Square Knot Creation

"Question is Varsity Scouting not considered another division of scouts? "

No.

When the BSA was organized into programs, Varsity Scouts was just part of the Boy Scout program division. Its just a varient of Boy Scouts, but for older boys and some other tweeks. VS have the same ranks as Boy Scouts, and Eagle is considered the highest VS rank.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, the first time I have ever seen a real life Varsity Scout, was this past weekend when an LDS team was using the camp I was at. Since Varsity was created, I believe in '83 or thereabouts, I have never seen one.

I've seen many VSs over the years since the program was officially rolled out around 1984. But to be honest, since the late 80s/early 90s, pretty much all the Teams I've seen have been associated with the LDS. So at even major scouting events, I may seen an occasional orange loop.

Nick,

I remember moving from Scout to Scouter. I submitted my Eagle paperwork a week prior to my 18th birthday and had my Eagle BOR almost a month later. My best friend got had his Eagle four days later which was four days before his 18th birthday. We never wore our Eagle patches. We both just sewed on our Eagle and AOL knots. We also became just the second and third adults in the troop to wear any knots. The only other one was the old SM who was awarded the District Award of Merit many years earlier. The knots just were not that well known in my troop. Four years later I earned the Scouter's Training Award thereby adding a third knot. Flash forward to today, 28 years later, and I still only wear three knots. If I am awarded another knot, then I will wear it. If I never get another one, I am fine with it because it does not take away what I have done in Scouting or what services I can still provide others.

While I can understand being a tad bit envious of those Scouter with more knots than you wear, know that it can be a two-way street. I have met Scouters who wear many more knots than I do tell me that they wish they could also wear mine. For all their accomplishments in Scouting, they kick themselves for never earning Eagle. I am not saying you should be a braggart about your knots; I'm just saying be proud of the knots you wear. If you really feel a need to earn an award with a corresponding knot as an adult, take a look at the Scouter's Training Award. It takes some time and training, but the performance part is the best because it encompasses providing a good program for your Scouts. The form can be found at this link: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-55.pdf

YiS,

Chazz Lees

I liked the cub scout who saw the knots on my uniform and asked what they were. When I explained they were adult recognitions, he was surprised, and asked if you could still be in scouting as an adult.

Chazz, thanks for sharing your story. I too have those same three knots, having earned the training award after several years as an ASM. Our UC noticed I'd qualified for it, and prodded me into filling out the app. He presented the knot and certificate to me at an 8 second, impromptu ceremony at a camporee, right before Saturday night dinner. I really got a kick out of it, and appreciated the UC's efforts.

That was 21 years ago, and I am still happy with those three knots.

I never wore all 12 knots until I was told I couldn't wear the five I had on.

Now I have shirts with zero knots, three knots and 12 knots. I never earned the best one, Eagle Scout. If I ever buy another shirt, it will probably include the STA I earned at age 21, the SB and DAM because my fellow Scouters thought me worthy, and the International Scouter's Award because it allows me opportunities to remind others that Scouting is a worldwide brotherhood.

Well according to this wesbite there is no limit to the number of knots you can wear at one time.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/10K.aspx

Now I do know that the national Sea Scout committee has put some restrictions on the number and type of knots you can wear, i.e. 6 knots max and AOL knot among others is no longer authorized for wear. Sorry I can't cite the source for that one, but I rememeber AOL no longer being allowed b/c i thought it was funny that Ships Stores has a supply of AOL on white backgrounds as well as navy backgrounds. Bought a white knot for my Sea Scout uni.

DesertRat,

I am a big proponent of adult training and recognition as I feel it really helps the Scouts. Recently, I submitted progress records for a few Scouters, who completed the Scouters Training Award, without telling them. There are a bunch of ASM's and Committee Members that have done a ton for the troop; however, they rarely got any recognition other than a quick "Thank You" as a meeting. I decided to see if any were eligible for the Scouters Training Award. While many were close, four actually had completed it. I confirmed their progress with the Committee Chair who knew nothing about the award. He enthusiastically signed the records once I explained what there were. Submitted the applications to District and received the awards just in time for the troop's last Court of Honor where I made surprise presentation. The Scouters were just beaming with delight as I pinned on their medals. It was a good night. They hadn't asked for it; they didn't even know about it; they surely appreciated it. The parents in the audience took notice as they gathered around the ASM's after the meeting, and I know the Eagle son and the soon-to-be Eagle sons were very proud too. I can't wait for the next big troop ceremony as I learned another four Scouters unknowingly finishing their STA. Time for another surprise presentation.

YiS,

Chazz Lees