A real Centennial Uniform

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about a 4 pocket tunic with stand-up collar and jodpur pants and leggings? 4 corner necker and campaign hat.   No one will mis-identfy one as a scout...!   Too hot in the summer? That's bo

It's nice to see other people with point of view.   As a reenactor, I'm all for wearing the old style uniform. FYI, here is a good pic of the top: http://www.njscoutmuseum.org/treasures.html ht

The two best places I have found to get a reproduction scout uniform from the teens are:   http://www.schipperfabrik.com/ami_uniforms.html (1912 cotton tunic and breeches for $224.95 -or- http

I realize Im in the minority here, but I think the centennial uniform is great. The supplex shirt is ideal for hiking I hot weather, and combined with the long BSA underwear shirt, is just great for cold weather outings. Im also crazy about the Trousers with zip-off legs. Theyve proven very practical.

How ironic that at the a time when the uniform is ideal for outdoor use, the scout handbook recommends that it be reserved for indoor activities and courts of honor.

The only through back Im in favor of is the old 32" square neckerchief. Our troop voted for them last year, and the boys do look like scouts.

I find it ironic that the book still teaches first using the neckerchief to make a sling and other things and in order to do so you need the full size. But so many troops don't wear a neckerchief at all and if they do, it is rare to see them wearing them out camping, when they would be most likely to need it for first aid.

• 2 months later...

I received my "1912" uniform in the mail from schipperfabrik. They did an awesome job and it fits me perfectly.

The buttons used on the shirts and jackets in the teens and 20s were painted metal. They had loops on the back so you can remove the buttons to make it possible to wash the jacket.

Finding the smaller 5/8" buttons for the pockets was very easy. Finding the 5 larger 3/4" buttons that button up the jacket is more troublesome.

I got lucky and landed my 5 large buttons off of Ebay, but they are very scarce. I got them for $10+ shipping, but I would have gone to $100 if need be because of their rarity.

I got mine from Schipperfabrik as well, but the fit leaves a bit to be desired. The sleeves are too short and the buttons are sewn, not removable. It's too late to make changes so I'll need to make modifications of my own. Not what I was expecting considering all the measurements they had to have before making it to specs, and the price tag that went with it.

Stosh

>>I find it ironic that the book still teaches first using the neckerchief to make a sling and other things and in order to do so you need the full size. But so many troops don't wear a neckerchief at all and if they do, it is rare to see them wearing them out camping, when they would be most likely to need it for first aid.