New Cub Scout Uniform?

I can *imagine* a switch to a collared "polo" shirt with embroidered design and no pockets or embellishment. Didn't I see national selling this almost as a step between Class A and Class B? Many parents object to price and sewing that goes along with the traditional uniform. In my vivid imagination I think this would be an alternative uniform...

Yep I will be going back to talk. The topic came b/c she is running low on some CS leader books, and had some training materials out for sale. i just informed her not to order anymore CS leader amterials, nor outdoor training materials, as they are changin the CS program in May as well as outdoor training. The owner then informed me that they will be makign changes to the CS uniform.

Hopefully they will be bringin back one cap and slide for T-W-B levels.

Hopefully they will be bringin back one cap and slide for T-W-B levels.

I was recently at our council shop and they had a new CS hat in stock. It was black with "Cub Scouts" in colorful, decorative text. I was told that this is an official uniform hat that can be used at all levels. I looked on Scoutstuff.org and wasn't able to find it, though.

I may have to turn in my Uniform Police badge for this, but my philosophy is that if BSA or a council produces/issues it, it is a valid uniform item. I know last nite my son wore his camp hat instead of his mesh CS hat b/c it was too cold for the mesh.

Best example of a unit wearing a multitude of hats would be my old troop in a summer camp picture one year. Several of the guys went to Canada the year before and wore the hats they traded. two wore Philmont hats, there were a few summer camp staff hats, and a BSA expedition hat with the First Class emblem on it among the regular BSA hats.

Charlie,

One of the good things about this is that, once an official uniform, always an official uniform. Your Tiger can wear that shirt til he outgrows it or it falls apart, if you/he want to (well - at any rate, through the entire cub scouts program - if it still fits him by the time he's ready for boy scouting, I'd be pretty surprised).

The last time the cub uniform underwent fairly big changes (like moving to separate hats/neckers/slides for each rank), packs in this area mostly took a mixed approach. New scouts typically purchased the new items. Most older scouts kept wearing what they had until it needed replacing anyway.

I would welcome a move toward a standard hat/necker/slide. Those things - esp. the hats and slides - are an unnecessary added cost and do not improve the program. MAYBE keep the separate neckers for easy identification of who is who, but even that is just a "maybe."

Tex,

Yep once official, always offical. We have one TC who still wears the old orange T-shirt. Also when SHMBO becomes a TCDL in a few years, she will be wearing her vintage 1950s Den Mother uniform 'casue she HATES the tan and greens.

I'm not thinking that just because it's available at the scout shop, it's official uniform. Only the inspection sheet info applies. I have boys that wear BSA camp hats with their uniforms, but they get removed for flags. If they have the official hats that go with the uniform, whether it be the campaign hat, garrison cap, baseball style cap or expedition hat, it stays on.

As the old grumpy scoutmaster, the boys use the civilian salute with hand over their heart when they are not in full uniform. Shirt and necker is not enough. When does it become a full uniform? Shirt, necker and pants, belt would be nice and socks optional unless the boy is wearing shorts, then they are required.

Anything less is not a full uniform. A boy that puts his necker on over his camp t-shirt is not in uniform, nor is the boy that wears scout pants with a t-shirt, so then why is a shirt without pants appropriate?

Does such emphasis work? Yep! When OA came to do our elections last year, two boys showed up from OA with no uniforms on. They were asked (by the SPL) to come back at a later time when they would be properly prepared to do an OA presentation to the boys.

When they came back one was in uniform and the other in Indian dress and they were prepared to do a nice job to encourage the boys to pursue OA. It does work.

When boys show up for Blue Gold Banquets for the Cubs and are not in full uniform they are asked to return home and come back prepared.

It would be nice to see Cubs follow the expected practice of BSA with a full uniform. I have yet to see a Cub Scout in our Council properly uniformed, and with the exception of my troop and a few adults, no Boy Scouts either.

Maybe one of the reasons why there is no pride in the Scout uniform anymore is because not many take it seriously. As a youth in the 50's and 60's (the high water mark of Scouting according to many) I wore a full Cub Scout uniform with belt and cap and a full Boy Scout uniform with belt, cap and necker. And if we had a meeting after school we wore the uniform to school that day.

Stosh

"But the fact that it's under the apparel category rather than uniforms still leads me to wonder if it is intended to replace the uniform hat"

I'd so no. It's in apparel, not uniforms. They also have sweatshirts, shorts, t'sand what not. They are no more official uniform than my bath towel.

I totally agree with jblake. Too many people mix this and mix that. Now, in my pack, we don't require anything from the waoist down. Hat, Shirt (tucked in a must) neckerchief, slider, and belt.

We don't require pants as they do not hold up as good as jeans and kids grow soooo fast. You ever have your scout run outside witha brand new pair of pants and come back inside 5 mins later with both knees missing?

Now, I'd say the biggest problem with people screwing up the uniform ( meaning non uniform hat with uniform shirt, but missing neckerchief...) is laziness. No, I'm not saying it's always intentional..buyt it's there.

Maybe you want to just hurry up,or can'tr find it because you didn't make Jr put it in it'sproper place when he took it off last time. Maybe you are just thinking " Well, close enough."

Whatever. It is a uniform, Take pride in it.

Of course, maybe the problem is that there are too many variations available and allowed.

Maybe NATIONAL should come out with an official A, B, C , and D uniform.

Each uniform could have one hat, necker, slider ...etc and that's it! No variations, no options. Either it's correct or not!

Now, having said that, I also se another problem and cannot blame the parents or scouts for it:

I am a new leader this year. So I went to the scout shop and bought a uniform as well as all te appropriate patches. But here's the thing: I bought a new centenial shirt. I had too. I really, really wanted the older shirt (especially since they were on sale for $9.00) , but they did not have my size.

So now here I am at a Den meeting. I am standing right beside the den leader. He is wearing his old style shirt with red/white numerals . His Den Leader patch is right under (meaning butted up against) his pack number patches.

Me on the other hand...I am wearing my new centenial shirt with the officail green/khaki numbers. Mt Assistant Den Leader patch is not butted up under the pack number, but centered on the tech pocket just like it's officially supposed to be.

So what's the problem?

WEll parents and scout see two people wearing two different shirts arranged differeently, and are told that both shirts are correct.

So why is it a big deal if one of there shirts is different? Why is that not correct too? At least in there eyes?

We may be sending a mesage that says:" WE do what we want." They might do the same!

Yep it would be nice if there was 1 uniform for all, kinda like some other scout associations do, but I doubt that BSA will move in that direction b/c A) there are some traditions and B) uniforms are a moneymaker for BSA.

In reference to the orange t-shirt, in the 1980s and early 1990s, the offical TC uniform consisted of an orange t-shirt and orange and white hat. No socks, shorts/pants, belt required. And a orange sweatshirt was optional. While the TC is not in a CURRENT uniform , i.e. in a blue CS uniform with TC stuff , he is in a VINTAGE uniform, and thus uniformed.

Now in reference to the CS pants. I discovered when oldest bought his uniform that the pants still have the adjustable waist, and can go up 2 sizes, i.e. son is a size 6 but has the size 10 switchbacks. Also if you don't cut the legs, you can hem them in a way that you can cut the seams and lengthen them as he grows. mom did that to my pants in the day, and I did it to son's.

Now grant you the quality doesn't seem to be as good as the older, USA made pants. oldest wasn't happy when his pants got a split inthe crotch after 2 wearings, BUT they are guarennteed by national, and when I replaced them, I was able to replace the hemmed legs from the old pair with the unhemmed legs of the new pair. Luckily they were new enough that there was no differences in color due to wear.

And yes I did inform Supply of the problem.