Sources for cheaper uniform pants?

I've seen many comments regarding the finding of cheaper pants that are near-copies of the official pants, in particular the old/new switchbacks...can anyone provide me with a reliable source? Whenever I try places like Walmart I can't find anything equivalent. Our troop is attempting a stricter uniform policy and we're considering 'close-enough' pants rather than official uniform pants, if they're visually the same AND cheaper.

Of course, if there isn't a reliable source I can refer parents to of cheaper pants, then perhaps that's an argument in favor of the official ones....I can ask to be shown the equivalent cheaper ones!

One parent argued against uniform-pants-required because the son

would be coming direct from soccer, and would of course be

wearing the soccer uniform...I received no logical answer for

why they couldn't wear the scout uniform to soccer instead, or

why it's ok for soccer to require the uniform (or else what, no

play?) but not scouts.....

So, please tell me, if you know, where to find cheaper-but-same

uniform pants, and if not, that's useful info as well....

If you want cheaper, you're going to get much poorer quality.

Most reputable outdoor outfitters sell them for $45-65. I googled "zip-off pants" and found REI hawking them for $55, Cabela's $45, L.L. Bean $60, Eastern Mountain Sports $49 and North Face $65. (I didn't check if the colors matched.)

The Centennial Switchbacks sell for $49.99. Not too shabby.

Welcome to the boards. Must concur 9/10 you buy cheaper, you get inferior product. HOWEVER, my troop also allowed similar pants, and the ones used were military grade pants, pre-BDUs if memory serves. Good quality, very similar in color, and about 2/3 the cost.

As fo rthe parent, tell them to have their son carry the uniform inthe car and htey can a) change in the car, B) change in a bathroom at the field or C)Change in the bathroom at the meeting. been there, done that, adn my troop met on FRIDAYS! Heck I remember moving a ECOH to saturday, just happened to be my ring dance nite, So I go from ring dacne ceremony in coat and tie with my date, to ECOH changing into full uniform once I go there, to changin back into coat and tie fo rthe ring dacne once the ECOH was done.

No Sympathy.

from11to46,

I'm not sure what qualifies as "visually the same". If you mean green, there are cheaper green pants out there. If you mean green and have cargo pockets there are cheaper pants out there. If you mean BSA forest green, zip-off leg, cargo pocket, belt loops sized to the BSA belt, etc. there is no cheaper pant available.

Of course, I'm also intriqued by the attempt to enforcce uniform policy and simultaneously LOOK for a way out of wearing the correct uniform. I have always wondered why we, parents and Scouters, think its too much to expect Scouts to wear a complete and proper uniform but will drop money without hesitation for the uniform for football, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc. Do those programs have more value than Scouting?

I understand the unifrom is expensive. If cost is preventing a family from full uniforming, maybe the Troop can get together to find a solution. Our Council allowed campership money to be used for uniforms if the Troop also pitched in, our Troop maintained a "veteran" closet of used uniforms, we also paid for and provided at sign-up all patches, shoulder loops to new Scouts.

Now uniforms are not REQUIRED as many here are sure to point out. It is a METHOD of the program, not the program. I guess parents and leaders need to decide which METHODS they are going to use and which ones they aren't. My suggestion is 100% uniforming is the standard to shoot for, leaders (adult and Scout) set the example here, but no Scout should be left out of the program because of the uniform.

"Our troop is attempting a stricter uniform policy and we're considering 'close-enough' pants rather than official uniform pants"

The policy should be "official BSA uniform", as the unit is not authorized to allow deviations from the uniform. You're either "in uniform" or not. If not, then it really doesn't matter what they wear. Why stop with the pants? How about a "close-enough" shirt, too? Not sure when all this started...when I was a kid, we all wore the complete uniform...and our parents were not as well off as most parents today with two incomes. One of my pet peeves is at summer camp when the "official uniform" (I almost slipped and said "Class A's"!!) is required and whole troops show up with scout shirts, neckers, and everyone in wildly colored shorts. Looks ridiculous. Like was stated, if money is really an issue, then address the issue with a solution like fundraisers or a uniform exchange.

Thanks for the replies....I'll supply a little more background.

Personally I'm in favor of a complete official uniform, socks

and all, and I always wear my complete one to set an example.

So far it hasn't worked, as most of the adults and older scouts wear only a shirt, if even that much. Some adults have tried to

encourage better uniforming, but usually just in terms of a

tucked-in shirt, which is about all they'll get when they're

in jeans themselves.

So, during discussions of trying to do better, we heard the

typical complaint of cost. I've seen many times comments of

equivalent pants for cheaper, but never found them myself, so

perhaps I'm just looking for a lack of a source, in order to

defeat that option...

