• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread)

Relevant yes. I just purchased my first! I remember

fondly my Scoutmaster wearing one many years ago along with

the Red Jacket. Even though not many wore these even back then

it just fit somehow.

At the scout shop last week on a lark I inquired if my possible size was in stock

and I found out it was. First hat was in a plain white box which did not fit.

Second box was the *Stetson* box and as soon as I tried it I knew i was walking out with it.

Fit like a glove.

Now it's sitting in the box awaiting the arrival of a hat press ;)

Relevant? Now more than ever.

One of my JROTC instructors in HS was a DI at Parris Island.Somehow or another the topic of smokey bears came up and waterproofing them. He suggested the polyurathane approach saying the water beads off it. He wouldn't recommend polyurathaning combat utilities though; while the water beads off you, the clothes are a little stiff.

Not to put a damper on the enthusiasm over the Smokey (I happen to be in favor of them, by the way, but do not own one), but Dimemaker, are you sure what you got is the Campaign Hat or is it the Expedition Hat? I only ask because, to the best of my knowledge, Stetson was producing variations on the Expedition Hat, whereas the Campaign Hat was a BSA Supply product, and you said that the hat you bought was in the Stetson box.

BRKLN,

Having worked supply, I can tell you that unless the box is unopened from Charlotte, hats will get put in the wrong box on occassion. Esp. if the hat is on display and the customer wanted a box. Most folks don't ask for, or throw away the boxes.

The campaign hat is Scouts. My dad wore one, and was part of why I wanted to be a Scout growing up. Shortly after my son was born, my dad bought him a campaign hat to wear when he was old enough.

I wear a campaign hat. I found a surplus store that sells them for $10. Add the band and the Scout emblem and you're set. I was able to outfit my entire troop, and believe me, we were noticed at camp. I also like that with the campaign hat, 1st Class Scouts can wear the old 1st Class pin on the hat instead of the usual emblem. Every one of my scouts that earned 1st Class and got the pin wore it with pride.

I've since moved to a new area, and have been called as a Scoutmaster in my new troop, so the campaign hat is again drawing attention. We already handed out one 1st Class hat pin at a CoH and the young lad is now trying to figure out how he can get a campaign hat so he can wear it. He is one of my best scouts, even if he is one of the youngest.

My WB course must have been pretty traditional: the staff had the campaign hats, shorts, knee-socks, red jackets, and had their Troop 1 POR patches. We didn't have to strip our uniforms, though.

I've just been asked to be a TG at a WB course, and I'm already wondering how much my course was "old school" or if this new course is "sloppy". No unity in the uniform, no patches to ID who is what role in Troop 1.

Diogenes,

I hate to say it, but according to the IG found here: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/03.aspx

As part of the First Class Emphasis, the large standard metal pin, No. �00017, has been reinstated as an option to the cloth First Class rank badge. The large pin also may be worn only by boys on the front of the campaign hat, No. �501, and the expedition hat, No. �637. [emph. added} Adults may wear the adult universal hat pin, No. �50150, on the campaign hat and the expedition hat.

So actually ANY YOUTH can wear the FCP, irregardless of the fact that #1 it IS advancement and is restricted, and #2 other rank pins, save Tenderfoot and Eagle, are available. me personally I say make ALL the rank pins the same size and authorized for youth to wear. But I'm old school.

GREAT JOB ON THE SMOKEY BEAR CULTURE! ( yep i'm screamin at ya now in "attaboy' fashion. ;) )

BklynEagle

I am very much sure that this is indeed the Campaign Hat. I have the Expedition hat as well so I know the difference. On the leather sweat band it Says John B. Stetson Company and came in the very big Stetson box that they ship all their hats in. (Cowboy ect)

It's weird there was the other one which I looked at first which did not fit (wrong size) my supply friend brought them down in the box individually as they only have the tiny size 7 one on display., It came in a different plain non Stetson box and seemed just well different, dare I say not as nice. Though admittedly I did not see them side to side. My clerk friend said they are supposed to be exactly the same.

Supply Experts what say you? Is there two versions of the Campaign hat being sold?