Square Knot Creation

I recently converted my scout shirt into a scouter shirt. Thus removing my eagle patch and arrow of light and adding in place my knots. However I also go rid of what I viewed one of my coolest uniform pieces. My national den chief cords (the red white and blue cords worn on the shoulder of boys who serve 2 years as a den chief and fulfill other requirements) . I thought this is something not everyone gets, its a national award and one not easily attainable why isn't there a knot for this?

Am I the only one who thinks this deserves a knot? Please let me know what you think about turning that into a knot. Also feel free to post other things you think are knot-worthy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick there are folks who think the Den Chief Service Award should have knot. And others who do not. This has been discussed before.

Now if you are a Venturer, you can wear it until your 21, and you can also serve as a DC. One of my frineds/coworkers when I worked for national loved the fact that at camp we could wear teh venturing uniform with the rest of the staff b/c he could still wear his AOL and Eagle since he was under 21.

As most of the knots relate to achievements as an adult and a leader, I would be against this type of knot. The square knots (actually adult leader recognition knots) were created to recognize adult contributions to scouting, and not relive past accomplishments as a youth. I do know scouting allows Eagle, AOL, and youth religious emblem knots, but I believe the focus should remain on adult service and accomplishments.

Nick, while the cords are a worthy accomplishment, I would not recommend a knot be created to represent them.

That red/white/blue knot you just sewed on: there are scouters who would trade all of their other knots for the privilege to wear just that one.

In time, you'll see that your Eagle knot more than encompasses all of your scouting achievements.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

Desert I think your right. Ill be honest I see some adults with 6+ knots, they look like 3rd world dictators and i envy them sort of. My shirt just feels more empty. In time I too might have that many knots. Until then ill keep working down the path of vigil.

My commissioner shirt has 1 knot -- My Tiger Den Leader Achievement. It's what started it all for me, and it introduced me to the concept as an adult that Scouting is all about those wide-eyed and excited little guys that are the future of our country and world.

Yes, I have a district shirt with my others on it that I wear to official functions, but when I'm with the units, that's the statement I'm making about me -- Tiger Cubs was the start of something wonderful for me.

Nick,

A wise man who very recently passed away told me that it's not the number of the knots that you wear, but the service you provide to the youth.

I admit when I first became a district committee member at 21 I became a little "knot happy." I had my three from youth, and wasn't concerned about knots when I was only in my troop, b/c it wasn't a big deal, and everyone knew me and my KSAs. Problem came about when I joined the discomm as OA chapter adviser and very, very few folks took me seriously. Long story short, i though that if I had a few more knots, people would take me seriously. I earned my STA, and guess what, nothing changed. Those who didn't take me seriously still did not, and those that knew me did.

Just relax and have fun in your new role as an adult.

"As most of the knots relate to achievements as an adult and a leader, I would be against this type of knot. The square knots (actually adult leader recognition knots) were created to recognize adult contributions to scouting, and not relive past accomplishments as a youth. I do know scouting allows Eagle, AOL, and youth religious emblem knots, but I believe the focus should remain on adult service and accomplishments."

Actually, Eagle Scout was one of the first six square knots introduced by the BSA in the 1940's, so knots for youth achievement were included in the mix from the very beginning.

Though discussed in another post, it was pointed out that specific youth knots are representative only of the highest award for each division:

Cub Scouts=AOL knot

Boy Scouts=Eagle knot

Venturing=Silver Award knot

Sea Scouting=Quartermaster knot

The religious recognitions (awards) are (k)not issued or run by BSA, so wouldn't be catagorized as those listed above.

I agree that the Den Chief Service Award is commendable and uncommon, but it does not meet the "criteria" categorized above.

"Though discussed in another post, it was pointed out that specific youth knots are representative only of the highest award for each division:

Cub Scouts=AOL knot

Boy Scouts=Eagle knot

Venturing=Silver Award knot

Sea Scouting=Quartermaster knot"

Question is Varsity Scouting not considered another division of scouts?

hendricks,

Varsity Scouts earn Eagle as their highest rank. Now there is the Denali Award that they can earn, but like the current Ranger Award, it is not rank, so it doesn't have a knot.