Is the campaign hat still relevant?

I have a campaign hat. I bought it soon after I completed Wood Badge. I bought it for $69, which was a significant expenditure for a college student, but I did so with the understanding that I would be doing training in the future and "the hat," as I came to know it, was a fixture in the training courses in that council.

Soon after, I became Scoutmaster of the Troop I was working with. At first I didn't wear "the hat" for the day-to-day troop stuff. This changed at an OA campfire when I wore "the hat." The boys immediately took notice, and insisted that I wear "the hat" on a regular basis as it had become the symbol of the Scoutmaster. This continued for two years, until I finished college, found a job, and moved to another town.

Some years later, I was invited to serve on the staff of a WB21 course. I was rather stunned to learn that "the hat" was no longer a requirement and was actually frowned upon. So now "the hat" has become somewhat of an anachronism and I wonder, is the campaign hat even relevant to Scouting anymore, and if so, how?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(in very loud booming voice) WHO FROWNS UPON WEARING THE CAMPAIGN HAT !?!?!?!?!?! ;)

Seriously though it is still an official uniform item, and can be worn. And since it appears that you did the old WB course I would wear it unless the T1's uniform is something different. Then of course you do need to wear the T1 hat.

If they don't like the hat b/c of it's connection to the old WB course, sorry but that is ridiculous.

As for relevance, YES the campaign is still relevant. It is a definitive trademark or scouting in the USA and worldwide, and IMHO the best looking and most practical hat ever authorized for uniform wear (sorry beret lovers). If you look at scouting pics form around the world, and even stereotypes of scouting, the two most common items are the smokey bear and the necker. Sashes are a close 3rd. Just look at UP.

So wear your smokey and wear it with pride. As for me "they can pry it from my cold dead hands." LOL

( and yes I am passionate about my smokeys)

I like mine, the kids like it when I wear it, and "new" parents immediately identify me as the Scoutmaster from the rest of the uniformed adults.

Plus, (from another threads current conversation) in a Scouting context it really feeds my ego. Hee, Hee, Hee. ;)

All I really need is that the kids like it, and the uniforming guide doesn't prohibit it.

"Some years later, I was invited to serve on the staff of a WB21 course. I was rather stunned to learn that "the hat" was no longer a requirement and was actually frowned upon. So now "the hat" has become somewhat of an anachronism and I wonder, is the campaign hat even relevant to Scouting anymore, and if so, how?"

Wear "the hat" cept at WB21, if they don't want to wear them its their choice, and loss. I don't have one yet cause I'm cheap and have a hard to fit head.

sherminator505, what hat was approved?

If "the hat" (or any official hat) is an official uniform item, why would it not be "approved" for WB21, and who is empowered at the council level to decide that an official uniform item may not be worn?

Sheesh. Another reason not to sign up.

Once upon a time, WB required a uniform with all insignia off, a slick as some would call it, except for the CSP, red and white 1, and correct me if I'm wrong, your patrol medallion.Also you wore a regular BSA ballcap. Staff all wore their beads, neckers, woggles, and smokey bears.

BA22, the predecessor to JLT, also required scouts to show up with a new shirt with no badges except CSP, red and white 22s, and flag (this was when you bought the flag seperately). No rank knots, patrol medallions, etc. Again a slick uniform.

Staff wore either their WB regalia (adults) or BA22 regalia (BA22 necker, BROWNSEA strip between the CSP and 22) and all wore the smokey bear.

The purpose of this was that irregardless of your lPOR in your home troop and you rank, you were hear to learn like your patrol mates, and you became essentially a New Scout in the BROWNSEA TROOP #22.

However this changed for the youth with JLT, and WB21C don't require this. But I do know there is now a WB ball cap, so that may be the uniform hat they want you to wear?

I don't know and won't find out this year as the second weekend of WB is the same weekend I go to CS NCS.

Yes, if you have it, wear it when you are able. Kids love it; I forgot to take mine this year to camp, and they kept asking me where it was. As far as WB goes, the reason given in our courses is simply the cost, as pointed out, expensive. I found mine by a fortunate chance in an antique mall; was in its original shipping box from the early 70's, barely or never worn, and paid $25. I ran out of the store, afraid they somehow made an error. At the time, they were running about $80 from supply. Since then, I have found early boy versions at flea markets for under $20 a couple of times, as well as an extra-extra large one for $8, in really good condition. I grabbed it and gave to an assistant who has that specially sized body. Fit him perfectly. We take the others to camp sometimes, as well as the old service cap style that fold. I have around 20 or so, and we wear them to assemblies in the evening. Lots of attention, and the kids generally like them.

