Moving Away From Sewing CS Patches?

Ok I was visiting as local council shop, and asked about the plastic rank diamond for CS that I am seeing everywhere. I was told that national was doing away with sewing on CS rank patches, and is now encouraging the use of thse plastic diamonds.

Now I know some folks work for supply around here, and others have ins with folks, so I'm asking IS THIS TRUE? Is national now encouraging folks to use the plastic instead of sewing.

When I asked about electives, aka arrowpoints, i had a deer int he headlites look.

No, sewing is still viable...

Sometimes I shake my head at the stuff I hear at the Scout shop.

Those people sometimes are volunteer Scouters with years of experience (sometimes not all up to date), sometimes they are just underpaid clerks, who pick up this stuff up by guessing or parroting the last person who was there.

I have not seen a plastic sleeve for "Arrow Points", but when my son was a Cub the plastic diamond was not very durable. You should be able to find all the patches/pin/etc grouped together for display.

Grab a book off the shelf (or bring one) if you need to check on what it looks like.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

To the best of my knowledge as a National Scout Shop employee, NDC is not phasing out sewing on patches. The diamond holders are being offered as a convenience to our patrons. I see them as no different than the Badge Magic sheets we sell. Some people just won't sew to save their butts. Others don't want the patches washed, they claim that they fade.

I know of one customer that dry cleans her son's uniform after every wearing(wish I had that kind of cash). She freaked when she found out that he'd have to wear it daily at camp for meals without a cleaning in between uses.

Another customer has a Boy Scout and triplet Cubs. She uses the patch holders because she says she just doesn't have time to keep 4 kid uniforms and a leader uniform current if she sews.

We also sell hanges in circles, ovals, squares and rectangles. They are for temporary patches. Maybe my son won't lose his temp patches now when the button loops break :)

It's differet strokes for different folks.

Thanks everyone. I know about the temp insignia hangers, have one for my European Camp Staff Program patch, when i wear it for special occasions. And i am going to get an oval one for my son's CS family campout patch, as i discovered the hangin loops were not added to the order :( BUT since they under ordered estimated the total and getting a 2nd shipment, maybe these will have loops.;)

Anyway, the comment just freaked me out.My though was, what's next a BS rank Patch holder with a spot for the AOL underneath.

HMMMMM maybe I should copyright that while I can.

Anyway i just finished sewin on my son's Bobcat and come to this realization: with CS joing 2 years earlier than I did back inthe day, the pocket's aren't big enough for a full diamond.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

"I know of one customer that dry cleans her son's uniform after every wearing(wish I had that kind of cash). She freaked when she found out that he'd have to wear it daily at camp for meals without a cleaning in between uses. "

I couldn't pass this one up. This poor lady will be in for a real shocker if/when her darling joins boy scouts. I know "clean" is in the law and all, but it doesn't seem to be the most central point for most boys.

Hey - Eagle92 - Pssst - you're right about the diamond thing - that's why the Webelos badge is available as an oval now a days. The diamond = bobcat, tiger, wolf, bear.

Dry cleaning?? Really? Goodness...

The only patch that I've ever had a bad experience with was my original OA lodge flap. It was sewn on, and within a year it had shrunk and shriveled around the edges - looked like it was withered. But I got a new flap when I converted to Brotherhood, so it worked out OK. No problem with the second one.