More uniform Changes?

I just got this from Scoutstuff.org's Facebook page.

"The Boy Scout shoulder loops have changed to Forest Green. No other loop colors have changed. Cub Scout members, which Webelos still belong, wear blue loops, Boy Scout members wear green loops and Venturing members wear teal loops. Olive green loops are the old Boy Scout loops and were changed to Forest Green in August 2008 with the introduction of the Centennial Uniform."

Can anyone confirm that Venturers now wear teal? When i go to Scoutstuff.org, i notice that they only sell 3 types of loops; Blaze, Blue, and Green. Can't tell if it's the kelly green ( Venturing) or the OD green on my monitor.

AFAIK, the color for Venturing has not changed.

They are probably now calling it 'teal' instead of spruce. I always called it forest green, but guess I can't use that term...

Reminds me of when I look in some clothes catalogs and can't figure out what colors they are refering to. Taup? What the hell's taup? Moss?

Also note this comment:

"Olive green loops are the old Boy Scout loops and were changed to Forest Green in August 2008 with the introduction of the Centennial Uniform."

Uh, the old Boy Scout loops were red. The NEW loops are forest green, which many people (including me) would call olive green. One would think the boy scout loops went from olive green to forest green in August 08.

"Also I juts got another message saying that all loops are the same and the previous message had been in error."

Saw that.

They say the Venturing loops are "emerald green". Ok. But no one has EVER called them that. They were always green loops or spruce green loops (cause we had a spruce green shirt).

And they are "centennial boy scout loops".

They still have silver and gold loops, but they aren't listed on the scoutstuff catalog.

HI all,

Blue loops are for all Cub related members - Webelos in tan uniform, leaders and roundtable staff.

Forest green loops ae for all Boy Scout related memebers. Theses replaced the red loops in August 2008.

Kelly/emerald/bright green loops are for Venturing related members.

Orange/blaze loops are for Varsity Scouting related members.

Silver loops are for all members that serve in Distict and Council related positions and for use when on "duty" in that capacity. A Den leader that is also a UC would not wear silver to a Cub event. Not a restricted item (at least not in my store)

Gold is for National employees and national commitee members to wear while serving in that capacity. These are resticted sale items.

Fellow Scouters,

Scoutstuff.org is on facebook.com? posting erroneous information.

Oh good grief.

What's next? We'll be signing off handbook requirements in twitter.com and advancement reports on myspace?

Good thing the new uniform has that pocket for their ipod/cellphone. lol

Now regarding the difference between Boy Scout Forest Green and Venturing Kelly Green. I concur, they have been two different colors for the past year.

But if local council stores follow suit with Scoutstuff.org, we may just have one choice of green loops for both programs in the near future.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)

Trainerlady,

I thought RT staff, being part of the commissioner service wear silver?

With all the uniform confusion I think i'll stick with what I have.

or I may follow a good friend of mine who is a Scout history nut, and wear vintage uniforms. My wife already has a vintage 1950s den mother uniform. I really like the vintage 1985 uniform my friend wore consisting of Green shirt with SCOUTS, BSA (not Exploring BSA), red loops, and ASM insignia. Looked spiff!

"I thought RT staff, being part of the commissioner service wear silver?"

they do.

Sounds to me like some are confused as to who gets to wear silver. Too often I see people who are 'on the training team' wear silver. Sorry, no. If you hold a formal position in the district or council AND have a uniform where you wear that office patch (and no unit number) you wear silver. If you happen to hold a unit position, don't mix loops and office patches. Either have 2 uniforms for the different positions or use velcro to swap out patches. So if you're doing your district/council job, wear that uniform, if unit, wear that uniform.

"I really like the vintage 1985 uniform my friend wore consisting of Green shirt with SCOUTS, BSA (not Exploring BSA), red loops, and ASM insignia. Looked spiff!"

But totally wrong. red loops are never worn on the green uniform. And if you aren't in Venturing you don't wear it. We have a problem with Venture Patrols thinking they can do this.

"They got rid of the red Boy Scout loops?"

Yup. They went away last August, replaced with olive green or forest green. So be it. No big deal. Don't understand why anyone would be upset. Red is the color for senior scouts (like Venturing), not boy scouts. Their color was green (check out the color backings for service stars...). This is why the red jack shirt was for Explorers and Boy Scouts got a green jack shirt.

EMB,

The guy was wearing a VINTAGE uniform, circa 1985. At that time Scouts could wear the green shirt, SCOUTS BSA strip (the shirt came with two strips unattached, one saying Exploring BSA and the other SCOUTS BSA) and was authorized for older scouts and leaders in troops with the red loops. teh guy is our resident historian and always wears vintage uniforms. Rumor is he trying to get a vintage 1910s uniform, or reproduction, for the council's regional jamboree.

You are correct that current uniform regs state that that is not an option with the current Venturing Shirt. I put part of the blame for the problem on national for naming a program after a very similar one in use at the time of creation which appropriated the unit designation. We had a very nice discussion with the national director of Venturing on the problems we could see from calling the splinter group Venturing and the units Crews when Venture Crews already existed when they replaced the Leadership Corps program in the 1990s.

But aslo part of the probloem is people don't follow regs.

But I admit those red loops look alot better than the "emerald" ones on the uniform. Wish they would change those loops to maroon though, which was one of the proposed venturing colors when it came out. heck I got venturing logos in Maroon and Gold on software national gave me back in the day me.