Annoyed with new uniform

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still on the fence about the new shirts. I like the roll-up sleeves and the new fabric, but DESPISE the back pleats in the ladies version... so much so that I stitched them down and made darts instead. I'm not shaped like a box, you know!

The updated switchbacks are a definite step up with the unhemmed bottoms. So far I've had no problems with the manufacturing either.

Maybe we should all keep mum with our complaints, before National changes it all again in a effort to "improve".

EL

I have bulging manly arms and I love the roll-up sleeves. Wear the shirt that way about 80% of the time.

Maybe the reason the sleeves roll-up over my forearms is that I have a generally overgrown body, height and weight, that requires a pretty good sized shirt to start with.

oldsm, do you look like Popeye? I think he'd have a lot of trouble with the roll-up sleeves.

Wow... with the exception of the minor inconvenience of the button that doesn't hold patches correctly and the thread that doesn't hold buttons on (both easily fixed problems), I MUCH prefer the new shirt to the old one.

To be honest, I couldn't wait to get that old shirt off after meetings and once we arrived at our camping destinations. The cut and material were too binding and restrictive of motion. The first camping trip I went on with the new shirt I honestly forgot I was wearing it. The fabric is lighter (I have the 100% synthetic) and more flexible. It dries very quickly (important on those hot summer camp days). The cut is not as restrictive for arm/shoulder motion.

And I'm sure that this is a potential flame war, but I like the move to the green tabs and patches over the red. It feels more "field" and less "dress" to me.

Now... don't get me started on the pants. Although I like the look better than the "old" switchbacks, there is something off in the cut of the leg. They rub against the outside of my leg between the thigh and knee and often drive me up a wall.

Just my 2c.

I'm generally pleased with the new uniform, but there is always room for improvement.

Good things:

The fit is greatly improved. The cotton/poly shirt looks miles better than the old version, while the nylon version is miles more comfortable than the old version.

Hey! An actual sewn placket down the front! I didn't like the "french placket" construction in the 70s, and I didn't like it on the De La Renta uniform, either.

I love the cargo pockets on the switchbacks - finally, a good place to put all the stuff I carry around in the field - cell phone, multi-tool, etc. These are pants/shorts that can actually be worn camping.

Bad things:

The sleeve pocket is both only marginally useful, and makes it tough to sew on a POR patch.

That button for temporary patches is under-engineered. It works on patches with "built in" loops, like a Philmont arrowhead, but it won't secure a patch with a sewn-on loop.

Ugly things:

My cotton/poly shirt now indicates that I am a member of the "OY" Scouts of America, and I suspect other letters will be coming off soon. Those pressed-on letters were a really poor choice. I'll probably just pick them all off and hope they release a replacement patch.

I'm not at all convinced that a "dress" uniform is essential for our program, but this one is a real improvement over the old, and I'm pleased to wear it.

I am not a big fan of the new uniform but I was not thrilled with the Oscar uniform either. Go back to the green as it hides the dirt!

That said though the Chinese are not to blame for the quality and workmanship. Its what the workers at the factory were told to do .

I am not of Chinese heritage but the firm I work for does have goods made in China. We spend time with the production firm to meet the quality goals. So far this year the reject rate was less than 1/10th of 1 percent (0.10%). This quality does cost us more and so does the time investment to work with the firm.

About ten years ago our merchandise was made in the Midwest US. The firm went under because the unions representing the workers proposed a contract that would result in a big pay increase (18%) to the workers. The family that owned the firm did not have the desire to sell the customer base on the increase, so they closed the doors.

I'm not sure if anyone has run into this with the new "canvas" pants, but I've managed to wear out two pairs in a year and a half.

The fact that they wore out in under two years irritates me part of the way, but the fact that I still have shorts that I bought at the '01 Jambo that look brand new sets me over the edge.

If I'm paying $40 for a pair of shorts that I wear a consider amount, I shouldn't be able to wear holes where my wallet goes, where my knife goes, and through the pockets.

Zach,

Welcome to the forums. If you can get to a NATIONAL scout shop return them as they have a lifetime guarentee. Local distributorsd may or may not honor the guarentee as national charges them for returns, even if they are defective returns.

So then is the new uniform a "dress" uniform or a "field" uniform? I'm thinking one can't have it both ways.

I'm thinking the older uniforms were designed to be more "dress" and the new uniform is designed as more "field" or "fatigue" in nature taking into account comfort over looks.

???

Stosh

Stosh,

national just came out with a polywool uniform shirt and pants. the "new new" shirt doesn't have the expandable pockets and the "new new" pants are not switchbacks, so it is more dressy, and more expensive. I've been told that it was created at the request of pros and Scouters who wanted a dressier/more professional looking uniform.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest issue with the new shirt is that the length is too short. If you raise your arms up once or twice, the bottom pulls out. The new pants look OKAY as pants, terrible as shorts--they're too darned long. The bottom of your shorts shouldn't hit you -right at- the knee. Also, with so much elastic in the waist, my pants always feel like they're going to fall down. There aren't enough belt loops, and the loops are tight for a Philmont-sized belt.

Not impressed with the new stuff.

Over-engineered, looks baggy on most folks.

Perfect for the cubicle at the council office, or a metal folding chair all day Saturday at a training event, or strolling through the buffet line.

Ebay will continue to be my best source for uniforms...pre 1970, the BSA knew how to make some really tough, functional yet good looking uniforms.