Adults wearing uniforms to boost ego?

I think it's an issue of did the individual pursue the patch for the sake of "bling" or in the course of being a good Scouter and doing what you are supposed to do anyway come across earning the patch.

It's pretty hard for a Scoutmaster to not earn a knot if they simply stick it out for two years and take the training opportunities they are supposed to undertake along with their regular duties. Is it wrong for him to wear that?

Motives are hard to judge, did so-and-so Scouter(not me) donate a grand a year to FOS because they are dedicated to Scouting or because they want to curry favor for that Silver Beaver (or other award).

I think this thread is ridiculous because in the end assessment, as long as the Scouter is making it possible for the Scouts to Scout and possibly even enhancing their experience - who cares if they "badge hunt" for adult wearable gidgets and gadgets.

(Disclaimer: after I earn my mile swim patch I plan on wearing it on my Swim Trunks, after I get back from Philmont I'll probably wear a dangler for a little bit also. And if I happen to promote Scouting by wearing my OA and Tribe of the Lone Bear(ToLB) danglege then so be it.)

Viva La Scouting!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No patch is required, no CSP nor position, nor any of it. The uniform is not required. Everyone draws their own ego boundary. A so-called "adult patrol" patch could be considered ego. A unit number too, bragging about your troop, as well as a CSP - "hey, hey look at us!!"

The really big ego pump is to remove "bling" from the uniform, and tell everyone you did so. Worse yet is to dismiss others as pompous generals etc.

When I picked up the new uniform shirt to augment my uniforms which I wear for the different "hats" I wear within the Troop and Council, I decided to keep it a "slick".

So, I skipped the Adult knots, Quality Unit, and OA flap.

Strangely enough, the only Scouts that asked about it were the younger Patrol.

"The committee member, for one, does not need to wear a uniform to perform their behind the scenes functions, and while they can technically wear one because there is a "PATCH" for the position, the uniform in this case is nothing more than a self ego booster for attending an adult meeting once a month, not even working with the kids. Why on earth does that person need to wear a uniform except to call attention to themselves."

Maybe, or like me and some others, while we wear a Committee Member patch we function often like a ASM, if only to have enough adults present.

The shirts with both temp patchs AND a hanging patch, pocket dangles, non-standard and usually oversized nameplates, pins mounted on shoulder loops, pins on collar, pastdate jambo patchs including J-CSPs, mulitpile Trained and/or QU patches are what I see as over the top. Some must think of them as service bars and overseas stripes.

Knot envy? Yeah I have a bit seeing as I only have my AOL to wear, I should live long enough to have to wonder if I have too many knots on my shirt. For now the patch sewed onto my right pocket from my summercamp will be my only extra bling. Working on my district training award, feels kinda cheezy getting a knot for doing what you should anyway, it likely be removed if things get crowded/cluttered.(This message has been edited by prairie)

And here my utter ignorance is displayed. I thought the CSP, WC and Unit numbers were required. That's at least what my scout shop told me when I bought my first uniform. But I guess you are right. If it were required, it would already exist on the uniform, like the US Flag (which is backwards by the way).

I find it interesting that some folks in the forums can hijack a thread, have a new thread created to address their specific rant, and have nothing more to contribute to that thread than a snarky one-liner! But I digress.

There are certainly a number of schools of thought here. There are those who operate under the impression that less is more. There are some that wear the knots with the idea that it encourages the boys to advance and to show off their advancement on their uniforms. There are some who have the idea that they need to look like a banana-republic general in their uniforms. And there are some that dismiss the whole notion as foolishness.

What is important is not simply how you wear your uniform, if you wear your uniform, or how you feel about how others wear their uniforms. What is important is your recognition that how you wear your uniform reflects your general attitude toward Scouting. What is more important is what you do in and around those uniforms and whether it is good for the boys we serve.

As Aerosmith and many others have said "never judge a book by it's cover." IT doesn't matter what is on the uniform. Wear what you earn or wear what you feel comfortable wearing, but wear it according to the Insignia Guide, and LIVE THE SCOUT OATH AND LAW, or THE SEA SCOUT PROMISE or THE CUB SCOUT LAW AND PROMISE, or THE VENTURING OATH as the case may be. it is more imporetant that we are a role model for the youth under us and our peers than the "swank" on the uniform.

We can argue this topic until the cows come home, but I think we are missing the important things about the uniform.

just my $.03 worth ( inflation you know :) )

Now I really have to wonder if I'm overdoing it by smacking on a PTC patch as my temp or cutting off the loop from this year's conference patch and sewing it on instead all the while wearing the belt I made at handicrafts, which says "PHILMONT 09" with my girly Philmont beltbuckle.

I used to just have to worry about runs in my panty hose.

Perhaps we should all just wear the bling we want to correctly and not focus on the personal motivations of those who wear more or less.

Gern,

I'm impressed. So, are you going to be the lone ranger in your district, being the only one in complete uniform? IIRC, you said hardly anyone in your district wears anything other than the uniform shirt.

As for my uniform, I have 5 shirts - 3 for SM, 1 for District, 1 for COR. I wear the 5 knots I have been awarded - AOL, CM, DAM, SM Training, WD Boyce. I wear my WB beads. I have the Emer. Prep pin on my left pocket flap, OA flap on my right. Usually have a temp. activity patch on my right pocket. I just traded in my WB Staff leather belt for a Northern Tier. I'm sewing the Loon patch on my jac-shirt. So, how big of an egotist am I? What is bling, and what isn't?

Yep, your right, the program is for the boys. Please explain to me how anything I'm wearing takes away anything from the boys.

As Reagan used to say, "well there you go again".

Brent, never said nobody in my district wears the complete uniform. I've said, there are no fully uniformed units in my district. There are plenty of fully uniformed leaders and scouts, but not entire units. When I attend a scout function, I wear the full, complete uniform. (socks too now that they have them that are reasonable.)

And Brent, my uniform used to look like yours, all doodadded out. Patches I was real proud of (Philmont, Polar Bear, Okpik Instructor, OA). But one day I looked at myself in the mirror and said, am I doing this for me or for the boys. Did my plumage enhance the boys program or just my ego? I decided it was my ego and removed it all. It changed my attitude toward my service. You may call that egotistical, and perhaps it is, but at least its covert.

This reminds me of a story my Marine brother shared with me. I don't know if it's true, but it's certainly relevant. It told of a habit that some of the Marines on a particular post had of carrying horse whips. The odd thing about this was that there were no horses on the post. They came to be known as "swagger sticks" and were popular for a time.

Eventually, some at the post began to see the folly in this and began to voice their strong opinions on this and a great controversy ensued. Finally the CO had to do something about this, so he issued a memo stating the following:

Regarding horse whips (or "swagger sticks"): By all means, those who require this level of ego support should carry one!

Soon, all of the "swagger sticks" disappeared.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)