Attaching loops to patches

As I like to rotate temporary patches fairly often, I don't particularly fancy sewing them on. At the same time, I have some patches that don't fit the conventional size or design to slide into a plastic patch protector. So I'm putting this out there... Does anyone have any advice on how to best attach a loop to the back of a patch to dangle from the pocket - a certain type of glue, type of loop material, etc.?

Out here many of the temp patches are made with loops, less than a cent to have it added when they are made.

I have used the little cloth tape, I can't remmeber name(binding tape?). it is wide enough to run a few stiches to attach a loop.

But encourge your camporree or camp directors to get the loop done with the production of the patch.

How about an old-fashioned method of attaching two pieces of cloth together temporarily? Something that is still available? Something that is called a "Safety Pin"? You know them, they are (or were) used to hold diapers together.

That way it won't matter if you have the old shirt or the new one. You can still attach the temp. patch to the pocket without a chance of it easily falling off.

Use a big needle. Quadruple a heavy thread thru the needle eye. Whip stitch sew two patches back to back. Include a loose loop of thread, about one inch long, for button hanging in your stitching, make sure loop thread is twisted together. Hang on pocket button, turn over for other patch. Twofer.

"The new shirts do not have buttons, just Velcro."

Not so. The right pocket flap does have a button, for the purpose of hanging patches from it. However, without a button hole to button it on, you run the risk of loosing the patch.

And if you get the polywood version of the new shirt, there is no velcro, just buttons on both flaps.

As I scout we used scraps of leather, fake or actual.

A vertical slot stays on the button well, and you just

stitch the tab to the top of the patch. For the thrifty,

old purses, wallets, or other leather goods can serve as

donors for many scraps. Tooling-grade leather is not needed.

"Parachute cord--of course! Now getting small quantities in colors, that is the next challenge...."

Don't know about parachute cord, but if just plain cord is acceptable then visit your local WalMart. They carry cord in the sewing section for about a buck.

For a better selection of colors, check out your local fabric store. My personal choice. They will sell cord in smaller quantities and have a much broader selection of colors. Note that the fabric store may sometimes call the stuff "rattail" cord.

"- a certain type of glue,"

They sell fabric glue which should work nicely. I use a hot glue gun, since that is what I already had. My guess is that plain ole Elmer's would also work.

I haven't tried it, but I've often wondered if rubber cement would work. The idea being to remove the cord after wearing the patch, such that the patch can be returned to a patch collection display.

Second method:

Use "GOOP", stick anything together adhesive.

Two patches, don't even have to be the same size/shape.

Take a small length of cord, fray out the ends. Small amount of GOOP on the back of one patch, spread it around evenly. Lay the frayed ends into the GOOP to make an appropriate loop (make sure it will hang right side up!). Mash the second patch onto the first (back to back, natch). Squoosh the two patches together, clean up any ooze carefully. Place patch sandwich between two pieces of wax paper, put heavy book on top and leave for about an hour.

Alcohol will clean GOOP off fingers.

Personally, I sew everything but my POR badge (where I use the evil velcro). But I don't change temp insignia very often.

Around here, lots of folks swear by that Badge Magic stuff:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&c3=UN_MISC&c4=&lv=3&item=501BMK&nimg=50103&us7=Y

But I haven't tried it. Maybe that's an option instead of gluing on a loop?