No one likes the new uniform

Gunny, somebody good with a sewing machine could add zippers to the Gen2 Switchbacks, and as a mod not easily seen nobody will notice till you want them to. I'm looking at a sepperating zipper long enough so that the pant leg will be split and won't have to be pulled over dirty boots.

Brite idea! Supply should spec that the legs have a tag for your name so getting switched with somebody else less likely.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"1) Smokes pocket on the left sleeve. IF you really needed a smokes pocket, and you don't, at least put it on the right sleeve where a POR emblem doesn't go on top of it."

Its not a 'smokes pocket'. So let's not call it that. If you think the pocket is dumb, that's one thing.

Actually, I wonder if they intentionaly put it there to ensure people put the POR emblem in the right location. Too many times I've seen people doing it wrong on the left sleeve, from too much space between the patches, to pushing the POR right up against the CSP.

"3) BUTTONS on the front pockets, esp. since the current temp patch button is worthless."

Agree. The temp patch button, without buttoning it, will mean people will loose temp patches that are hanging. Sewing on the patch is not a answer. Being able to easily swap out patches is a good thing. And no button on the left pocket makes it impossible to wear a powder horn award there, which is where it belongs.

"4) Needs a BSA strip or direct embroider. the stickers do come off.

5) Ditto the Flag, either direct embroider or patch it."

Agree. Dispite the claims of how the BSA strip is 'real durable', have already seen examples where letters are coming off.

And I really wish the BSA would have the shirts come with the World Crest already sewn in the right location. That would really help ensure people wear it correctly. If some have to move it, they can do so.

"6) and this one is more instruction oriented than uniform apparel, GIVE CLEAR CONCISE ISNTRUCTIONS, I.E. ISSUE AN INSIGNIA GUIDE AND/OR INSPECTION SHEET TELLING US WHAT COLOR PATCHES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WORN!"

Again, no argument there. The whole confusion as to what unit numbers/trained strips should be worn by CS leaders was a whole mess. Not helped by the claim of red/tan numbers. Now I'm seeing Venturing people incorrectly using the green/tan numbers. Sigh. There was a reason we went to red/white for everyone back in the 50s.

Emb,

Everyone in my neck of the woods call it the "smokes pocket." The local distibutor was shocked about it, thinking the BSA was trying to get scouts onto a bad habit. When I told her it was for ipods and showed her the hole for the earphones, she freaked out.

I also have seen Venturers wearing the tan and green numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

When I started in Scouts, we were transitioning from the OD green shirts to the tan (de la Renta) shirts. I started in an OD green shirt, as my mom bought it second hand. Tag shows 65% polyester and 35% cotton (yes, I still have it). Th etan shirt is very comfortable in my opinion. I usually wear it with a synthetice shirt underneath, so do not have the sweat issues. I have looked at the new shirt, but will continue with the old until it wears out. I thought the same thing about the pocket on the sleeve; a "smokes" pocket, if you will. I thought that pocket was rather unnecessary. Also the bellows style really doesn't work (for me at least) on a shirt. The lack of color is another issue with the new shirt; I really like the red numbers and epaulets for the scouts. I'm not sure if the different colored epaulettes are being kept for the different scout orgs; if not, I think that's unfortunate. It was/is a quick way to tell who belongs to what group. I do like the new pants and baseball style cap. I have even mixed them with my older shirt. I can deal with change, but I agree with one poster that there should have been some research done in the field for the design of a new shirt.

I like the new one especially the new material. We live in florida where we joke that we have two seasons, summer and february. the heat and humidity makes the new material ideal. it also dries very quickly. I do however that the material doesnt look as neat. you can pull it out of the dryer, throw it on and within 5 minutes it looks like you have been wearing all weekend. its a more rugged look than the old one. I also like the muted color scheme and the baseball hat.

however i do know that nearly every woman i have spoken to hates the chest pockets. My only realy complaint is the fit of the shirt sleeves. Im an average size guy about 190. Not huge muscled arms but the long sleeves have that loop thing that is supposed to keep them roled up. I can get the sleeves rolled up that far without them being way to tight. Could have been cut a little looser in the sleever. That my only real complaint. all in all it seems a little more functional as a working uniform and not just a "show" uniform. if that makes sense.

We just replaced our Life Scout's uniform with the new "centennial". He likes the socks, belt, belt buckle, darker green pants, and the toned down buttons. He chose the cotton blendover the supplex because it "looks better". He still doesn't like the hat. Definitely need to add a buttonhole on the pocket to save the temp patches.

Got my son the new uniform, and he loves it. He never liked the bright red accents on the old uniform. New material is great. Shirt looks really good and functional, not like the old one that looks (and is) more of a formal wear shirt.

++ for the new uniform from a scout. ++ from a scouter.

BTW, also love the new green accented patches. Yeah no more red!

"green shoulder loops (what's wrong with red)"

My understanding is that National realized that the red loops stood out too much. So the trend of going away from the colorful patches continues. (like when they changed the rank & office patches back in 1989.)

"lack of instruction on what patches to wear and where to wear them"

Uh, AFAIK information was available. Maybe not as widely distributed as it should, but even before the uniforms came out I was aware of where the trained strip was to be placed, etc. National could have done a better job, but to claim it wasn't there isn't correct. And certainly they could have handled the confusion about the unit numbers a LOT better...

"The lack of color is another issue with the new shirt; I really like the red numbers and epaulets for the scouts. I'm not sure if the different colored epaulettes are being kept for the different scout orgs;"

FYI- when one speaks of "scout orgs", that refers to the BSA, Scouts Canada, the British Scout Association, etc. I think you mean the different PROGRAMS (Cub scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturing, etc).

The only thing that changed was that the red loops used by Boy Scouts was replaced with olive green (or forest green as they call them) loops. Blue, orange, and spruce green are still used by those programs, along with silver and gold.

I was at Roundtable last night and saw a scouter with the new shirt. He had the patches sewn on the left sleeve in the old order; CSP, troop numerals, POR and trained patch. The POR patch effectively eliminated the usefulness of the pocket. Guess he doesn't smoke or listen to itunes. Personally, I didn't care how he did it. I wear my patches the way my wife sews them on and I'm smart enough not to complain about it.

Emb,

I have to respectfully disagree withthe comment that National published info. Or to be more specific the constant changing of information, specifically CS and CS leaders. One example is the numbers. First it was tan and green, then tan and red (for about 2 weeks in April) and now red and white. AND some publciations still have wrong info, i.e. the new catalog on pg.14 with the Webelos and green numbers.

Change is sometimes hard, especially a $150 change.

My family likes the new socks, belt and supplex shirt. Need the temp patch buttonhole back! Right now we use pins to hold them. The matching color buttons are a nice change.

However, the IPOD pocket is a pain, the seamstress we use removed the pocket to sew the POR patch, this increased the sewing costs.

We never liked any of the old scout pants, the cotton ones had no give to them and the 1st generation switchbacks would pill and fade in the washer.

We still don't like the new pants, going to continue to wear Columbia fishing pants that resemble the color but are a whole lot better in fit and finish.

The BSA needs to come out with an official boonie hat for the uniform.

The new centennial necker is great!