Merit Badge Sash - Adult Leader Uniform

I have a question about the adult leader uniform. I spent 7 years as a youth member of the BSA and another 4 as an adult leader after my 18th birthday. I did earn my rank of Eagle Scout along with 5 palms and 46 merit badges.

I just rejoined as a Den Leader for my sons pack and was wandering if I could wear my Merit Badge Sash to the Blue and Gold Banquet along with my Eagle Scout medallion?

It might be fun to bring it in and show it to the kids. It doesn't really look right for an adult to wear it as if it's a normal part of the uniform, though.

It's not just because it's "youth earned" - there are lots of things you can earn as a Scout that you can continue to wear as an adult (youth religious knot, medal of heroism, translator strip, jamboree patch, James West knot, Eagle knot (sort of), Arrow of Light knot (sort of), OA flap, etc). I'd say it's more because it seems very related to youth advancement, and it doesn't seem quite adult-like to be doing youth advancement. At any rate, you would not wear a youth rank nor the merit badge sash as an adult.

It was a very long time ago, but I recall that our entire troop was impressed with our Scoutmaster's "poncho". I don't recall him ever wearing it, but every couple of years he would drape it over an easel, at a Court of Honor. It was red wool, and it was his virtual "patch blanket". I don't recall it having his rank badges, or merit badges, but it had all of the patches for events he'd attended going all the way back to his earliest years in Scouting.

Guy

Oak Tree you said: "It's not just because it's "youth earned" - there are lots of things you can earn as a Scout that you can continue to wear as an adult...Eagle knot (sort of), Arrow of Light knot (sort of)..."

I was wondering what you meant by sort of?

Not to push Oak Tree out of the way ... but I interpreted (sort of) as a reference to the fact that you can wear the Eagle and AOL knots as an adult to represent the actual awards you earned as a youth. You can't wear the actual badges, thus the (sort of).

OA sashes must be made of the same type of shrinking material.

Interestingly enough, a neckerchief from my youth fits better than modern ones, though my original OA one does not.

Then there is that old uniform shirt, and my Air Force uniform. Oh well; maybe someone can invent an auto enlarger for such things.

shortridge interpreted my "(sort of)" comment exactly the way I intended it.

The Eagle rank can only be earned as a youth.

The Eagle badge can only be worn by a youth.

The Eagle medal can be worn by a youth or by an adult.

The Eagle knot can only be worn by an adult.

While I'm here, I'll point out a few other knots that a youth can earn that can still be worn by an adult: Venturing Silver, Quartermaster, OA Distinguished Service, Venturing Leadership, Medal of Merit, Medal of Honor.