New Venturing Uniform?

I was told by Scout Stuff the venturing uniform was changing but have not been able to find any pics. My scout Shop has tried to order them but they cant seem to get them in just yet.

YIV

John

AFAIK, its NOT changing.

What we may see is the forest-green shirt come out in new materials similiar to the tan centennial uniform. Which I find a little hard to accept, as I figured there is still a good supply of the current forest-green shirt.

My advise: don't sweat it. It doesn't make the current shirt go away or give one a reason to replace it.

Asked the guy in our Scout Shop today about it. I bought one of the current shirts for the Jamboree. He said there are rumors and they are being careful not to overstock. The rumors seem to run in the direction of a dark green shirt with the same crap the new Centennial shirt has on it. I don't want one, thank you very much. Spent $150 today on stuff I'll probably never wear again after August. And I still have to pay somebody to sew on all the badges. :((This message has been edited by kahuna)

• 2 weeks later...

Kahuna

Our council's National store is already closing out the Venturing traditional shirts they have left in inventory. I bought some today for our crew going to jambo and to have in inventory. The new shirts feel flimsy, look poorly made, compared alongside the former one, and they really are ugly, I will never buy one. Maybe I will stop by the council tommorrow and pick up a couple of the older shirts for myself, they are going fast.

Actually, I bought another of the 'old shirts' a month or two ago, and decided to buy one last weekend. Good thing I did, as the shop I visited only had 3 males shirts, thankfully my size. I basically have 8 shirts, one for each of the Jamborees I've been to. Should work fine for me for some time, as I don't plan on going to another after 2010...

BadenP- sounds like you've seen the actual new shirt.

Does it have the World Crest on it?

What does the shirt strip ("Venturing BSA") look it? An sewn embroidered strip?

Are there pocket flaps, and what is the configuration? From the picture its not too clear, but looks like more of a squared off flap, with no indication of either buttons or snaps, so maybe velcro.

the new shirt is online at scout stuff. Its listed under "New Items" and under shirts. It sucks! Looks more like the activity shirt then a uniform. BSA is crazy, they are going to price kids out of scouting. The prices are always going up. I spend more on my scout shirts then i do on my army uniforms. My kid saw the shirt at the scout shop and one of my other crew members saw it. They didnt like it.

emb021

Yes I saw it, felt it, and put it right back down. It is made up of mostly nylon with some spandex thrown in for support, the strip and Venturing logo on the pocket looked like they were molded on definitely not sewn, similiar to the BS shirt. No flag or crest. The pockets on the ones I saw had velcro like closures. The shirt feels like you are wearing your kids nylon school pack. IMHO these new shirts will not hold up well in an active crew and at $40 a pop they are a total waste of money. Your crew is much better off designing their own uniform made with quality material and workmanship, and with this new shirt maybe that is what National wants crews to do.

My crew started out wearing a scrub top because we originally started out kind of like a explorer post for youth interested in the medical field. now we wear borth scrubs and green venturing shirts. I tell my kids to go to wal mart and buy the dickies shorts for $17. they fit well, nice cargo pockets and hold up to active wear.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a look (and feel) of the new Venturing Uniform. It reminds me of a fishing shirt. This is more of a action / activity shirt. The "Venturing BSA" is a sewn on patch and the Flag is a real embroidered patch, not the crap on the Centennial Uniform. That is the only positive thing I have to say about it.

Who designed it? Nobody I have heard of gave input, was asked for input, or knows of any asked for. As far as can be known, nothing was advertised asking for help. Typical of National. They probably used a focus group of people who know nothing about Venturing or Scouting. Just those who own sweatshops in SE Asia.

Does anyone know of any REAL local leaders or Venturers who were involved with the design?

Ebay sellers of the old style will be very busy.

I for one do not like it and will wear my "old" one until it rots off my back.

I have to wonder who at National is getting the payoff for this? After all, as we know when it comes to major decisions at National, money talks.

Cap Iron

You saw a shirt with sewn on patches? The one at my scout store had the same molded crap as the centinnel BS uniform. I wonder which version is the official one? I know National is using both China and Bangaledesh as manufacturers now.

I saw some on our new camp staffers. It's like that light tan/sandy colored Class B activity shirt with the ventilation in the back. It even has the back velcro for ventalation (which makes no sense). The pocket flaps are there, but they are flush with the shirt.

I'm still no impressed.

"I for one do not like it, and will wear my old one until it rots off my back."

I think that quote from Captain Iron says it all for most of us in Venturing. I swear what how do those fools at National keep coming up with these stupid ideas one after another and still manage to keep their jobs?? As Ricky Ricardo would say, "Mazzuca, you got some esplaining to do."