No one likes the new uniform

I am a almost a life scout, in line to become the youngest eagle scout from my troop. I do not like the new uniform. I work with a lot of older youth in the council with NYLT staff and almost none of them like the new uniform. I, personally refuse to wear the new uniform. I love the old uniform and will not wear anything else. I want some other opinions on this. Pretty much my whole council does not like the new uniform much and at summer camp, you see the whole staff wearing the old uniform. That is just my opinion.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a few months before the new uniform came out my mom took me to the scout shop to buy me a new scout shirt, they didnt tell me a new one was coming. so i cant afford a new one, i might buy one otherwise just because. when i turn 18 this may ill ask for one for my bday so i can have one as an adult....maybe.

aside from the front pockets and the length i have no real big complaint with the new uniform. although ill miss the red parts of the odlr uniform. when i go a OA event i wear my red ribons because it looks sharp with the sash...green does not. i like some parts and i hate other parts but all in all i do like the ODLR one the best. and i miss the old socks :(

If you try it on, you might be surprised how much more comfortable the cut is and how functional the pockets are. I have both and even though I wear the old for many things, the centennial uniform wins hands down in my opinion.

Interesting the different perspectives.

Though Wormy (Scout) (welcome to the forum, BTW) doesn't tell us why he dislikes the uniform, from the visceral reaction evident in his post, it seems that it's likely that the looks of the uniform is a big part of the reason for the dislike. Count this as one vote against.

From SR540Beaver (Scouter) the perspective is comfort and functionality makes the uniform a winner. Count this as one vote for.

From Nick (Scout), a dislike of the pockets and length, and a preference for the old color scheme, yet a reluctant willingness to try the new uniform. Because of the stated perceived flaws and the reluctance expressed, I'm calling this a vote against.

So far we're at 2 votes against - both by the youth, and 1 vote for - by an adult.

Now granted this is a VERY small sample, but it makes me wonder if the folks who put the new uniform together bothered to "test market" it with the folks we serve? We've had threads on why Scouts don't like to wear the uniforms - Seems to me we're getting a hint of the answer here.

I've seen alot of comments about the new uniform (pro and con), but not much mention of the different material choices.

When I got my Centennial uniform, there's no way I wanted the nylon supplex one. It looked baggy and not "neat" on the few people that I had seen wear it.

The other cotten blend shirt (much like the ODL shirt) has no real downsides as I see it. I've gone camping in it and would give it a thumbs up.

So, does that mean I'm neutral on the new uniform since I like one style and not the other? :-)

I'll let the vote tabulator figure that one out.

My Life Scout likes the new zip offs. The shirt is OK.

I hate the new pants because they just look bad on ladies who don't have a very slender build. I don't like the old ones either, which is why I wear the skirt. As for the shirt, I was too cheap to buy one while they had the BOGO sale going on.

Count me as a vote for, true the suplex in't a nice office shirt but it's cool in hot weather, important when you don't want Scouts having to treat you for heat stroke. I do wish they would offer a shirt in all natural fibers though. The new belt rocks and the Centennial canvas pants work well, still using FirstGen Switchbacks for hot weather. Coulda been much worse, like a polo shirt with velcro strips for easy patch swappin and board shorts.

oh well yeah the shirt is okay for me but more often than not ill say i dont like it more than the ODLR one. the socks......i miss the red stripe i really do, as weird as it sounds i liked the knee high socks with a 4 inch red band on top...i dont know why i just do.

the new pants ROCK! i wish when i went to philmont in 2007 we had those type of pants there much better than the old zip offs. i like the new hat too, i prefer baseball caps over trucker mesh caps. the belt buckle is great i think! but i still will wear my philmont one. some parts i love other parts i dislike.

Count me in the negative. here are my complaints.

1) Smokes pocket on the left sleeve. IF you really needed a smokes pocket, and you don't, at least put it on the right sleeve where a POR emblem doesn't go on top of it.

2) On the long sleeves, the Swiss tabs need top be an inch or more higher

3) BUTTONS on the front pockets, esp. since the current temp patch button is worthless.

