Beads - not Wood Badge

I was at a council event recently and saw a leader in uniform with a long string of beads - perhaps several dozen, which were on a leather string that went around the neck and the end was attached to a front pocket button. These were round beads of differnt colors, along with some other shapes. I've never seen these before and was curious what they are.

Councils in our area offer a number of enhanced basic leadership courses, 4 weekends, and all of them use some type of a bolo with wooden beads on them, One is an indian, eagle, bear, and a turtle. Basically it depends on when time of year. The wooden beads on the bolo on the amount of deliverables you complete.

I guess your seeing something similar.

Its either something unique to his council or his unit.

In general, these are coup beads. Each bead represents something. It depends on what they are for. Most are used to recognize activity, either within a unit, or council or a particular camp. The beads may represent things like campouts, hikes, service hours, and other activites.

When I was a kid, my scout camp had these. We got beads for a rainy day, hiking a certain number of trails, doing service, attending vespers, earning merit badges, etc.

I encountered an OA chapter that did this, tho they used hand made ceramic beads, string on a sort of bandolier. Beads represented weekend events, do eagle COH, and other chapter activites.

Some councils will do such beads for adults to encourage participation, especially with training and the like.

Hope that helps. I would recommend asking him what they are for.

Everytime an OA activity is listed on the calender here, it may or may not be listed "A Beaded Activity", meaning that participants receive a bead of particular shape and color to string on their "coup loop". Some OA folks have long OA Leis. Much neck wear. Stoop shoulders result from much service?