Best Uniform arrangement

Gee, you forgot all the other options. I have one boy with green pants with red piping, green shirt with community strip/state and garrison cap. EVERYONE in the council knows who he is by sight, but not necessarily by name. :) You know, the kid in the green uniform!

About half my boys have the older pants because they are cheap off of E-bay. If it says BSA on it, it's official and acceptable in our troop which is fully uniformed. At last month's uniform inspection I had one of the younger boys pull up the pants legs of his uniform when I came by. I glanced down and asked: "New socks?" "Yep", he said with a big grin.

Stosh

Each year the Council I serve has an adult recognition dinner.

Even before the new uniform came along, there was a group of old timer's who arrived uniforms that were really dated.

I never asked them why? They wore these old time uniforms.

Rightly or wrongly? I kinda thought it was a little over the top!

Yes I know that they can and a uniform is a uniform, but in some ways it seemed to me they were (Are!) Saying "Hey look at me I'm an old timer and I have the uniform to prove it!"

With the arrival of the new uniform there is going to be a transition period. It's going to take a while till we are uniform in uniform.

Until that time, while maybe trying to aim for some sort of uniformity, the best thing is to just let the parent buy what they feel is best for their kid and what they feel is the best deal for them.

Eamonn.

Sometimes I wear the troop necker. Sometimes I wear my WB necker. Sometimes I wear no necker. Sometimes I wear a green tie. Sometimes I wear a tan shirt, sometimes a historic green, sometimes a Venturing green, sometimes I wear a Civil War uniform (Venturing Crew - US History).

My boys have picked up on this and they all wear a full uniform of some sort. Some are with the new tan w/green, some old tan w/red, some with historic green w/garrison cap. Some wear the troop necker, some with their POR necker, etc.

But the common thread amongst all this diversity is a desire to be fully uniformed and it can be a good thing.

I have one boy that has a uniform that his mother has tried extraordinary efforts to clean up after he wore it for a full week of summer camp. It looks terrible, but he wears it as a badge of honor that says, I'm in the fray and I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and pitch in. He also wears a campaign hat as part of his expression of uniform.

One of my patrols carries a 6' walking stick with hook which they have determined is part of their uniform.

We may be all over the map with what we do, but no one can say that we aren't 100% uniformed at all activities. No other troop in the council can make that claim.

What's the best? The best is the pride one has in wearing the BSA uniform in whatever configuration expresses it the best.

Stosh