What patch(s) means the most to you?

1) Son #1 Eagle (knot now)

2) Son #2 Eagle (badge)

3) Me and My Guy (earned by me!. I wear it as a temporary patch to tweak the Uniform Police and certain BSA folks. It is a legitimate patch I earned from the Girl Scouts. They held an event where the girls have an outing with "their guy" - the girls scouts are much to politically correct to imply that it should be the girls father :) - and my daughter and I had a great time fishing all day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Eagle Badge for many of the above reasons said

2) Northern Tier badge (My standard temporary patch. 4 treks, number 5 coming when my son is ready for High Adventure)

3) Polar Bear Camping. As a service project we were cutting Christmas Trees. For the Polar Bear badge it cannot rise above freezing. We did this under a burn ban, so no fires and pretty windy conditions.

Hon Mention: Original OA flap. Manu Lodge, just a really cool patch. It might find its way onto a uniform shirt again.(This message has been edited by bedgraynexl)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Eagle Knot- self explanatory

2. Explorer GOLD Award Knot- discontinued award now, but loved my Post and the time I had with that. Love that I earned the award shortly before it was discontinued.

3. 1994 NOAC Activity patch with participation pin- wasn't sure what to expect, hadn't been too involved with OA prior to the trip. This trip was awesome! Became very close with some other guys in my lodge and the trip was essentially a spring board for my activity with the lodge, serving as Vice Chief twice, and on the merger committee when our lodge merged, and keeping my Vigil. All started with that 1994 NOAC. Still keep in touch with the adult leaders we had in the lodge.

Honorable Mentions:

Philmont Arrowhead (particularly cool, since my dad went on the trek as well)

First lodge flap (Kecoughtan 463, now merged)

In 1981 our Cub Scout Pack was started. I was the Webelos leader. We had one Webelos meeting and then went camping to the Boy Scouts Fall Camporee. [Webelos was a one year program in thoes days, and Webelos were encourage to camp at the Camporees.)

We took 12 Webelos and 11 adults. We found out how unorganized the Boy Scouts were. It snow that weekend. Everyone had a good time!

They gave everyone a patch for the Camporee. I put that patch on my right pocket and it is still there 28 years later.

Wow! This is an awesome thread w/ some awesome stories! Since I didn't earn my Eagle, the patches that mean the most to me are as follows:

1.Philmont Arrowhead patch - This was from 1988, during Philmont's 50th Anniversary celebration and had the gold border w/ the "50" on the image of the Tooth. My original has gone missing, but the powers that be at Philmont are graciously replacing it. It won't be quite the same, but still...

2. My 1989 "Miner '89er" Tonkawan District Fall Camporee patch. At the tender ages of 17 and 15(me), another member of my troop and I planned and organized this camporee.

3. My 1993 National Jamboree patch. I wear this again now that I am a Tiger den leader.

4. My Aina Topa Hutsi 60 Lodge flap. Nothing major here, it just felt good to be inducted. And I look forward to becoming a member of Manitous 88.

5. My AOL knot. It's something I can show the kids in my den and tell them that they too can get one someday.

6. This is last but not least - My son's Bobcat badge when he receives it next month. He loves being a Cub. And sometimes when I tuck him in at night, he tells me, "Dad, you're the best Den leader ever." If he only knew how frazzled I am from week to week. lol

Eagle: For the reasons others have stated eliquently.

#2--My 2005 Chief Scout Executive Patch from the National Jamboree. I was told they only

distributed 200 of them. I was one of the lucky ones. I wear it as a temporary patch on my

District Committee Uniform.

#3--Distinquished Commissioner/District Award of Merit. (A tie)

My favorite patch is the National Camping School Patch for Cub Scout Resident Camp Director. I was director for five years and those were without a doubt the best times I've had in Scouting.

I have a lot of square knots, but my favorites are Dist. Award of Merit, SM Award of Merit and Silver Beaver because those are given by nomination and the vote of others.

Favorites for my sons:

Though not a patch, older son values his Den Chief Service Award above any other award he has received. Next would be his Vigil Honor, because it took three tries before he was even elected into the OA. Third is his Eagle Scout patch (now knot).

Younger son values his Eagle patch, BSA lifeguard, and SPL patch. He tried four times running for SPL. In his case, fourth time was the charm.

My 1st is definately my Eagle -- took till I was 17 yrs & 360 days, but I earned it.

2nd -- my Zit Kala Sha OA pocket flap -- as many of you have noted, the honor that comes with just being tapped out says it all.

3rd -- the one I now wear on my left sleeve -- den leader - -I've come 3/4 circle through scouting. I went all the way from cub through Eagle, to den leader for my son & his buddies.

4th -- though not my achievement, I am extremely proud of this -- my Grandfather, Al Scherer, dedicated his life to scouting after WWII. He served for over 50 yrs as scoutmaster of Troop 190. In that time he earned the Silver Beaver, & lead over 100 boys to thier Eagle.

I have few patches after a slim career as a youth and first year as a volunteer.

I think of my parents, especially my late father, when I see my purple knot for religious award as a youth. I also remember how I saw an insignia guide in 1982 explaining knots on adults and I thought, "there's one I could wear..." never imagining myself as an adult in scouting.

• 1 month later...

Aside from my Eagle Scout award, I'd say the embroidered patch on my neckerchief (as a youth). A new scout was presented with a plain neckerchief, but traded it in for one with the embroidered patch as he earned Tenderfoot.

A trail patch from the Ammaquonsippi Trail along the Spoon River in Illinois, the trail was shut down some years ago.

SPL badge of office.

• 2 months later...

The patch I treasure the most has nothing to do with me. In 1974 I attended NEI at the old Schiff Scout Reservation in Mendham, New Jersey. Just being there where George Washington and his troops camped and traveled. Where Bill Hillcourt wrote the early Scout Handbooks. Where Baden-Powell stayed when he came to America. Where the original Norman Rockwell paintings hung in the hall. Where generations of National Camping School graduates brought the outside to Scouting. Where BSA thought the almighty doller was worth more than it's traditions. The SCHIFF SCOUT RESERVATION patch.