Embroidered Names Tags with Fleur de Lis

I too am not a big fan of the magnetic tags. The slightest bump or rub against something and they move out of place. I've also come really close to losing them when something caught it and popped it off the shirt. You often don't even notice when that happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

T2   Why on earth do you need a nametag? Don't the people in your troop know who you are? Maybe at a council function you can use a temporary one or a pin on one, but a permanent name patch, lol gi

• 9 months later...

We just got a quote from www.MilitaryUniformSupply.com. Our troop is looking at these very closely. Maybe not for the scouts, but for the scouters.

Right now, none of the scouts or scouters wear any name tags. We just assume everyone knows everyone.

Do you scouts wear name tags?

Why do you need nametags?

I think the leaders need to have name tags so new parents and scouts can easily identify who they are talking to.

the only boys that occasionally wear nametags are the ones who got them going to Jambo...the rest don't

as for the adults, I think the name tags make it a lot easier for the parents and other District/Council leaders to approach you....

please let us know when you get more info from your source...there will be more of us interested

I've never worn a name tag on any scout/scouter uniforms but I have always had them on my law enforcement/EMS/fire dept. uniforms. I see a great benefit in using these because for those of us with "short term amnesia" (ha, ha) and can't remember the names all of those people that we were just introduced to, it helps.

Would the standard white on black name tag that the U.S. Army uses fit the quidelines? I can get one or several of these at the military surplus store that outfits or local military base.

One other thing, there are plastic dam*its that I used on my other uniforms instead of the metal ones. These seemed to work a lot better and don't allow the pins to stab you in the chest.

Another solution to the pin type name tags is to put a piece of cardboard behind the shirt that is the exact same size as the name tag.

That way it keeps the name tage completely flush against the shirt and prevents it from getting snagged on things, and the cardboard also acts as a spacer for the frogs (or dam*its) so they don't pass through the thin metal and poke you in the chest.

I've been doing it that way since ROTC in college.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a very decent price quote for embroidered name tags for the entire troop.

The Troop Committee nixed any name tags for scouts over Megan's Law concerns about predators seeing a scout in uniform and calling him by his last name.

No good deed, right....

Hovering at 18" in my hammock,

Fuzzie

As another with short term amnesia, I appreciate name tags on others. I use mine often. The magnetic type is OK for meetings and roundtables, but when camping it's prone to get lost fast.

I'm interested in the fabric name type. If it matched the size and font of the interpreter strip, that might be OK, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, we got two threads on name tags. I posted on that one, so I might as well post on this one. I just made a cloth nametag. I didn't have and couldn't find a spent uni shirt so I took mine to JoAnn's Fabric and found some material that matched the color. That was 85 cents. I then took the shirt and material to a place in the mall that does custom embroidery on hats to get my name done in red letters. That was $10 (Ouch) but I couldn't find a cheaper place. I folded and ironed the outside edges back to form a name tag sized rectangle and sewed it on the shirt. It looks sharp, but a bit of a warning, it looks a little like an interpreter strip. What saves me is that the way I folded it, it's taller hightwise and short widthwise than the interpreter strip and the fact that I have my first and last name on it which can't be confused with a foreign language. My other option was to do a black cloth with white letters. I also just saw another scouter that did the tan w/red letters, but the tan was darker than the uni shirt, so it didn't look close to an interpreter strip. Even at $11, I though it was worth it because, it's great that people actually address me by name, I don't have to remember to put on/take off a nametag, and it doesn't snag on anything.

Name tags are a good idea. Troops, and Packs, often have new members ... and new adults involved. Besides, scout leaders should be attending many trainings, roundtables, camp meetings, disctrict events ect ... not everyone at will know you at all these activities.

I like the cloth idea, the military saw the value in this idea long ago, maybe it's our time.

• 1 year later...

old topic I know....

Our pack just camped the USS Yorktown. There was a troop there with sewn on embroidered tags. very sharp I thought. On boys and leaders. I asked a leader, who said they were close to a military base and "had an in"....

These were not nearly as big as the miliary strips and looked much nicer I thought for scouting, I'm guessing 3/4in wide max with maybe 5/8in letter height. Black strips with the fleur & first and last names all in line, to mimic the official BSA tags.

I'm not sure about putting them on the Cub uniforms, but i think it would be nice for the leaders.....

Re. the BSA magnetic one..... what do I think about them? If anyone ever finds mine, please let me know!

old topic I know....

Our pack just camped the USS Yorktown. There was a troop there with sewn on embroidered tags. very sharp I thought. On boys and leaders. I asked a leader, who said they were close to a military base and "had an in"....

These were not nearly as big as the miliary strips and looked much nicer I thought for scouting, I'm guessing 3/4in wide max with maybe 5/8in letter height. Black strips with the fleur & first and last names all in line, to mimic the official BSA tags.

I'm not sure about putting them on the Cub uniforms, but i think it would be nice for the leaders.....

Re. the BSA magnetic one..... what do I think about them? If anyone ever finds mine, please let me know!