Troop Guide / Patrol Patches

My son has become a Troop Guide for a new patrol of Scouts that just started last night. I went and picked up his Troop Guide patch and patrol patches for the patrol that he is in. However, I wanted to check and see - do Troop Guides wear patrol patches for the patrol their helping or just their TG patch?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

It depends. Some troops imbed the Troop Guide into the New Scout Patrol and he becomes a member of that patrol. He would then wear the patch for that new scout patrol. Other troops do not do this and the Troop Guide retains the patrol patch for the patrol he is currently in.

Officially, troop guides are not a member of the patrol that they are the guide for. In practice, though, they are often treated as if they are. I would say that the most correct answer would be that they do not wear the patch, but I wouldn't see any harm if they did.

In my troop the troop officers wear their POR and are not part of the patrols.

We have taken a hit in membership this year and the boys did nothing to recruit and got nothing in terms of new members. I have 9 boys now and they are all one patrol. However the patrol size is limited to 6-8 boys and so we have one "extra" scout. He's an Eagle and is the TG/SPL/JASM/etc. of the troop. He wears an old red/black patrol patch with an eagle on it. The boy who aged out ahead of him that held a similar situation in the troop wore the red/black long horn patch. In past years the boys have all been given these red/black patches to indicate a bit of their personality. Yes, one of the boys got the squirrel patch. He thought it was cool.

Any time I can do some of these minor little things to bring out a bit of pride, I do so.

Stosh