The draw back, besides cost, is simply the care of them is sometimes hard, especially at camp. But, you can buy facsimiles that will pass for a lot less. Have one from the 85 Jambo that I wore as an ASM. Covered it with pins, and it now sits in a corner of our scout room as a display item; it got wet and lost its shape. The pins also distorted it; it weighs close to 4 pounds and got kind of uncomfortable at the end anyway. Again though, it is liked on the shelf, and starts conversations at times.

I love my campaign hatI bought mine two years ago after my first full year as a scoutmaster. I do not wear it to day to day scouting events and activities. At the urging of some of our scouts, I originally bought it to wear at assemblies at summer camp. I must admit was a little hesitant in purchasing it because not many adults in my area wear one and did not want to stick out (or have anyone think I was on an ego trip). However, the scouts in our troop like it when I wear it. In fact I had to turn around on my way to an assembly and go back to my tent once at summer camp this year because my ASPL reminded me I forgot it! Over the past three years the troop has taken to a since of pride in their uniforms, mine included. Yes, I think it is still relevant to scouting. As someone has said it is a definite trademark to scouting. And as someone else said "all I really need is the kids like it" Amen

scoutldr,

In our council, the CD and/or SPL sets the uniform for the staff. The staff and participants all wear the same course baseball-style hat. These are usually very popular - you see participants wearing them all the time after the course is over - so there aren't any complaints.

I love the campaign hat - on other people. I think it looks sharp and absolutely is one of the predominant symbols of Scouting. But I can't wear it (or any other kind of hat) except during the winter. I overheat something fierce even in mild temperatures. I tried on a friend's campaign hat once and almost instantly began sweating through my clothes.

The campaign hat is still relevant.

As a scout, I had a cheapo version to wear to/from our trek at Philmont (not on the trail though). It looked good but got wet, out of shape, etc, so it went in the trash eventually.

Haven't felt the need to wear one since. No good reason, just personal taste as I liked keeping the hat clean and level, but couldn't wearing a backpack, etc. As an ASM in the '80s, I wore a boonie hat (uniform police, sorry, the statute of limitations has no doubt expired!) and the troop ball hat. Though not at the same time.

Most glad to hear that others like to wear them, and that scouts respond to them too. Very good news indeed.

If we can bring the campaign hat back to mainstream use, along with full size neckerchiefs, we'd have the foundation for an awesome--and functional--uniform.

DR77,

Funny you should mention the hat and full size necker. I've worn my European neckers and a campaign hat to every pack function save one (wore the sea scout uni and a pirate hat to promote CSDC), and the youth think the hat is cool and the other leaders like the full length neckers and are working on a custom one. Price of the hats are a little scary, esp. since we have leaders who have lost their job, so they are thinking of a custom hat instead. Still a few want the smokey instead.

One person can make a difference ;)

Eagle92, good points. Yes, cost is a factor for the hat, I overlooked that. Perhaps there can be a deluxe model, and another that cost less and has more flexibility, or is made of a different material...perhaps "scoutproof" is the word I'm looking for.

This is what I wear, the two hats issued to me by my old council, one for completing BA22 and the other for staffing JLT. They are both US military surplus, and cost about $19-$25 dollars. I forgot how much the offical BSA hatband is, but I got mine in the UK for about $12 ( approx 6 pounds) and then branded them at the first camp I worked at. The nicer of the two, the one i save for indoor stuff and ceremonies, has a BSA chinstrap, about $8. The other one that has gone through a tropical storm, is very well worn, and been shot at (don't ask)has a leather bootlace for a chin strap.

I've also seen one guy wear a beaded hatband instead of a leather one, LOOKED SWEET! But i don't have the time finish beading my feather drops for my dance regalia, let alone time to bead a hatband.

If YOU like it and YOU feel comfortable in it then wear it and don't worry what others think. By the way, I got mine (used DI hat that looks just like the BSA hat) from OLCnet.com for 10 bucks. I just took off the ribbon and put on the BSA hat band and adult hat pin. I admit that I only wear mine on special occassions as I don't want to mess it up and felt hats are very warm.