Youth Members Wearing "Trained" Patch

Can youth members wear the "TRAINED" patch? And if so, what courses would make them eligible? I have yet to see a scout in our district, let alone council, wear one. However, I recently heard that this is permited. I have one scout recently take NYLT and two others TLT. I certainly would like to present these TRAINED patches if they can wear them.

Thanks.

Yep youth, Scouts and Venturers, are allowed to wear the trained strip per the Insignia Guide below. Just like adults, the youth must take training specific to their positions, i.e. Den Chief training for DCs, troop leader training for troop positions,, Venturing Leader Skills Course for venturers, etc, AND wear a trained strip in conjunction with the POR badge they were trained for.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/06I.aspx

Trained Leader emblem, No.00280, is available for all leaders who have completed the Basic Leader Training program appropriate to their positions. The emblem is worn on the left sleeve immediately below and touching the emblem of office for which it was earned. Boy Scout junior leaders who have completed troop junior leader training and den chiefs who have completed the den chief training conference may wear the Trained Leader emblem beneath their badge of office.

Note: The Trained Leader emblem may be worn only in connection with the emblem of office for which training has been completed.

Eagle92 is correct.

Some addition points.

This has been policy for a couple of decades at least.

As noted by the policy (and in Eagle92's post), the youth is ONLY to wear the trained strip WITH the position he hold for which he's had training.

This means that the youth is NOT to wear the trained strip by itself if he has no position (I see that too often). The idea is if he's PL, he can wear the trained strip IF he's been trained as a PL in Troop Leader Training (going to NYLT doesn't cover this).

As to Venturing. In all my years I don't think I've EVER seen a youth wear the trained strip, tho they can. The VLSC strip is what I always see.

Emb,

Grant there has been changes in the training format with NYLT, but back when I went through BA22, and staffed JLT, we were told/told the participants that by compelting the training, they were trained for ANY youth leadership position in the troop. Grant you those of us who went through BA22 wore the BROWNSEA strips instead, but I saw most of the JLT folks wearing them at the post conference meeting.

So that has changed?

Vince, you should not be able to simply purchase "Tranied" patches at your Scout Shop.

The patches are usually presented to folks by their trainer, after completing training. I have also had them left for the participant with their unit's "mail" at the council office, and mailed directly to the participant's home.

Contact your Council to see if your youth are eligible, and if you can purchase the patches, or if they have to come from Council.

"Grant there has been changes in the training format with NYLT, but back when I went through BA22, and staffed JLT, we were told/told the participants that by compelting the training, they were trained for ANY youth leadership position in the troop. Grant you those of us who went through BA22 wore the BROWNSEA strips instead, but I saw most of the JLT folks wearing them at the post conference meeting."

"So that has changed?"

Actually, nothing has changed, but AFAIK, what you were told was NOT correct.

Again, AFAIK, the youth were expected to go thru their position specific training to earn the right to wear the Trained patch, which was supposed to be the troop leader training done at the troop level, NOT by going thru NYLT, or JLTC or the earlier courses. Some people assumed this, and some people probably told the youth this. But I don't think this was backed by the literature (could be wrong, as I'm not an expert on boy scout youth leader training).

This also, IMO, leads to nonsense like youth who hold no office position, but still wear a lone trained strip by itself.

I've also seen this attitude amoung some scout leaders who assume going thru Wood Badge is some kind of 'universal adult training' and entitled them to wear the trained strip with any position. It doesn't. When I became a venturing leader, I did not wear the trained strip UNTIL I went thru training. I had a few comments from other leaders as I wore my beads, they felt I could go ahead and wear the trained strip. Today I don't wear a trained strip (haven't for years) because the positions I hold don't have a formal training course for them (but if they did, I've taken it. :) )

"you should not be able to simply purchase "Tranied" patches at your Scout Shop."

Sure you can. I've never had a problem of buying trained patches at local scout shops.

Emb,

In refernce to WB, pre WB21C you had to have completed basic training to got to WB, either the CS or BS. Sorry don't know about the Exploring WB as they did away with that prior to the 80s. So most folks already had the trained strip on their non-WB uniforms.

When WB21c came out for everyone is when I think that the trained for any position for adults came about b/c it's now 1 coutrse for all levels. But you are correct you must complete training for each level.

As for the BA22 and JLT, upon reflection you had to have TLT prior to taking those courses, so you were already trained as a PL, SPL, etc. Like I said most folks I knew with BA22 wore the BA strip between the CSP and unit numbers.

As for trained strip w/out POR patch, I hear you loud and clear, and that is a pet peeve of mine.

Scoutnut,

Trained strips are not a restricted item and anyone can buy them, at least when I last worked for national. NOW some council distributorships WILL ask for proof before buying non restricted items. Had that happen to me one time. Luckily I had a copy of my SCOUTNET records on me to buy a known restricted item, and had no problems.

