New Restricted Insignia offered on eBay

Beavah is correct this is a free country and this is far less worse than people buying military awards such as a Purple Heart, Congressional Medal of Honor, Bronze Star, and many others and portraying themselves as former service members. As was discussed in another thread in most National scout stores you can buy restricted items without any proof or paperwork. I know of one case where a non scouting person, adult, went in to the scout store and bought a Eagle award presentation set because he thought it "looked cool" and he had it displayed in his home during a party. When I asked him when he was in scouts he said,"I never was in scouts but I always wanted to be an Eagle scout." I told him he was not entitled to have that award since he never earned it and he was committing a fraud claiming it was his. He looked at me and said "it's no fraud I paid for the dam* thing, so it is mine." If someone wants to be a pretender and dishonest they will be and there is not much you can do about it.

In the Massachusetts Bay Colony, only people with a personal fortune of at least two hundred pounds could wear lace, silver or gold thread or buttons, cutwork, embroidery, hatbands, belts, ruffles, capes, and other articles. After a few decades, the law was being widely defied.

Man, I miss those days.

Guess my question or comment was unclear. My gripe is mostly with those that somehow are able to obtain these items and use them to make a profit. Obviously, that does not seem to bother some; and others seem to have missed the intent of the comment.

Got to go worry about more important things. Have COR this weekend, and have brand new kids and leaders. Should be interesting.

Not to hijack the thread.

I have a fair amount of "Scout Stuff", that the more I think about it and the more I look at it, really doesn't mean that much to me any more.

A few years back, I unloaded a lot of mugs, leaving them in one of the buildings at camp, so others could use them or maybe even take them!

I never gave any thought to what might or might not be seen as being "Restriced". I'm sure that most of it isn't.

I'm way too lazy to bother to try and sell it on E-bay or any-place else.

But not as yet ready to place it in the trash.

As yet, I just not sure what to do with it all.

Ea

I think the concern of the original poster was in auction listings like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boy-Eagle-Scout-Complete-2010-Rank-Patch-Badge-Set-BSA_W0QQitemZ200460510184QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eac60a3e8

We are not talking about old patches. There are many with the new "2010 restricted rank" patches. The concern is how are these getting into general circulation.