Interpreter Strips

Hello all,

Just curious if anyone might know if many of the interpreter strips have been discontinued?? I've been searching for one for Polish for quite some time and have been unable to find one. I don't think even National has it.

Are these things available anywhere??

Thanks!

Dzień dobry, pan.

Mwię tylko trochę po Polski.

I have not spoken any more than that in 20 years, and I doubt I will ever again be fluent enough to wear an interpreter strip. As you are certainly aware, there are large Polish-American communities in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo. It may be an idea to contact scout shops in these areas to see if they have a stock of which you may be able to order what you need.

Dobre szczęście.

Looking on the SCOUTSTUFF.ORG website and it looks like POLISH has been discontinued. I would call 504-887-3000, which is the SE Louisiana Scout Shop (they are great folks) and see if they may have one in their inventory or if tyhey can find one at another store. SOMETIMES, not always though, a national scout shop may have a discontinued item in their stock. If not they will usually call around to other stores for help.

Great Lakes Council (the old Detroit Area Council) would be a good place to check. We had a VERY large Polish community there (in fact, Shrove Tuesday is known as Pączki Day in Detroit ... mmmmmmmm, Pączki .... drool, drool, drool) and I would be will to guess they have some. 313.898.8920 (that is the Scout Shop in Detroit).

• 1 month later...

Buffalo Skipper~

Boy, you bring back memories! I grew up in Chicagoland and was so accustomed to all the Polish influence. When I moved out to Maryland I must have stopped buying lunch ham at the deli for 6 years until someone realized what I was asking for when I requested Polish ham (they refer to it as imported ham out here). My best friend through life is the daughter of Polish immigrants and her mother got so used to me she would speak to me in Polish, LOL.

I would say that the Midwest region might be able to help you or maybe you send an email to Mitch Reis and see if he knows of any sources or could locate one for you. If you exhaust all avenues without success, would they allow you to have one made by an embroidery shop?

Don't feel bad though, I doubt my son could earn an interpreter strip for his language of interest: Latin. Not unless he needs to talk to Caesar....

If it is not a standard available strip, National Supply will have it custom-made for you...those Scouts from Puerto Rico do get double-takes with English strips--quite legit, since their primary tongue is Spanish.

In our association in Austria the interpreter strips are no longer available.

I would need Czech for one of our boys.

And English, French and Italian for adults volunteers and Scout leaders.

And Latin of course, would also be nice. I learned it 5 years in school.

Eagle92: De bello Gallico was one of the first original texts vom the Roman times we read at school.

We are thinking to produce them on our own.

• 1 month later...

'box,

Below are the requirements. Key is to find someone fluent in the language to do these requirements with. Now grant you when my other half was registered, I just gave her a Francaise strip without having her do the formal requirements for me, but since she took over a college level French class after the prof died, I assumed she cold meet the requirements since she was now teaching French I, II, and III.

Youth and Adult members (Cub and Webelos Scouts, Boy and Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and Sea Scouts, plus Scouters in all programs) may wear this strip if they show their knowledge of a foreign language or the sign language for the hearing impaired by:

1. Carrying on a 5-minute conversation in this language.

2. Translating a 2-minute speech or address.

3. Writing a letter in the language (Does not apply for sign language)

4. Translating 200 words or more from the written word.

E92,

My son goes to a Swiss, French speaking school. He also helps the teacher to teach the German Class, due to it being his mother tongue, next to English.. in fact, the three languages are his mother tongues..

I just took a writing course in French which I passed, and hold a special Skill level in, so I also wear the French strip.. my son wears the French and German strips.. I did have a mother tell me that unless he was tested then he shouldn't be able to wear them.. I told her that due to his going to school in both languages that the testing the school gives should be enough..

Thanks for you help..

SB