Back to my question for my wife, what color trained strip is she suppose to wear in a venturing uniform: tan and red or tan and green?

Red.

The problem as I see it with youth (and adults) wearing the trained patch without having taken the specific training is because once they've earned it, they think it's permanent. Not true.

Those who've taken NYLT and/or Wood Badge have taken generic leadership training, and it has nothing to do with a specific position. Those who took JLT, JLTC, or whatever the Brown Sea thing was were misinformed if told they were trained for every position.

BDPT00

BD,

FYI Brownsea 22, aka BA22, was the course that Green Bar Bill created in the mid to late 1970s that reemphasized outdoor skills and leadership. Patrols lived, ate, and breathed the Patrol Method the week they were there, with everyone having a shot at being PL or APL. In addition to basic and advanced scout skills, some of which included wilderness survival, backpacking, orienteering, pioneering, etc, we also had classes on leadership skills, communications, counseling, representing the group, etc.

Now the prerequisites were 13 yo, First Class, served as a PL (preferably being the current or prospective SPL), AND went through TLT. So you were already trained when you got there. basically it was WB for youth. Instead of beads, you earned your BA22 strip, and in my old council, a Smokey Bear.

What i found intersting is that ther eis a Training Code for us old fogey who went through BA22 in SCOUTNET: S93

PS thanks for the info; red and tan trained strip.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

I was one of those youth who were told that the National Training made you "Trained" for all the Troop positions (except Den Chief).

Just a quick question, where or are there any Councils who have a specific name for their training? I went to the "Youth National Training" in 1990 (what ever it was called then) in Transatlantic Council, which called it "Golden Falcon". No Smokey Bears, but a "Golden Falcon" neckerchief, slide, stave, ect. TAC still calls their week-long yearly NYLT, "Golden Falcon".

I thought about starting a new thread, but I wasn't sure what forum it would go under!

Thanks!

'96,

I don't know all the details, but I believe some councils created their own JLT courses prior to national creating one, and they were known by various names, White Stag, Golden Acorn, etc. Green Bar Bill

used WB as his model for BA22, esp. since Scouting lost some of its outdoor emphasis in the 70s, which is why there was a heavy emphasis on traditional scouting skills AND leadership skills. He used the BROWNSEA name since that was the first scout camp, emphasizing the youth participation, and Troop 22,just like WB troop 1, because of the 22 participants at that first camp: 20 scouts, BP, and his 9 or 10 y.o. nephew who served as his aide de camp (first CS perhaps?). BA 22 ywa the youth equivlent of WB, kinda like NYLT is the youth equiveltn of WB21C (after all adults WB staffers can get their 3rd and 4th beads now via NYLT). When I staffed JLT a few years later, I was the only adult on staff who had not attended WB as they accepted BA22 in its place.

Almost forgot about the staves. At BA 22 you had to make your own by the closing campfire as you needed it then. At JLT, they were issued out.

Just for clarification (based on my council). JLT was a troop prgram (replaced now by TLT). JLTC was the council program (replaced now by NYLT). Many councils chose to name their course with some sort of local flavor or tradition. Brown Sea sounds identical to JLTC, and I would submit they are one and the same. It originated around 1970 (I'm guessing '67 in my council), and had evolved over the years to stay in line with Wood Badge. The skills mentioned were the same. White Stag takes credit for it, and has chosen not to change. That's up to them.

Regarding beads for NYLT, one of the requirements is dropping the local name (must be called "NYLT" only). I don't happen to like that change, and our council is hesitant to so.

BDPT00

"As for the BA22 and JLT, upon reflection you had to have TLT prior to taking those courses, so you were already trained as a PL, SPL, etc."

Its been a couple of decades since I was involved in Boy Scouting, but that's not what I recall.

When the youth went thru TLT, they were ONLY trained for their particular position, NOT all of them. PLs were trained as PLs, nothing else, etc.

As to course names. We have had National-created youth leader training since the 50s or so.

In the early 70s, it was called TLD (Troop Leader Development). Brownsea Double-Two came out in the late 70s, and was actually one part of a year-long program called "All Out for Scouting". It was a scoutcraft skills course for SPLs, not a leadership development course.

In the late 70s/early 80s or so, TLD & Brownsea Double-2 was merged into the weeklong Troop Leader Training, which later became JLTC, which later became NYLT.

Many councils, I think in the late 70s/80s, decided to give their courses names rather then TLT/JLTC/NYLT, hence the proliferation of names like "Eagle Claw", "Brownsea", "Silver Acorn", etc.

When NYLT was rolled out, these names were allowed, so long as you included "NYLT" as part of it. In the most recent revision, local names were no longer allowed. I think part of the problem is some people have NO IDEA the training being provided was REALLY called "JLTC" or "NYLT" or what had you. Sort of like if councils renamed their Wood Badge courses such that participants never knew they went thru "Wood Badge".