District Insignia?

I was reading the latest "uniform police" thread, and I was reminded of the regulations that often go unenforced. Consider the following concerning district insignia:

"Districts are operational arms of the local council. Individuals are not identified as residents of a district, but of the local council and the Boy Scouts of America. For this reason district insignia is not authorized for wear on the uniform. Where it seems desirable to identify district participation in council activities, district flags or banners may be authorized. They are described in the flag portion of this book."

I was a Scout, and later a Scouter, in a district that has been an identifiable entity in no less than four local councils in its history (that I'm aware of). The district has retained its name and identity through each transition, and there has always been a district patch. I was actually asked to produce a re-design for this patch, which I did, and this patch remains in use to this day.

I was wondering, what is the general feeling toward district insignia?

(chuckle) Considering I just had some district crests (Canadian patches--went through ZoneWest, a Canadian company) made up to put on neckerchiefs to handout as my thank you gifts at our district banquet and I sold-off the remaining crests and donated the money towards a campership fund, then I guess I'm in deep trouble with National and the Uniform Police. :)

The neckerchiefs/crests were a big hit. I think National (or at least each local council) is missing out on a money making scheme by not allowing district insignia.

Sherminator, good luck. I went Canadian 'cause the American companies I usually use are all licensed by the BSA and as such aren't allowed to produce district insignia.

Two of the districts I've been in have had district insignia. One had a button loop and was meant to be a temp patch, specifically for the camporree (however there was nothing on the patch stating camporee and it was used as an "excuse" to make district insignia), and the other district gave the patch out to district committee members and those who were onthe various event staffs.

Now I do know of 1 district in one council that has created district insignia, and encourages all leaders to buy it for uniform wear in lieu of the regional pactch, and the money goes into the that district's events budgets.

And we wonder why uniform police get upset. The book clearly (right up front, and plain as day) that district patches are not for uniform wear. The writers here obviously know it. Why then do people do it? We have districts in my council who wear them. I've had it mentioned at the council Key-3 meetings, and all district Key-3s have gotten the word. People still wear them, and I will continue to take issue with it. I'm careful not to offend anyone (directly), because it's not my job to dress-down someone from across town, but I'll continue to see to it that their district leadership knows better.

BDPT00

Me personally I would not wear a district patch on the uniform as they are not authorized.

now putting the patch on a hat or necker, I like. Big necker fan, and will be buying a district necker in the very near future. Also one district DID make district patches and put them on hats. I got one.

"Our District proudly wears our District patch!"

I guess it's a good thing then that your district and I don't co-habitate.

Tell me this, Mr Retired Military; where on your uniform do you instruct people to wear it? And what do you tell them if they refer to the Insignia Guide?

BDPT00

I am not in John's district. My district adjoins John's district.

In our council, wearing district insignia is common. I do not think it is a matter of instruction. I think it is a convention in our council, like wearing Mic-O-Say and OA lanyards.

Personally, I do not wear district insignia.

Regards,

Axeman

CR/UC

What's an OA lanyard?

KCJohn,

I just reread my posting. It sounds disrespectful. It wasn't meant to be, Sir. I will add something from days gone by. My district used to display our colors much more prominantly. Our training staff and service corps (KP guys mostly) wear a necker and slide awarded for service to the district. We have a patch, too, and I used to wear mine proudly ... until I realized it wasn't authorized (we wore it in the Jambo spot). Now the only ones I see are worn by those who don't care at all about proper uniforming, and they're very vocal about it.

Within the council, some districts wear them where a region patch would go. I've seen kids with them too. I do what I can to get rid of them (when I'm in a position to do so).

BDPT00

(uniform police can be disgusted, but also polite)

Our OA Coup thong:

http://hoac-bsa.org/ae_links/OA_Coup_Forms.pdf

Yes, we wear it any Scouting time there is not a neckwear safety issue.

The Mic-o-Say coup thong is inside Customs and Traditions, and not available as a web resource. Trust me, the various baubles are similar in nature. Again, we wear it any Scouting time there is not a neckwear safety issue.

Yes, HOAC adapts the uniform. Scouters (and Scouts) wear District patches. Scout Executive after Scout Executive, to include David Ross (former CSE) and Jim Terry (current VP BSA and Asst CSE--Internal Operations Group) have worn these coup thongs. So, I'm operating within sanctioned practice of my Council :)

Does that answer your question?

Let the leetle grey cells percolate...

Historically, left sleeve, use to have town/state strips on the shoulder curve, now a big Council patch. Below that, Unit Number and PoR patch. Could not we have a ("approved", by whom?) District strip right below, chockablock the Council patch? Seems to me that would be an appropriate spot...

Our District (stable nominclaturely and geographically defined now for almost two years!!!), passes out Commissioner neckers with special District patches thereon emplaced. I know not how financed, but they are big, adult sized neckers and 4" patches. Pretty.

"Could not we have a ("approved", by whom?) District strip right below, chockablock the Council patch? Seems to me that would be an appropriate spot... "

Well, one council in my state did that for several years. Each district had a strip that went below the CSP (probably about half the hight of a unit number. they stopped doing that several years back.

National says no district insignia. I personally can see the reason for it. Districts come & go in some areas. Too often I see some scouters get more attached to their district then to their council, to the detriment of the council (won't support the council, etc). So I can see the reasoning not to over emphasis the districts.

• 2 weeks later...

Many in my district wear our district patch, most below the American Flag on the right sleeve. Our district patch was created by our former District Commissioner. I wear it on my UC uniform and District Committee one as well. Several other districts in our council also have district patches. I have never heard of any flack over its use. It's my opinion that our council tolerates its display since the professionals have done nothing to stop the practice. Every council differs in their policies, even when it may differ from National.

I wear the patch as a matter of pride because I am very proud of my district and its volunteers who serve it. Is a District an entity unto itself? Any thoughts?