Dare to Wear

I like the idea of wearing your uniform to school or work for the anniversary on February 8th. I'll do it and will encourage my scouts to do it as well. It seems a shame that it has not been promoted very much, at least not here.

My recent Eagle scout candidate told me he needed my signature on his Eagle application and would like to stop by and have me sign. He said it was going to take a bit of time before he could get there because he had to go home and get his uniform on before coming over. I told him it would be more convenient to just stop by and he wouldn't need his uniform.

Don't run across that very often in today's world.

Stosh

When I was in my first Troop as a youth, living overseas on a military base, it was always promoted to wear your uniform on BSA's annual birthday.

But I guess since we were on a base, everyone knew you were a scout anyway so it didn't matter at all to us that we were wearing them.

Can't wear the field uniform to work, although I have been known to wear my Venturing pants and a Scout polo. But I plan on wearing the "vintage" 1998 dress uniform of blue blazer, grey slacks, and "barbershop" tie. Oh and the french cuff shirt and BSA cuff links :)

Heck I may just wear that same ensemble the Friday before as I need to go to a statewide UW meeting. ;)

• 1 month later...

jet:

I think your idea was a great one and truly wish more scouts had your attitude. I remember seeing scouts wear their uniform to school on meeting days every week when I was in school (um, not mentioning WHEN that was, LOL). My son is having to leave his current troop due to lack of activity. They have not been camping since November 2009 and it is driving him crazy. Now that we are looking for another troop we find that most are so lax about their uniform. They don't wear it to meetings and when they do, they don't bother with neckerchiefs or hats. Why is this? Is because of the boys or because the parents won't put out the money to pay for the uniform?