What patches are allowed on backpacks

RS,

LOL. Been there, done that, was part of the council problem, and now I'm back since I'm now on two of the council's programming committees ( that's what happens when you make suggestions)

JG,

Welcome to the forums! Anything can be placed on the packs. In fact had 1 patch on my old ALICE pack, my leather 50 miler patch, BUT I would advise against putting any old patch on it. #1 patches add weight and #2 sewing them onto the pack does cause some minor waterproofing problems.

EDITED: So make sure it's a special patch that goes on it. Sometime inthe near future, I will be placing my WSJ and 50 Miler leather patches on my new pack. Nopw that i have holes in my 50 miler, and the WSJ patch has holes prepunched, I don't haev to take them to a cobler to sew the patches on.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

We considered a slightly different idea for patches. We have considered giving each scout a personalized backpack cover upon completing their first backpack with the troop. We have a mom who has 2 embroidery machines, so she could add the troop emblem and the scout's name. Scouts could also add patches as they saw fit. It would make sense to use waterproof spray (outside and in) on the embroidery, patches and threads to seal them well.

Doesn't change the weight issue, but it does improve on the concern of holes and waterproofing. Also, a wet patch will weigh much more than one which has been thoroughly waterproofed and resists soaking up mosisture.

This may be the year we choose to do this. Or not.

Personally, I put a few patches on my backback, but there were very few.

I would put the following on:

* Historical Trails Award (its mean as equipment decoration anyway)

* 50 miler (ditto)

* Paul Bunyan award (ditto)

* patches for any trails I backpacked (Appalachian Trail, Florida Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, etc)

* patches for any High Adventure base/program I backpacked (Philmont, etc).

So I wouldn't be putting my CPS or unit number, or jambo or camporee patches. But that's me.

FWIW, I had an AT patch, Philmont, and Historical Trails Award patch, plus I branded the leather crampon patch on the pack with the Philmont brands.