Temporary Patch or No?

So, I was just wondering...and everybody I personally talked to doesn't know:

The round 100 year patch that goes around the world crest - is that considered a temporary patch to be removed in 2011 or does it stay?

Yeah, there probably are more pressing issues, but it's bugging me now! LOL!

It should be temporary.

ALL such anniversary patches are intended to be worn only during the anniversary year.

However, I have not seen anything in writting that says this. I doubt we'll see anything from National telling people to stop wearing them after Dec 31, 2010.

Well I've heard that it's only for a brief time, but I've seen nothing in stone about it. Plus with so many people gluing things onto the uniforms these days in stead of sewing it on, You will be seeing them in the future.

What i would really like is the cool JAMBO ring that they are selling to jambo participants.

I would imagine it is supposed to be a temporary patch, yet, I think it should be able to be worn by those who were in Scouting during this centennial year as long as they want to wear it. What would be the harm in that? I still see people wearing Jamboree patches from the 1960's with pride and I think this is sort of the same thing.

Most people, except for the uniform police, will not make an issue of wearing the 100 year patch past 2010. There has been no communication from my council or district that the patch is "temporary" and I can see this patch being worn on shirts many years to come. So be it, it's a special patch for a special time as this.

As I understand the official uniform policy, anything that was, at any time, an official part of the uniform can be worn at any time. In other words, if you still have those knee socks with the red tabs (man, were they cool, or what?), you can still wear them.

So while it may be mentioned that these are "temporary," if they're legal once, they're legal forever.

eagle92, As far as the legality of designing the patch to go around the world crest, you'll have to take that up with the lawyers at national. I was commenting on wearing the patch as designed. That's the reason you can wear a jamboree patch forever. The uniform manual says it goes above the right pocket, a position that is not defined as the place to put tempoaray patches.

Personally, I like the 100 year patch on the uniform, BUT I am not going to cry or get upset if BSA said it was temporary and had to be taken off.

It's a cool patch, just not cool enough to have a fit over.

:)

Yep folks will be wearing them for a very long time And I will be one of them. Unlike the tan and green numbers I did take off my CU when nationally finally decided to let CS leaders know we are suppose to wear the red and whites, i only had the number on about 1-2 weeks and they are the same size, I've worn the sahirt long enough with the ring that I bet if I tool it off, you culd tell it was on there.