Wear of old uniforms

I planted a idea for my boys at the Pack Meeting. Last year, I had 2 boys out of the Pack in the local June Parade in our town. Our Pack had about 20 boys then, but this was the first time we had done it in several years. I am trying to gear them up to have a better turn out this year. I have a collection of several old cub scout and boy scout uniforms. I explained that they could be a reinactor like they see at historical sites. This time they would reinact of scouts from the past. They all were excited about the idea. I hope it stays with them so we can help celebrate our 100 birthday.

Question #1 a 1940's era uniform came with both a tie, and a full size rectangular neckerchief. Did boy uniforms ever wear neckties?

Question #2 The Neckerchief, Do we just fold it in triangle and wear it like modern ones?

I do believe the tie was for adults and Explorers.

From the pictures one sees the square neckers were folded into a triangle and then gathered rather than folded/rolled. I don't seem too much evidence of fold/roll until the 50's and 60's.

I also think the necker under the collar is a rather newer convention, i.e. 70's-80's-ish time period.

I would also think that to a certain degree with the very old tunic uniforms being made of wool (pre-1940's) could cause a bit of irritation around the neck. If one were to tuck the top part of the necker inside the collar while the rest hung out over the collar. This would not work well with a rolled/folded necker.

Stosh

Stosh

Both Explorers and Air Scouts wore ties in the 1940s, 50s, and beyond.

In fact, there were different color ties they wore depending on their uniform.

For Explorers, they wore brown ties with the green uniform, maroon ties with the khaki uniform (which they wore in the 40s). Adults, btw, wore khaki ties.

Explorers wore a red/white/blue tie with the blazer uniform of the 60s.

Air Scouts wore royal blue ties with their sky blue uniforms.