Temp. Placement of Boy Scout POR

Does anyone have any good ideas for placing the Patrol Leader, Asst Patrol Leader patches on the new shirts? Sewing patches on the pocket is difficult as most everyone has found out. I'm not sure I want to ask my wife to sew on the Patrol Leader patch only to remove it in 6 months when his term is done.

Is it still acceptable to hang them off the pocket?

First off, why is the scout's mother sewing the patch on? It should be the scout's responsibility. I've been doing that for a long time.

They can't hang off any pocket.

A solution might be to put tan/khaki velcro on the sleeve pocket to change the POR.

emb's answer is correct by the insignia guide.

That said, I have seen a District Commissioner and a Council Commissioner use a plastic patch dangle for their position patches. I suspect either the shirts or the position were new, and they hadn't had time to deal with the sewing.

It's not a perfect idea. Do your youth want good now or perfect later?

At the end of the day, this kind of decision should be pushed down to the SPL and the PLC. Make them think it through...

Use Velcro.

My entire uniform has khaki colored velcro, and it is great. I can wear it at Pack Meetings, Troop Meetings, District Meetings, and make Commissioner Visits. I keep all of my position patchs in the pocket, and can switch at will. I can also swap out the CSP with ease.

Does it look as sharp as a well sewed patch? NO, but it is a great conversation starter and it always is ready to display the current temp patch.

Concur with the Scout sewing on patches. It's a life skill, i.e. what would happen if he was backpacking, and the pack started ripping, how is he going to fix the hole in the field? By Sewing of course.

Velcro is an alternative, but as otehrs said not as nice as sewing it on. Also be prepared for the " You don deserve this...ripp" jokes.

And temp insignia location IS a no no. However i do admit to seeing it done with repro OA LC and OA CC patches. i don't have a problem b/c 1) National only produced them for a few months and they were not approved for uniform wear (although I see them in the POR postion per the uniform regs that Supply put out with them) and #2 the repros have a button loop on them.

My entire uniform has khaki colored velcro, and it is great.

I have visions of the old David Letterman bit where he wears a velcro suit, jumps on a trampoline and sticks to a wall covered with the mating side of the velcro. Might be a fun patrol activity.

The first time I read the original post, it seemed to suggest that the Patrol Leader's wife was being asked to do the sewing. That's a different type of discussion.

Getting the patches on and correct is the responsibility of the scout. The right way is shown in many places. Having Mom do it is a fail. I knew a scout who took his uniform to a laundry where they offer alterations. Not my recommendation, but he found his solution.

-R

I would use Badge Magic. It seems to work the best for placing patches on that pocket. It also comes off quite nicely if you do it right. There is a video on the badge magic website about how to remove the patch. I did it just like the video said and you can't even tell there was ever a patch there.

I actually advise against Badge Magic, I had a very bad experience with it's predecessor Badge Bond when I worked supplay back in the day and I was the "Guinea Pig" when trying out new products b/c I wouldn't sell something that i either hadn't used or seen someone i know and trusted using.

Needle and thread and 5 minutes of one's time. Not a bad price to pay for a patch.

The pocket on the sleeve is no different than the pocket on the shirt. Now with the new uniform shirt why would it make any difference?

Go down to the store, buy a pocket notebook. Stuff it in the pocket before one starts to sew and voila, you cannot sew the pocket shut! This is not a big issue. Every boy should be able to sew on a button and a patch. These are simple skills that anyone can master after an extensive 5-minute course of study that if he's a quick learn could probably master in 3-minutes.

When I go to a reenactment with my uniform and they ask if I could fall in as a corporal or sergeant, it means I have to take off the old stripes and put on new. These are not small patches either. It can take me up to as much as 10-minutes to do this.

This is not a big deal people! Have the Girl Scouts come in an do a "Here's how to thread a needle", "Here's how to tie a knot in the end of the string", "Here's how to stick a pin to hold your patch in the right spot" and "Here's how to sew around the edge". Just ask. When they get done laughing and wiping the tears from their eyes, I'm sure they'd be happy to help out.

Stosh

Chazz, I'm not going to laugh at that comment, I've seen it done. Just tell the boys to make sure they staple backwards so the point ends don't stick in them when they get bumped around. ;)

Stosh