Wearing medals

"My son was awarded the American Legion Americanism Medal. He was told by his last troop that he could wear it on special Scout occasions. What is your thought on this?"

If he was presented it as a Boy Scout, then wearing it at special occasions would be ok. Not all medals we wear come from the BSA. This includes the religous medals & community organization awards (given by other groups & approved by the BSA) and trail medals.

If one wears the medal, one is not supposed to wear the knot that represents it at the same time. I wear 7 knots on one shirt, and I have another with 5 knots, that I wear when I'm wearing the medals. So, I'm wearing knots, but NOT ones that represent the medals that I AM wearing. In other words, It's Knot OR medal, it is not Medal AND Knot.

Jay

On formal scouting occasions, it is permissible to wear both the knot and the medal, as it is not expected that anyone should have to remove the knot just to wear the medal on what is probably in the range of 3-5 times a year.

I wear an Eagle knot, and I don't take it off when I wear my Eagle medal to a Court of Honor. As a Scout, I didn't take off the religious knot on the occasions I wore those medals (though I did remove the devices).

Edit: The closest we get to addressing the subject is this line from the Insignia Guide is "Embroidered knots are representative of pin-on medals or around-the-neck awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer."(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Jay,

Norules is correct in that you CAN wear both the knot and medal at the same time.

Unlike the military in which ribbons are placed onto ribbonbars that are removable, the knots are usually sewn directly onto the uniform. Trust me it can a pain to cut and resew knots.

The online Insignia Guide has more info onthis topic.

"If he was presented it as a Boy Scout, then wearing it at special occasions would be ok. Not all medals we wear come from the BSA. This includes the religous medals & community organization awards (given by other groups & approved by the BSA) and trail medals. "

--- Actually, he earned as a Webelos II. He is the youngest person ever to receive the medal. I referred to his past "troop" before because I finally got used to Boy Scout vs. Cub Scout lingo and stopped calling it a pack. I am assuming you are saying that he would not be able to wear it?

• 1 year later...

I want you-all to know that this is all just for fun.

Page 4 "Special regulations" 2009-2010 Insignia Guide,(I haven't seen a 2011 one,) :

"TWO BADGES WITH THE SAME MEANING

Cloth badges and embroidered square knots are representative of metal pin -on awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer. Generally, when a cloth badge is worn, the metal one is not worn."

So, I'll agree that that isn't a prohibition, but I will adhere to it anyway.

"Be a bit like your doctor wearin' a ribbon from his 5th grade science fair project on his lab coat." - LMAO!

We have a guy (adult) in the district who wears an Eagle rank patch, PLUS all his medals and knots ALL THE TIME on a Venturing shirt. We generally regard him as a dork.

Pappa,

Is the adult a Venturing Youth? I know Venturers can wear their Eagle until age 21. When I worked for Supply, while at camp we could wear the Venturing Uniform with the national insignia instead of the tan and green since the rest of the camp staff wore one. My sales clerk loved that b/c he could wear his Eagle badge on the uniform since he was 19.

But he didn't wear the knot, nor the medal all the time.