I also heard that the kids won't wear them to anything but

meetings, so that makes them too expensive....which I also

don't buy, especially compared to sports uniforms. Besides,

despite their sometimes unusual cut/fit, the older switchbacks

can be quite useful....either pants or shorts, lightweight,

much better than cotton in winter, easy to insulate underneath.

They will melt too easily with heat or sparks, though. Overall

not a bad deal, though, in my opinion. And the scouts'

opinions do vary as well, because I know of at least two kids

who regularly wear them to school...because they're not

uniform enough that they'll pass as regular pants!

I've already offered to begin a uniform bank, and would like

to expand that to other equipment as well, outgrown/replaced

packs and sleeping bags, for instance. I've been stockpiling

older used gear for that purpose, and am scrounging for

uniforms wherever I can find them...in the past I've handed

out our own outgrown stuff more than once. While my early

70s backpack may not be state of the art, it'll work better for a scout than a black plastic bag, which I've seen in use.

I'm considering

running this on a minimal-donation basis....say sell each

item for $5, and also PAY $5 for a donation into the bank,

thinking that this may encourage others to help scrounge

supplies for the bank.

As other discussions have covered, the trick is to figure

out how to encourage the boys to want to wear the correct

uniform...perhaps we should forbid it! I have seen some

success with a scout wearing the expedition hat....not the

traditional flat brim, but the more crushable one....which

I just now can't find on the scoutstuff site anymore....

figures.....because other newly joined scouts were impressed

with the look, especially with official shorts and long socks

(also not available any more) and a scout stave, and were

asking where to get one, and how much....while the look isn't

as traditional as the campaign hat, it's still (or was) an

official hat, with logo inside, and is much more adaptable to

actual outdoor use, like rain, crushing while packing, etc.

I wonder if it's gone for good now....

There's the traditional advice that if a boy wants the uniform

and earns it himself he'll value it more and take better care

of it, which another argument I've made, but this gets

scoffed at as the uniform being too expensive for a boy to earn.

This is usually with respect to a boy carrying both a phone,

a video game, and wearing $50 sneakers.

• 4 weeks later...

What is your role in the troop? Scoutmaster? If not, unless you are the committee chairman or chartered organization rep, you're pushing a string up hill.

If you are the SM, this is a program element and you are the chief program officer for the troop. Consequently, you simply need to make it an expectation that the Scouts will be in appropriate uniform. So what the heck does that mean? Well to begin with, your next Scoutmaster's Minute needs to be on the purpose and importance of uniforming. End with the statement, "it is my expectation that the Scouts and leaders in this troop wear the proper uniform at all troop events." And leave it there. No 12 point policy, no consequences, no transition period, no committee vote -- just a statement of what you expect from the scouts in the troop.

From there it is a matter of slow, consistent pressure. Start with your junior leaders. Part of the job description for every position of responsibility in the troop is to properly the uniform. First, you need to point that out at the next PLC. Then, when your SPL shows up for a troop meeting in Hawaiian jams, ask him how he is fulling that part of the job? What sort of example is he setting for the troop? Don't ream him out, just ask the question and walk away.

Ask you soccer player what would happen if the times for soccer and scouts were reversed, what would his soccer coach say about him wearing his Scout uniform to the game? Again, ask the question and leave it hanging.

Next time you're asked for a Scoutmaster's Conference, tell the Scout you "expect" him to be in full uniform, including pants. If the boy shows up in full uniform, slather on the praise. If not, ask him how he thinks his lack of uniforming reflects on his Scout Spirit? Those conferences are a great time to reinforce the importance of unforming. You've got a captive audience to make your pitch.

Include positive reinforcement. I'll occasionally show up for meetings with a box of ice cream sandwiches. Everyone in full uniform gets one. Next time there's a line for something, let the guys in full uniform go first.

When you're at district events or summer camp, take time to comment on how other troops look. Nothing like a good -- or bad -- example to make a point. This summer one of the troops had the morning flag detail. Two of the guys wore bathing suits. One had flip-flops. The third wore pajama bottoms -- God as my witness, pajama bottoms! The cool thing for me was that I never had to say a word. The guys in our troop were APPALLED at the uniforming. (I love it when a plan comes together.)

BE SURE to start the new Webelos crossovers off on the right foot. When you meet with them and their parents, tell them your expectation is that they will be in full uniform. By the time they figure it out, the will have established good habits.

It will take time. Some guys will just refuse and you basically have to wait them out. Sooner or later they will either get with the program, age out or quit. Eventually, you will reach critical mass and the guys in the jeans will be in the minority. Then you have it on the run.

Just do it! Plant the flag on top of the hill and you will be surprise at how many people will follow you up.