Venturers can choose what they desire for their uniform; they can choose not to have a uniform.

The encouragement is that if you want a uniform like Boy or Cub Scouts, encourage the youth to select the official shirt (I'm no fan of the pants/shorts; I still recommend Columbia, Cabela's, or Bass Pro grays... better fit and finish and less expensive). The pedants among us will want the Supply Corporation pants/shorts.

"Can the Boy Scout Long/Short Sleeve Action Shirt be used as a Venturing uniform? Can you put insignia on it?"

I would say No and No.

It's a Boy Scout item. Venturers shouldn't wear it, any more then they can (or should) wear the tan Boy Scout uniform. Or even a Cub Scout uniform.

If your crew doesn't like the forest green Venturing shirt, take a look at the 'fishing shirts' you can get from Columbia, Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's. I know of several crews who have adopted those and wear insignia on them. Tho cost wise they are (depending on where you get them) the cost is close to the spruce green shirt.

I would think they can. The BSA Action Shirt is a part of the BSA just as Venturing is part of the BSA. The only thing on the Action shirt is the intials "BSA" and the fleur de lis. The dark green Venturing shirt has "BSA" on it, and the world crest (fleur de lis).

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=BOOK&c3=&c4=&lv=2&item=615ASL

I don't know how it will work with insignia - the material is on the thin side.

Also be careful - there is a rumor that Supply is discontinuing this shirt. On the scoutstuff.org site, you will notice they only have one size for adults - Small. We use these shirts as part of our Activity (Class B) uniform, and they work great. Get 'em while you can.