What is a trail meal?

One of theCamping merit badge requirements is to prepare a trail meal on a light weight stove while on a campout.

What exactly is a trail meal? Is Ramen noodles enough? Does it need to be more elaborate?

It seems to me that anything, even if quite basic, that could be packed in easily would qualify.

Thoughts?

Brad

A trail meal is whatever you are winning to carry and prepare on the trail that satisfies your nutritional requirements.

Ramen alone is the beginnings of a meal and will leave me out of fuel in about 2 hours at the most.

Suggestions:

Ramen noodles with half a can of chicken added and an orange or handful of trail mix

peanut butter on a flour tortilla and a single pack of applesuace or an apple or trail mix (don't use corn tortillas the disintegate in a pack as does sanwich bread)

tuna in a foil pack (keeps forever and weighs less than canned stuff) add mayo and relish (from the small platic packs) to make tuna salad with crackers and trail mix or fruit.

Fresh fruit is heavy but it makes the perfect reward after a long day on the trail or at the top of a mountain.

To all bring powdered gatoraid or some drink mix in a ziplock and mix it in a water bottle. NEVER MIX IT IN A HYDRATION CELL. The acids will dissolve and destroy the cell over time.

Addeddum:

I just noticed that all I gave were lunch suggestions.

Dinner:

Lipton noodles and sauce mix add canned meat.

hamburger helper add dehydrated ground beef.

flavored rice mix with meat

Beans and rice with sliced summer sausage added.

Freeze-dried dinners are great but expensive. I recomend Mountain House brand.

For dessert make pudding and you can chill it if you are near a cold water source. In cold weather make jello and drink it hot, it will keep you toasty all night. Pack in some cookies too. Popcorn is great around the campfire.

I can't stress enought that the meal must satisfy the nutritial requirements of the hiker. Food is fuel especially on the trail. This is not an opinion this is a fact. So ramen is not enough because it will not satify the nutritional requirements of any hiker and high calories are a must.

The average person takes in about 3000 calories a day. When backpacking you burn 5000 to 6000 a day leaving you in a caloric deficit. Poor nutrition will aggravate this. On week long high adventure backpacking trips I strongly suggest you require your boys to bring multivitamins.

Mike's suggestions are all very good. I am going to write them down myself. His initial response also reflects my reaction to your question. In my mind a "trail meal" is a meal eaten at mid day while on the trail. Breakfast and evening meals are meals taken in a camp site. What were you looking for?

Eisely pegged my initial thoughts exactly.

I was thinking something eaten on the trail not in camp-world of difference and most backpaskers don't do hot lunches. It means you have to carry more weight in fuel.

heavy bad

light good