Poyester/Wool Uniform (Shirt & Pants)

I've noticed on Scoutstuff.org the Boy Scout/Leader Polyester-Wool Leader's Shirt ($39.99 for short-sleave & $49.99 for long-sleeve), as well as the Polyester-Wool Uniform Pants ($54.99). The shirts somewhat resemble the pre-centennial uniform shirts and the pants resemble my old military serive pants. and DRY CLEAN ONLY!!!

Is this a new uniform after the 100 yr celebration (the centennial uniforms going away)? Or what?

Thanks and look forward to all the comments.

Once an official uniform, always an official uniform.

BSA has added a cold weather option for those that wish it. It is hard to do all of the fancy bellows and such in the heavier fabric.

The light weight Supplex versions are not going away, although BSA did come out with a revamped Centennial shirt for the ladies. It has flat, instead of bellows, pockets.

TD,

This type of uniform was made due to the complaints from volunteers, and more importantly from supply's POV the professionals, that the CUs did not look professional enough to be worn at ceremonies, and again form the pro's POV when meeting with prospective donors. Hence they are out and willnot be going away.

Now if they would only listen to those of us who want knee socks back ;)

I'm glad to see they put this back in the catalog. Those are great uniforms for regular meetings and ceremonies. I had one of those shirts that I bought when the ODLR uniform first came out and wore it for over 15 years. I still have it, but it won't accommodate my belly anymore.

Just got the poly/wool uniform shirt and shorts into my store for a volunteer wanting to look spiffy for his Jambo job. They ARE the OLD stuff! They have brown buttons and embroidered BSA strip on the the shirt and the shorts are OD green not forest. The only catalog I've seen them in is the Jambo catalog and on Scoutstuff.org they aren't in the regular catalogs yet. Personally I think they are leftovers from the last generation of uniforms. It's a "if people see them then they'll buy them situation". They won't sell if they aren't advertised.

And who in their right mind would want a DRY CLEAN ONLY uniform. Good for a super duper fancy dinner, not good for every day.

Trainer,

You'll be surprised, especially since the new uniforms don't look good enough for COHs in some people's opinion. Prior to the CUs comign outi had exec board members getting them. And of course the pros want them, esp. now.

While I have a bunch of the old uniforms, I have been known to wear the new one to ceremonies. grant you they were worn sans the lower legs and with knee socks.... ;)

Although they say dry clean only, the shirts can be washed in cold water and dried at low temps. At least the ones I had could. I don't remember if they pants were ever laundered, but I think I had them dry cleaned.

That uniform, usually with shorts, was the one GBB always wore.