4) Needs a BSA strip or direct embroider. the stickers do come off.

5) Ditto the Flag, either direct embroider or patch it.

6) and this one is more instruction oriented than uniform apparel, GIVE CLEAR CONCISE ISNTRUCTIONS, I.E. ISSUE AN INSIGNIA GUIDE AND/OR INSPECTION SHEET TELLING US WHAT COLOR PATCHES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WORN!

Sorry for the caps on 6, but that has irked me. I bought a centennial uniform with the green numbers and trained strip only to find out that first CS leaders wear a tan and red number with red and tan trained strip, then the current wear red and white numbers and a red and tan trained strip. No direction to nationla scout shop employees, no direction to distributors, and no direction to leaders, scouts and parents until 5-6 months AFTER they issue the uniform.

And this problem was revisited last nite at my pack's first meeting of the year. the First year Webelos and some new leaders didn't know what patches ot get. PLUS you got the 2nd year Webelos wearing the tan and greens b/c that is what they were told last year when they got their uniforms. LOTS of complaints by parents and leaders after the meeting!

I'm no fan of the ODR. I own both. I universally dislike most of the ODR.

But the new centennial has a fabric that works well in the field (supplex). I like the toned down colors. The pockets are weird and I don't have a valid use for them. The epaulets are useless and for show only. But it fits well and seems functional. But I'm a minimalist and put only the required flair on it.

When in the wilds, I prefer my Columbia or REI supplex shirts as they are more functional. Lighter and have more ventilation. No hang dangs to catch on branches.

But back to my unit. Haven't heard a complaint from the boyz on the new uni vs. old. Most guys just roll with what they are wearing.

I'll agree that the supplex shirt doesn't look as "nice" as the poly/cotton blend does. That being said, I can sweat in a snowstorm....literally. I remember the 2005 Jamboree where it was 100 degrees in the shade with about 150% humidity. The t-shirts our council bought for the contingent was 100% cotton. I stayed wet about 20 hours per day from the time I arrived at Jambo until I left. I'll be wearing nothing but quick drying synthetic t-shirts and the supplex uniform at Jambo in 2010.

Time Warp alert...

I remember back in the 70's when the ODL uniform was intrduced, no one in the Troop liked it eithr, it was differnt from the old one.

No one like the 21rst Century Wood Badge curriculum either, because its different. Well, a few people say they do, its just because they don't understand, and if you don;t understand there is no point in explaining it to you.

No one liked the addition to the First Class requirements that a scout had to invite a nonscout to a meeting and talk abotu scouting to them.

No one likes the inclusion of EDGE into the rank requirements

No one likes change yet nothing is permanet no wonder we are an unhappy lot(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

My son has told me that he really likes the new switch backs and the new socks. He also thought the older switch backs were a big improvement over the old de la Renta pants.

Regarding the shirt, he has expressed the view that it isn't stylistically different enough from the old de la Renta one to make him a fan. Before I sewed them flat, I asked him about the shirt pockets and he said he doesn't care one way or the other about them since he doesn't use them anyway.

He hasn't worn the new shirt much yet, so from a functionality stand point, he hasn't made any comments on the new shirt.

So I guess his vote might be one thumb up for pants/socks, one thumb down for the shirt. Tally that how you will, Calico.

As for me, I really like the idea of the switchbacks, but unfortunately the sizing isn't ever going to work for me. Unisex pants sizing is just plain dumb. I'm bummed out because I didn't like the old pants at all and really wanted to get the new ones.

I do like the new shirts a whole lot more. The cut is much better and I prefer the supplex material. I could live without the bellows pockets but that's something I can fix easily enough with a needle and thread. When I finally spring for a new shirt for myself, I'll be happy to buy one of the new style shirts.

I prefer the newer socks, but the old ones weren't deal breakers for me either (so long as we're not talking knee socks, which I would never wear).

The Swiss tabs on the sleeves ARE too low and too long.

Want the old style Switchbacks back OR leg zips on new ones.

Like the tech fabrics but the feel is clammier than similar fabrics from major manufacturers.

Any other problems I have with the uniform would be best addressed by some push backs and a run...