent issues of character. And, after they've promoted a couple of worthy candidates, they'll accept that these boys are "by the book" -- even if it's not "their book".

I agree with you qwazse, all of us and the old timers need to follow the official EBOR guidelines not their own personal vision, and if they are unable then they should not be allowed to sit on a EBOR. Especially now with that new $40 hideous looking venturing nylon and spandex ss shirt, replacing the former shirt, yes it is official, I expect to see even more crews move away from the "official" venturing uniform and into more original and individualized uniforms suitable to the main activities of that crew.

I know one crew adviser paid out of pocket to buy a bunch of the old shirts from a CA scout shop, we live on the east coast, so that his crew will have shirts available for some time. Also heard that one crew is thinking about dyeing BS shirts green. We'll see what happens.

I would advise any Eagle candidate to take into consideration of what is expected as the "dress code" for an EBOR. Play it safe and put on your full BSA Boy Scout uniform since the Eagle Rank is a rank of Boy Scouts and not Venturing. By doing this, you will avoid any negative first impressions or misunderstandings. An EBOR is made up of volunteers that may not be trained on every specific detail of policy. You want to avoid reschuding an EBOR because the board did not like the way you were dressed.

I understand about playing it safe, but what is a boy who joined Venturing at 14 and was a First Class Scout who then dumps his troop registration and is only registered as a Venturer supposed to do 3 years later? Buy a Boy Scout uniform because the grumpy old men on the Eagle Board are not expected to actually comprehend what the rules are?

I dont want to get the youth caught is a micturating contest, but when do we hold adults as accountable as the youth?

Jeffrey - the problem with your approach is that some youth have dropped out of Boy Scouts and only participate in Venturing while still working on their advancement towards Eagle. This is perfectly acceptable per BSA regulations so long as he had achieved at least First Class while in a Troop. It is very likely in that event that he does not have a Boy Scout uniform that fits if it has been more than a year.

A Venturing Scout Only? You plan ahead and talk with a representative of the review board and let them know you will not be appearing in a traditional Boy Scout uniform. No surprises = No re-scheduling.

jeffrey

The correct term is a Venturer not a Venturing scout, and the Venturing uniform is an official BSA standard, including the uniform that the crew has chosen for their own. There is no need or reason for the candidate to call anyone as either or none is acceptable for an EBOR. If your EBOR members don't get that then they need to be retrained or replaced it is as simple as that. Too many scouters do not keep up with the latest information on an EBOR or even bother to learn it in the first place, that is the responsibility of the DAC to make sure these errors do not occur in the first place.

Jeff,

Th advancement policies and procedures book does state that no uniform of any kind needs to be worn at any BORs, including Eagle. That's national policy and it is something that anyone who sits on a BOR, especially an EBOR needs to follow.

Now do I agree with it, no I do not. I think a uniform for a BOR, whether Scout, Sea Scout, national venturing, or local crew option, should be worn. The uniform identifies the indivicual as a member of the organization, and can tell us a lot about the young man and his experiences in scouting, i.e. Philmont belt, Jambo patch, OA flap, temp insignia, etc. etc. Every badge has a story, and can help the BOR in their questioning. BUT national says no uniform is required, and I abide by that.

Me personally, I'ld rather have a Venturer wear a crew specific uniform, even if it was something as simple as jeans and crew polo or hoodie (that was my old ships uniform)than coat and tie, business casual, etc, b/c the uniform says something. But that's me.