A real Centennial Uniform

While I like some things about the new uniform, I just feel like its just the ODL redux. Or version 2.

If they had wanted to really have a "Centennial" uniform then why did they not consider going back to the history of scouting

and perhaps consider the old medium khaki-green shirt that the scouts had for well the better part of the century. Using the new materials even.

Kind of like the NFL teams are doing this year with the Retro uniforms.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about a 4 pocket tunic with stand-up collar and jodpur pants and leggings? 4 corner necker and campaign hat.   No one will mis-identfy one as a scout...!   Too hot in the summer? That's bo

It's nice to see other people with point of view.   As a reenactor, I'm all for wearing the old style uniform. FYI, here is a good pic of the top: http://www.njscoutmuseum.org/treasures.html ht

The two best places I have found to get a reproduction scout uniform from the teens are:   http://www.schipperfabrik.com/ami_uniforms.html (1912 cotton tunic and breeches for $224.95 -or- http

How about a 4 pocket tunic with stand-up collar and jodpur pants and leggings? 4 corner necker and campaign hat.

No one will mis-identfy one as a scout...!

Too hot in the summer? That's bogus, I wear wool uniforms at events all summer long and at 59 years of age, I've never gone down from the heat. Yes, in Virginia and Pennsylvania in the summer the heat indexes can reach up well over 100 degrees. 7 2-quart canteens of water in an afternoon? Yep, been there, done that.

If a reproduction centennial uniform were available, would I buy one? Yep! I bid one of my size on E-Bay to $1200 and had to drop out of the bidding. :(

Anyone out there that has a pattern for such a uniform, I'd be interested!

Stosh

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have a good sized picture of the uniform Stosh is talking about? The first one, or near first one with the 4 pockets on the shirt/tunic, whatever? I could see a cottage industry in knock off, not "orginal" but very close

A pattern woudl be even better, but I don't think they exist, then again, I am not infallible

If memory serves, the BSA uniform and US Army uniform were nearly identical, and one reason was that the US Army supplier was also the BSA supplier.

I would go with the reenactor route. harder to get proper insignia though.

Eagle92 wrote: "If memory serves, the BSA uniform and US Army uniform were nearly identical, and one reason was that the US Army supplier was also the BSA supplier."

Interesting. That would mean that the BSA Uniform of that era was made by Hathaway and would have been made in Waterville, Maine (across the river from my home town). They invented the first shirt with the collar attached on it at the request of the US Army during WWI.

It's a shame they didn't/couldn't hold onto the BSA uniform contract all these years later (if they really did have it back then). Maybe they wouldn't have had to close down their US (Maine) operations in 2003 if that had been the case and the Scout Uniform would still be American made.

Hathaway dress shirts were the best shirts I ever owned--and I could only afford their factory seconds/thirds.

http://www.aefsupply.com/uniforms.htm

This is a company that makes the model 1912 Army uniform. According to historical documentation the only difference is the buttons. Military had U.S. Buttons and the Scouts had BSA buttons. Otherwise cut and material were identical. I may order one and wear it to scout expo, I've done Civil War,Indian War and Span-am war reenacting maybe I'll go original Boy Scout reenacting.

Thanks Big Sky, I found that link as well and will be picking up a centennial uniform from them, will order this week.

BSA buttons may be a problem, but I have a few months to work on E-bay for those.

I'm thinking the BSA collar brass and SM collar brass should be enough to cover the basics. I do have the BSA belt from that era already, but there were special gaiters that were different than those of the military and have only seen one pair go through E-bay in the past 4 years and those were the ones that were the original uniform I saw for sale.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for the link.

Stosh

• 2 months later...

Not all boys think the older uniforms are dorky. I have two boys that wear the all green uniform and get a lot of comments, compliments and conversation starters with them. They are both going to national jambo and will be getting a "real" uniform for a backup.

Stosh