If caps are "optional" can we substitute?

Yes and no!

Technically, BSA says you cannot change uniforms and cannot mix them up:

"a.No alteration of, or additions to, the official uniforms, as described in the official publications, or the rules and regulations covering the wearing of the uniform and the proper combinations thereof on official occasions, may be authorized by any Scouting official or local council or any local executive board or committee, except the Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America after consideration by the Program Group Committee. "

No technically...NO!

But then you have : Realistically.

In the real world, I cannot see where anybody should be offended or so upset over the hat you describe. Wear the hat. It will not make the program fail nor ruin their experience in scouting!

Scoutstuff.org has a description of the Cub Scout hat:

"Part of the Official Cub Scout Uniform for a Bear Cub Scout."

It's pretty clear to me that we're not to change it.

That being said, my old pack has a Class "B" boonie cap because we're outside enough in the desert to burn little necks and ears, and we use that when not wearing the field uniform.

If the Pack is not requiring the boys to purchase the hat for their level, why would you require your den to purchase one?

Personally, required or not, I would not (did not) buy my son any hat at all. He very rarely wore any hat, and when he did it would get lost in 2 seconds flat. Not worth the money, or the trouble.

You can let your parents know about the 2010 hat, but REQUIRING it is another thing altogether.

I went with my old hat from CS as it can be used for 3 years. Now he does wear his Camp Bonner hat that I got him at a family camp from time to time. I got him that hat since just before the name change to Camp Boddie.

Now I did get him a Wolf hat recently as he may be needing it for the parade in Washington DC.

"...but she'll aways be Bonner to me."

caps are completely optional. i don't believe in them myself. i've always been a fan of e e cummings.

da only thing I object to is ALL CAPS. too much like SHOUTING. hurts my eyes.

beavah :)

Uniforming is a method we use to teach da youth, Wolf_Leader_120. Do whatever yeh think will help you best accomplish your goals for the kids. Bears are sometimes gettin' old enough that the blue cap starts feelin' too "little kid" to 'em, so go ahead and use the black one if yeh think it'll do the job.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. While the uniform inspection guide lists the hat as "optional", the pack does push the purchase of a new hat every year. But like someone said, the blue can appear a bit young looking for these boys. I thought that since the parents were going to go out and buy new hats anyway, why not pick something cool looking that the boys can feel proud of. The unique look may bond them as a team a little more.

Have the boys purchase the official hat for bears so they are in proper uniform attire. While the youth are in CS is the time to teach them proper uniforming.

The other hat you mentioned is not a official uniform hat even though its sold through the scout shop.

My only problem with the uniform hats is that the BSA doesn't sell a hat that will fit my head. So I either have to go with a substitute or no hat at all. Which at camp isn't a good idea since I'm so fair skinned.

I do wear Scout related hats though. One hat a Cub Scout logo patch sewn to it and the other one has the 1910-2010 patch on it. This is not counting the hats that I wear to just keep the sun off my face and back of the neck. They don't have anything on them, but I have been meaning to add a pin or something.

I am not a big fan of seeing someone wear a MLB hat (not counting when they are at a ballgame on Scout Day) or some non-Scounting related hat though. Just bad form in my opinion.